Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ocean City NJ to Woodstock Vt

I have a 2019 Newmar 45 Mountain Aire towing a Jeep 4 down.
This summer I will be visiting a friend in Ocean City NJ then proceeding to Woodstock Vt.
My trip planner has me going North from Ocean City on the Garden State Parkway to I 95 North and then onto 91 North
The 91 North I know pretty well
I was wondering about the GSP to 95 to 91 .
Anyone done that trip
Advice appreciated
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #2

I would suggest heading up to the top end of the GSP (to avoid the GW Bridge) and take I-287 east to cross the Hudson via the Mario Cuomo Bridge then to I-684 north all the way up to I-84 east to Hartford where you grab I-91 north. It may be a few miles more - but avoiding NYC and the potential delays will make up for it. There’s also a good rest area on the GSP before the NY state line that I like to fill up before heading back North from the shore.

Safe travels!
Old 01-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #3

As I recall there are 2 overpasses on the gsp up around the “Oranges” that have only 13 1/2 ft clearances in the center. I have a class A which is 12ft 6 in and don’t have a problem. You should be able to find out for sure by going to garden state parkway website. I use it all the time when going north to avoid nyc.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:53 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Like most shore towns, Ocean City is tight for a 45' to park and navigate. Hopefully you have a place to park your rig on the mainland.

GSP is fine but you should get an EXPass to save time/aggravation at the tolls. You will have to get use to getting the motorhome through a toll booth. Use the booth on the rightmost side for some additional width.

I usually go GSP to NY Thruway and hop on 90/Mass TP right before Albany then to 91. CT traffic can be just as bad an NYC traffic. As stated above, stay off the GW Bridge - if you do end up on it, you MUST take the upper level.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote