Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Excel Owners Club
Northern California..44, 89 ... ??

We are currently in Lone Pine, Ca and headed north on US 395. Its been a great road and ride so far. However, once we get to Susanville, Ca we pick up 44 and turn west. After passing Lassen the road splits and 44 goes south toward Shingletown and 89 goes north toward McCloud. Either road will take us to Interstate 5 which is where we are headed.

After checking the Mountain Directory West, I saw that staying on 44 would give us some bigger up and downs. But can anyone tell me about Ca 89 which goes through McCloud before meeting up with Interstate 5?

thanks for your help

Lee and Loralie Parks
2006 Excel 30 RSO, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500
Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #2

I travel 89 twice a year or so in our RV. I'll use it anytime I can instead of I-5 when heading to Las Vegas or AZ - weather permitting. Hwy 89 is a good route - several passing lanes and places to stop for a break. I have not travelled 44. I have traveled 89 pulling my previous RV a 36 foot 5th wheel as well as driving three different motorhomes. Sometimes slow but beautiful highway.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
44/89 is good. Use it frequently in my 35 foot bus.

Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #4
Can you tell me how Hwy 44 is just east of where it hits 89? It looks like there are a couple of sharp hairpin turns which might give our long rig a problem and may indicate steep grades.
vernmargaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Excel Owners Club
From Susanville we took 44 west to the intersection with 89 and then north on 89 to McCloud and Mt Shasta. Leaving Susanville there was an uphill climb for a couple of miles, but after that it was a pretty nice drive. Nothing to worry about. However, if you stay on 44 all the way to I 5, I believe the road does have some bad turns and hills. Actually the worst part of the whole drive was I 5...boy is that road in bad shape. And then the pass going into Oregon was really something! But all in all, 395 north through Ca, then 44 and 89, was certainly the way for us to go.
Lee and Loralie Parks
2006 Excel 30 RSO, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500
Loralie is offline   Reply With Quote