Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 06:43 AM   #1

North Carolina Hwys

We are going to Highlands NC, thinking of going 64 from Maggie Valley thru Chasiers.
Anybody familiar with this route ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coming from Maggie Valley, I would suggest taking hwy74 to exit 81, this will put you on hwy441 going towards Franklin NC. When you get to Franklin take hwy64 to highlands/cashiers area.

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile

Old 06-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would suggest you see this link if you're thinking of taking your MH from Frankiln to Highlands via 64.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._...North_Carolina

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #4

I have read several posts that say avoid 64 between Franklin & Highlands, I am thinking of coming from the east on 64 thru Brevard & Chasiers ?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtovo View Post
I have read several posts that say avoid 64 between Franklin & Highlands, I am thinking of coming from the east on 64 thru Brevard & Chasiers ?

Yup. Driving a car is tough enough ( I've driven it a few times ) . A MH would be harrowing especially with a toad.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
While neither route is very easy, there are literally rocks jutting out on a blind right hand curve that will be very hard to make the turn and not scrap the MH going from Brevard to Highlands on 64. Either route will require caution. I would not take my 31" with toad on either route.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
NC highway 64 is not a highway I'd want to drive in a big rig. The best advice you've been given is Robin's post #2
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
North Carolina Hwys

I drove by this morning and a 20,000 lb maximum is posted going from Franklin to Highlands along with a warning of sharp curves (EEK) .

Old 06-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You didn't say what your exact destination is, but if it is an RV resort that caters to big rigs they probably will have a suggestion as to how best get there. I know Mountain Falls at Lake Toxaway does (it can be found on their web site).

It's been a long time since I've done the stretch of 64 you're talking about and at that it would have been in the toad. I suspect I may be forgetting some harrowing narrow and blind curves - highway 64 in general is not meant for big vehicles.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #10

That road is a blast on a sportbike though some are even better

That said you might want to avoid from Franklin to Lake Toxaway if possible in an RV. Also the bit through the Ocoee if you are getting US64 at I75 and heading east (sounds like you aren't). I think you could do both but they would be slow and stressful IMO.

Getting to Maggie Valley will also entail some hilly winding roads as even I40 has a intense section.

If you go take your time and pull over once in a while to rest/let folks by. They will appreciate it and so will you.

Hope you enjoy.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Cliff tall is correct about the 20k restriction. There is also a max vehicle length. I went to NCDOT.GOV http://www.ncdot.gov/travel/statemap...uckrestrix.pdf and found on page 14 that the 20,000 lb restriction goes from Franklin all the way to Henderson county which is on the other side on Brevard. I would not want to drive a MH on that section of hwy64.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

Today I came up 64 from Ashville /Brevard to Highlands, it wasn't that bad.
I went into the Lowes in Brevard & unhooked the Silverado & DW followed me. I don't think I would bother doing that the next time, from Brevard to Mountain Falls there where a lot of 25 mph curves but from there west to Highlands it was a little more difficult but nothing like RT 14 in Wyoming going to Yellowstone!
There are several places to pull over & two sections where there is a passing lane to let people pass. My destination is a small place "Hidden Creek"in the Highlands & the owner recommend 64 from the East, I was told not to try 64 west of Highlands to Franklin & the link that Clifftail sent also said to avoid that section, that's why I didn't follow Robins post #2. I didn't see any signs saying anything about weight or length, the only caution signs where west of Brevard saying "trucks use caution ahead sharp curves" I also saw several semis.
I wouldn't recommend somebody who wasn't comfortable with mountain roads to drive this route, but if you take your time & don't worry about causing a backup behind you it's very do able.
Thanks to all for your suggestions & information.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad you made it without difficulty, did not mean to add any anxiety to your trip.