Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

NY to Georgia

Heading down to GA from NY. Need to know the route to take especially around the Baltimore and DC area. I know there are tunnel restrictions. What is the best way to go? I am a 40' motorhome pulling a 25' trailer, Help please

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamptonmel View Post
Heading down to GA from NY. Need to know the route to take especially around the Baltimore and DC area. I know there are tunnel restrictions. What is the best way to go? I am a 40' motorhome pulling a 25' trailer, Help please
you didn't say where in NY you are or where in Ga , you want to go.....I go from Conn to Fla quite often...so I go from Ct,,,,84 to 87 south to Suferrin,NY...then 287 to 78 to 81....I stay on 81 to Winchester,Va and take I-66 for 25 miles to Va rt 17 thru Warrenton,Va..then to 95 south....this puts you past all the DC and Baltimore crap....from here you can go to either the 95 or 75 side of Ga......Chuck

chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ditto on that exact route choice above. Again, depending on where you are in NY. Look for the fastest route to Rt. 81 south
Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
We also take I81 from Harrisburg to I-66 to Rte 17 to I-95 as well. That route is slightly longer than taking the beltways around Baltimore & DC. Rte 17 is very good and mostly all divided 4 lanes. The only way to avoid I-95 is to go west to I-77 in Cleveland and head due south. For us the total distance and driving time is about the same either way. The time of year and weather are major factors on which way we go. But, I-77 does have bigger and longer hills, though small compared to those in the Rockies.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did this last summer. Went across the Key Bridge (695) in Baltimore to 95, bypassed DC on 495 and took 95 down to 85 into Georgia. Not a bad route at all. Just time it so traffic hopefully won't be an issue. I did the 77 route two years ago. Some pretty steep hills on that one, but definitely doable.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Ditto on that exact route choice above. Again, depending on where you are in NY. Look for the fastest route to Rt. 81 south
Sorry I am coming from Long Island and going to Union Point, GA. I will be traveling NJ turnpike need to know directions via 95 through Baltimore and DC

Thanks
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The tunnels in Baltimore have a propane restriction. There's been some debate one here about how strictly that is enforced, but I didn't want to risk it. You can go around Baltimore on 695 either east or west and get to 95S. I went east over the Key Bridge because I thought it would be a prettier view.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry I am coming from Long Island and going to Union Point, GA. I will be traveling NJ turnpike need to know directions via 95 through Baltimore and DC

Thanks
I'm from LI too!, made the trip south a million times.

NJT is fine into I-95 take the bypass around Baltimore towards Towsend west around the tunnel.

The trick is hit DC after 9:00 Am before 3pm to beat the rush hours there head s 95 plenty of signs, before Richmond Va the 295 bypass is great...then keep going
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

Thank you all for the reply's, planning on heading out Tuesday, praying we can dodge bad weather. I first have to plow the Bus out, LOL
Old 02-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Thanks
I'd still take 78 west to 81.

Rt. 95 south and skirt around DC on 495. I'd tell you to take the Cape May ferry but I think you're too long with that trailer.

I've gone through the tunnels in Baltimore and was simply asked to turn off my propane tank before proceeding through
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I've gone through the tunnels in Baltimore and was simply asked to turn off my propane tank before proceeding through
When was that?

Never heard of such permission
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Once you cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge you'll be on I295 south. Once you merge into I95 south start looking for 896 south(sorry, I don't remember the exit number). You'll run into US 301 south and it will run you over the Chesapeake Bay bridge on Route 50 & 301 to Annapolis. At that point you can make a choice whether to go south into VA on 301 or stay on 50 west to the Beltway south around DC and go on I 95. You'll have to pick your own poison as 301 has lights and strip malls for 10-15 miles but most times it beats sitting in traffic on I 95 in Alexandria VA for an hour and a half. Like I said; you pick your poison.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
When was that?

Never heard of such permission
2008 on a trip to Savannah Georgia for Christmas.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I rolled into the Harbor Tunnel toll booth one night at 11pm with my class C on my first RV trip south in error. After mumbling my apology and professing my ignorance of the propane restriction the Toll collectors told me to go on through but she shouldn't have. She was pretty ticked at me too.
Always use the Key bridge and I 97 to 3 south now.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote