Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Northern california, 101, to wash.

This Texas flatlander is on the move again. Currently on Avenue of the Giants near Hwy101. Plan on continuing 101 for another 400 miles or so, then maybe east. What should I try to see in N Cal and Oregon? Any suggestions always welcome. 30ft DP, toad. Can walk maybe 200 ft on flat ground..........thanks, ronspradley

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

I would travel up the Oregon coast all the way to Grays Harbor area (West Port, WA) then head east to the Seattle area. From there you can spend time on the Pennisula and go east over the pass to Eastern Washington (Lake Chelen area, Vantage (on the Columbia River) down to the Tri-Cities area and then down to the Columbia Gorge. If I was making that trip I would take about 3 to 4 weeks. Some of the most beautiful country in the world.

JMHO

Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This weekend, May 28, 29, 30, the Kinetic Grand Championship - Humboldt County, California is going on in Eureka. It is a must see event if you are in the area. We stayed at the Fairgrounds RV Park in Eureka last year.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #4

Ron:

The state DOT just opened the North Cascades Highway (Highway 20). It's about 6 weeks later than it's ever been. There was over 70 FEET of snow over the highway. Definitely worth going over that way. To see where they've plowed through all that snow is mind-boggling

If you continue on 101 up the Washington coast, you're going to end up having to take a ferry ride. That can get a bit pricey, but it's something those of us that live here have learned to live with. It's often cheaper than driving around Puget Sound at 8 mpg! Just be aware that the Port Townsend to Coupeville ferry only has one boat running and reservations are a good idea, particularly for an RV.

The heading photo on this site is a NW Washington location, just west of Port Angeles on the North coast, facing Vancouver Island across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. We haven't been there yet, but plan to do so this season.

If you decide not to come all the way up the coast of Washington, I'd recommend heading east on Highway 18 from just north of Lincoln City through McMinnville to I-5. If you go all the way to Astoria, there's a significant back-tracking to the south to get over to I-5. It's gorgeous country all the way to the north coast, but it takes a while.

Welcome to the hilly bit! We've lived here for over 40 years since emigrating from the UK (the last 12 in Anacortes) and agree with my UK-based sister who reckons Anacortes is where God goes on his vacation. We think that if the mountain doesn't have a line where vegetation ends and everything above is bare rock and snow, it doesn't qualify as a mountain.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron

The Oregon Coast is beautiful but the Northern part is too windy (not wind) and has too many logging trucks for me. We usually cut over South of Florence on 126 to Eugene. There are probably other places to cut over to Hwy 5 if you decide to go farther North.

Winchester Bay has a beautiful RV Park Winchester Bay RV Resort at Salmon Harbor Marina in Winchester Bay, Oregon, located right between the Ocean and the Harbor. Deerwood Park index.htm is Eugene is also a very nice Park.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you make it to Florence you will see some of the biggest Rhododendrons in the world.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 AM   #7

Agree with Frankdamp on his recommendation re North Cascades highway. Used to live in WWash (went to school in Bellingham) and Mom lived in E wash so we took the trip many times. It is like driving through the Swiss Alps. Great road. One tight turn just after Marblemount.

Enjoy.
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We are trying to stay north on 101 to Pacific City, OR to visit a high school friend. Then thru Portland and on east. We will go to Yellowstone some time down the road. All for now, we have a date with some 1000 year old redwoods........thanks again. ronspradley
Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
Ron

The Oregon Coast is beautiful but the Northern part is too windy (not wind) and has too many logging trucks for me. We usually cut over South of Florence on 126 to Eugene. There are probably other places to cut over to Hwy 5 if you decide to go farther North.

Winchester Bay has a beautiful RV Park Winchester Bay RV Resort at Salmon Harbor Marina in Winchester Bay, Oregon, located right between the Ocean and the Harbor. Deerwood Park index.htm is Eugene is also a very nice Park.
logging trucks? the spotted owl and tree huggers took care of them.
they are now the endangered specie
Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
logging trucks? the spotted owl and tree huggers took care of them.
they are now the endangered specie
In July of 07 we drove down the Coast from Astoria. From Astoria to Tillamook, the logging trucks in both directions were going faster than I thought possible.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
I admit it. 101 finally got the best of me. First day drove from San Frisco to Avenue of the Giants and spent night.

Then on up coast to Bandon. Gave up the ghost today at Lincoln City and took 18, stopping in McMinnville, Oregon (a route suggested here). After the hail storm at the RV park, went to see the Spruce Goose. The Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum is great. Quite a surprise to find this huge plane and museum in middle Oregon!

I know it is not fair and all, but I was ready for a change in terrain. And the scenery was great, in those brief instances of a glimpse of what we were passing by. Probably the co-pilot would have a different view. I know everyone says 101 is "doable", and after driving much if it, I would agree. But for the pilot, it reminds me of a government sponsored senior trip in 1966 and 67 to a lovely bit of SE Asian real estate. Again, the terrain was sometimes breathtaking, but all in all, I will probably decline a repeat trip, at least as the pilot.

And now on to SE Washington, northern Idaho. Ending up in Yellowstone. Still looking to find best route and best entrance point. We will stay just outside of park and drive or shuttle thru park.

Thanks again for all the help...............ronspradley
Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hey Ron:

If you have the time, DO strongly consider a few days side trip from your Northern Idaho destination on up into Canada (ie., Bonners Ferry to Cranbrook to Golden and E. to Lake Louise) for a visit to Banff & Lake Louise. From Banff it's an easy shot back down toward your Yellowstone destination. Ya won't regret it!!

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Hey Ron:

If you have the time, DO strongly consider a few days side trip from your Northern Idaho destination on up into Canada (ie., Bonners Ferry to Cranbrook to Golden and E. to Lake Louise) for a visit to Banff & Lake Louise. From Banff it's an easy shot back down toward your Yellowstone destination. Ya won't regret it!!

Steve & Lynette

Looking at the maps. What kind of road is Hwy 2 crossing in the mountains?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not hesitate to drive Hwy 101 from one end of Oregon to the other! It is a beautiful drive and can be handled by the largest of rigs. There are lots of campgrounds along the way although you might want reservations as summer is approaching. The sights are amazing. The beaches are public along the entire length. There are sand dunes, rocky headlands and sandy beaches. There are cute little towns that each have their own personality, art communities to Cony Island type resorts. Take the Rogue River jet boats in the southern part of the coast. Stop at the Sea Lion Caves in the south central part. See Depot Bay which is the smallest boat harbor in the world and has a nasty entrance from the ocean. You can take whale watching boats from there. Fort Stevens State Park in the north part of the state has an old gun emplacement that protected the mouth of the Columbia River during WWII and is interesting to see. The Japanese actually fired on this emplacement during the war. Astoria has the Astor Column which is interesting to see and has a great view. There are steps inside so you can climb to the top but that probably won't be doable for you. There is also a maritime museum in Astoria that is worth the time. The Astoria Megler bridge is a neat looking bridge that crosses the Columbia River at Astoria but beware of cross winds and drive slowly if you try it. The Oregon Coast is among the most beautiful coastlines in the country. Try it, you'll like it.

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote