Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ocala, Fl to Dayton, OH

I hate to drive through Atlanta in a car. Not looking forward to next weeks trip in MH.

Anyone tried different routes such as I-65 or I-95 to I-26 to I-77.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #2

We drive from Columbus OH to Central FL two or three times a year. It's not that bad during weekends. Stay in the middle lane and relax. We've tried all of the other routes, but through ATL is the quickest and less elevation.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #3

I live about an hour and a half south of Atlanta just off I-75. If your schedule is flexible, I'd camp at High Falls state park (about 40 mins south) on a Saturday night and leave for Atlanta early Sunday morning. I hate driving through downtown, especially "spaghetti junction". I usually take I-275 around the western side of Atlanta. It's a little longer, but less white knuckled. The speed limit is usually 60 or below, but most Atlanta residents appear to have a 75 MPH waiver from the city. High Falls State Park
Old 06-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
We drive from Columbus OH to Central FL two or three times a year. It's not that bad during weekends. Stay in the middle lane and relax. We've tried all of the other routes, but through ATL is the quickest and less elevation.
Agree about weekends. Sunday is usually a piece of cake. However, I will be hitting Atlanta Thursday afternoon.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
I live about an hour and a half south of Atlanta just off I-75. If your schedule is flexible, I'd camp at High Falls state park (about 40 mins south) on a Saturday night and leave for Atlanta early Sunday morning. I hate driving through downtown, especially "spaghetti junction". I usually take I-275 around the western side of Atlanta. It's a little longer, but less white knuckled. The speed limit is usually 60 or below, but most Atlanta residents appear to have a 75 MPH waiver from the city. High Falls State Park
Park looks nice. I'll try it for a couple of days on the way back south. I do not stay at campgrounds when in route.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #6

Going straight through Atlanta is okay on I-75 all the way 10:00-3:00. Or at 5:00 am and after 8:00 p.m. Or weekends it's okay.

The key is to listen to AM-750 for traffic reports every 6 minutes, and listen for accidents or problems for "The Connector" under downtown.

If I was having to spend the night in the area, I'd be at the fantastic Stone Mountain Park campground for the night--8 miles off I-275 East on Hwy 78. It's simply one of the most breathtaking parks anywhere, with a big laser show every night in the Summer.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE

If I was having to spend the night in the area, I'd be at the fantastic Stone Mountain Park campground for the night--8 miles off I-275 East on Hwy 78. It's simply one of the most breathtaking parks anywhere, with a big laser show every night in the Summer.[/QUOTE]

Daughter lived at several locations outside the circle from about 1990 - 2005. We spent many evenings sitting on the grass in front of the big rock watching the show.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
[QUOTE

If I was having to spend the night in the area, I'd be at the fantastic Stone Mountain Park campground for the night--8 miles off I-275 East on Hwy 78. It's simply one of the most breathtaking parks anywhere, with a big laser show every night in the Summer.

Daughter lived at several locations outside the circle from about 1990 - 2005. We spent many evenings sitting on the grass in front of the big rock watching the show.[/QUOTE]

That park looks awesome. I need to see about spending a night there on our way down to FL. Thanks.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Return trip

When returning I will have many more chances to see and do. Suggestions on non interstate routes are welcome. Looking for land in middle TN will be on my list...