Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #1

Looking for help in trying to determin the best months to travel the Northwest USA this year. What months are suggested as the best.Mostly
WA, Or, Northern Calif. Thanks for any feedback. Keith

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #2

Looking for help in trying to determin the best months to travel the Northwest USA this year. What months are suggested as the best.Mostly
WA, Or, Northern Calif. Thanks for any feedback. Keith

Old 12-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
My reccomendation would be June through September. The Northwest usually has beautiful weather in Summer. There can be some rain, but not for extended periods.

The end of this past August we were south of Bend, OR and had frost but the daytime temps were fine.

One of the most beautiful summers I ever had was in 1963 while in the USAF in Portland, OR.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of the most beautiful summers I ever had was in 1963 while in the USAF in Portland, OR </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OOOOOOHHHHHH, you just had to bring that area into the old memory didn't you...
One of the worst Sept thru Novembers I ever spent in my life was in Washington at Ft. Lewis in 66
Old 12-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
jfb

Have lived in Washington most of my life. Mid July through mid October is "generally" the best for Western Washington. Seattle is known for 35-40 inches of rainfall but it takes all year for it to accumulate. "Seattlites don't tan, they rust".

Eastern Washington "generally" has four seasons, hot in the summer and cold in the winter, maybe. The Walla Walla Valley is competing with the Napa Valley as the next "go- to" wine venue.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of the worst Sept thru Novembers I ever spent in my life </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ok... Sacs didn't know me then..so it wasn't my fault
I would say May through September for the best time...the mid-coast of Oregon has wild rhododendrons blooming at that time. Florence actually has a "Rhodie Festival" the third weekend of every May.

Have fun on your trip...and if you pass through Eugene...give me a holler!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Being a former Washingtonian, I can vow to all of the previous statements about the weather. West of the Cascades, a light mist is known as a clear day. Washingtonians have webbed hands and feet.
I've hosted at Forest Service campgrounds on the Eastern side of the North Cascade Hwy., June and July. At 3800' elevation, you can have 82oF w/slight breeze, and be cold. Ft. Lewis is on the Olympic Peninsula where there is a Rain Forest. The RF averages about 100+ " of rain per year. Not much snow, just sleet, slush, mud and goo.
Eastern side gets much colder, much snow but drier weather. Along the Nachez river; Yakima, Toppenish...oh down, great wine country. The Columbia Basin (once a great prairie) is now trememdous farming (read "wine") country.
Winthrop, Washington is a must see town. It's not a city, and they don't allow any of the fast food companies, Burger King, McDonalds, Arbys, etc, into town. None outside either.

Pike's Market in Seattle is a must see/do. About the largest frewh fish market in the country is "Hank's" in Twisp, just 10+ miles from Winthrop. "Twisp" is indian for Yellow
Jacket.

Enjoy, have a great time.

Jim & Sandra Eddy
'03 Alpine Coach, 38'FDTS, Cummins ISC 350
'00 Saturn v6 S/W
Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
HHHmmmm Fort Lewis on the Olympic Peninsula not unless it has move since I last looked Puget Sound is between Fort Lewis and the Olympic Peninsula.
But other than that the tips are good. Mid August for the Olympic Peninsula is the best time. Same with the Or coast. As to the other side"the dry side of the Cascades I would lean to Sept as the Temperatures will be on the down swing unless you like the 90-100's.
For the Fastest route I5 cutting in in Cali. or the prettiest route 101 cutting in in Cali again then up the coast to the Olympic Peninsula with a side trip to Mount St Helens and Mount Rainer. Up I5 and a side trip to the San Juan Islands but this I would leave the RV and Toad to as the Ferry cost is many $$$$$$. Then back to I5 to SR20 the North Cascade Hyway to Winthrop. From here a route to the east Yellow Stone the Tetons or south through Utah.
Just what I would do in these months and I have traveled Northern Cali, Oregon and Washington (Washington mostly) as part of my job before retirement and the job was in the Weather.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #9

We live near Seattle Washington and have for last 35 years. We do not have webbed hands, maybe feet but not hands. Our summer is August 12th the rest of the time it may rain and it may seem a bit cold to some. July 4th is usually watching fireworks under a blanket or a heavy coat. Best weather is from late June to first week in October. June can be cool and a bit rainy sometimes. (50's nights and 70's day). July is usually a little warmer and dryer (60's to high 70's). August is usually the driest and warmest month and can get to 90 sometimes but mostly high 70's to low 80's in the day and cool off to low 70's at night. The rest of the year, expect light rain and cloudy cool days. BUT, it is green and really is beautiful country to see. We have the Pacific Ocean with many very nice state camp grounds on the coast like Grayland Campground. We have mountains with many National Forest Campgrounds and we have the arid eastern Washington that is more like being in a desert in the summer. You will find Washington a great place to visit and lots to do.

2007 Honda CRV
comp-time is offline   Reply With Quote