Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

Oklahoma 69, South from I-44 to Dallas

Now that my inquiry on RV.NET RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Oklahoma 69, from I-44 South to Dallas. Good? Bad? has been hijacked by two dudes who want to argue, I am no longer getting any "useful" comments on this route.

Anybody here have any useful comments and experiences traveling on Oklahoma 69 from I-44 going down to Dallas? If it's really as bad as some have said on RV.NET, I'll just go the extra miles and take I-44 to Oklahoma City, and then South on I-35.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
I haven't been on US-69 since 2007 when we traveled from the Houston area to Branson, MO and back - we took US-69 from its southern junction with US-75 up to I-44 and back. At that time, I can honestly say that US-69 was worse than I-30/I-40 across Arkansas or I-10 across Louisiana at their worst. Uneven expansion joints and gaping potholes in the concrete road surface just about beat us to death.

Maybe the entire road has been refurbished by now - I don't know. Based on our experience, though, we'd be looking for alternate routes if we had to do it again.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #3

Route 69 is rough in many places. High truck travel to stay away from toll road & short cut. I took it by mistake a few months ago & I would avoid it at all costs. My suggestion is to take the Turner Turnpike (I44) to Tulsa & the hwy. 75 south. You will hook up with 69 again at McAlester. You will encounter another toll road, Indian Nation Turnpike between Henryetta & McAlester Hwy. 69 is a good road from there on south & even better in Texas.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We took 69 south from I44 to Sherman then west to I35W about a month ago. It is very rough in some areas. The left lane is better than the right lane but not by much. While it is rough, it saves enough time that I will use 69, but I reduce my speed to 50-55 mph to lessen the bad area. However, our coach is a very heavy coach and has a 10 air bag suspension. If drove a pickup with a trailer or 5th wheel, or a coach without air bags I probably would avoid 69!!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
In July we left Joplin area on 71 south, picked up I-40, then 69 & continued on to Dallas. Like any highway there were some rough spots but I'd do it again.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
With all respect, my memory of US-69 was that the worst stretch was from I-40 (Checotah, OK) on north to the I-44 junction near Big Cabin, OK.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
In July we left Joplin area on 71 south, picked up I-40, then 69 & continued on to Dallas. Like any highway there were some rough spots but I'd do it again.
Safe Travels
Bob
Cinderdog; If you want to go sightseeing that is not a bad way. Shorter from Joplin I-44 to Big Cabin, Ok US 69 south, it merges with I-75 and on into Dallas. I am a retired cross country trucker. I have driven that route more times than I want to count. Old Trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We lived in NE Oklahoma for several years and traveled Hwy 69 more time than I care to remember. The last time we were on it was exactly 2 years ago and there were some pretty rough sections. They are SLOWLY making repairs on it. The only thing to do is to slow down and not tare up the rig. The right lane is really the worst so we would drive in the left lane if there was no traffic and move over when we were being over taken.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote