Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #1
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oceanside Ca to Phoenix Az

Interested in the easiest route from a "grade" and "wind potential" perspective.
South to the 8 and out OR, swing up the 15 and take 10.
Appreciate any experienced insight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
15 to 215 to 60 to 10. Probably done it at least 100 times over 25 years. Palm Springs can be very windy, but will be a tailwind.

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
CA 60 between I-215 and I-10 goes through some badlands and takes a twisting turning route with some steep grades for about five miles. If you want to avoid that and don't mind adding quite a few miles to the trip, take I-15 all the way to I-10. I-10 is pretty bumpy up there, though.

Otherwise, from Oceanside, take CA 78 East to I-15 North. Around Temecula, take I-215 North to CA 60 East in Riverside. CA 60 will end at I-10 in Beaumont. Take I-10 East all the way to Phoenix. Try to hold out for getting fuel until you reach Quartzsite, AZ. Hit either the Loves or the Pilot Station (I prefer Loves).
Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
CA 60 between I-215 and I-10 goes through some badlands and takes a twisting turning route with some steep grades for about five miles.

True. However, you can just get in line with all of the big rigs taking the same route. They know it saves time and fuel.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks slowmachine and others.. My maps program routes me out the 8 from Oceanside so it helps to ask those who have travel experience in the region.. Thks!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, I used to drive to Banning in the evening and sleep there until about 4:00 AM. There is a KOA there now, but I have never used it. That allowed me to hit the road, climb the long grade from Indio to Chiriaco Summit (Patton Museum!) in the cool morning air, then downhill for 90 miles to the river as the desert heat came up. My old VW Westfalia had no air conditioning. I stop at the first fuel in AZ at Ehrenburg Flying J, which I like better than congested Quartzsite.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, I used to drive to Banning in the evening and sleep there until about 4:00 AM. There is a KOA there now, but I have never used it. That allowed me to hit the road, climb the long grade from Indio to Chiriaco Summit (Patton Museum!) in the cool morning air, then downhill for 90 miles to the river as the desert heat came up. My old VW Westfalia had no air conditioning. I stop at the first fuel in AZ at Ehrenburg Flying J, which I like better than congested Quartzsite.

Huh? Is this a good route for a 38 ft gas MH with a toad?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quartzsite is more congested than Ehrenburg but fuel prices are better.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
It's the best one. The only other one is I-8 and you have some really killer grades on that one. The grade coming down from the mountains into the Imperial Valley is especially steep and winding. You are also more likely to run into some snow on that route than the other one (although, the past few years, that hasn't been much of a danger). There aren't as many places to stop on the way, either. The I-8 route also is longer and the traffic will be worse.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post

I have ridden in, convoyed with, and passed very many larger vehicles on this route. I have personally driven a 1.25 ton normally aspirated (no turbocharger) diesel pickup with an 11,000 pound trailer. There are a handful of fairly steep grades, but none are very long. Stay in the right lane with the truck traffic. They use the terrain to their advantage, gaining speed on the downhills to help with the next climb. At the worst part of it, you climb about 500 feet over 4 miles of road. Some sections are steeper than others. I-8 is just as steep (or worse in some sections) and is a longer route through heavier traffic.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another thing about this route - it is the only place that I have experienced engine overheating from a tailwind. After you pass the Palm Springs rest area on I-10, there is a long medium grade where, if the wind direction and speed are just right, a front radiator will get insufficient airflow to cool the engine. However hot it may be outside, heed the advice of the signs that tell you to turn your air conditioner off. Pulling over to the shoulder and idling will cool you down. IIRC, there are water barrels for those who waited too long to pull over.