Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 02:58 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the worst highways bar none.

The Mrs and I are on a two month road trip that started in Washington State and will take us to the Atlanta area and back. Due to the wicked weather that has been hammering the plains states and the southwest we have been trying to keep as far south as possible. In the process we decided to visit White Sands and Roswell, NM. (We never did find an alien.) The trip to that point took us through a couple of cities in Arizona we're considering to snowbird in, Tucson and Benson. So far Benson has pretty much won us over... but we shall see. Tucson has its good points.

After a beautiful drive through the Mescalero reservation we ended up in Roswell and then headed southeast toward Fort Stockton, TX. The nightmare begins. Hwy 285 in SE NM is one of the worst highways I've ever been on and I've been on quite a few over the years. We hit pot holes deep enough to swallow our motorhome. It was over 100 miles of the most poorly maintained and busiest highways around. The Permian oil fields extend into this part of the country and the oil/support trucks are running up and down that highway non stop. I don't think New Mexico has put any work into that road in decades.

After jarring my teeth loose for what seemed like an eternity we entered Texas and not too long after passing through Pecos we were on a well maintained and smooth road. It was astounding the change in the road surface and maintenance between the two states. I realize New Mexico like other states is strapped for cash, but they could at east fill the pot holes. Even then it's still a suspension testing roadway, but it wouldn't be as dangerous. While the highway was still rough at least the potholes were missing in Texas through Pecos. Not long after Pecos the highway seemed recently paved and was a pleasure to drive. Did I mention that 285 has a 65mph speed limit after you clear the small towns along the way? Unreal.

There's no way to avoid 285 if you're going to Roswell, through Carlsbad and on to Pecos. We won't be going that route again. We'll head south through El Paso on I10. We saw what we came for and got that out of our system. Just keep in mind that 285 can be a nightmare if you're headed that way.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a long and distinguished list of highways in the US tagged by someone on this forum as "The worst road in the country".

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Amen! This is a horrible road. We drove it about two weeks ago. However, I-40 in western New Mexico is the worst Interstate by far.
BethLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of I-40 is terrible. :(

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:32 AM   #5

Try the Alcan Highway from Burwash Landing to Beaver Creek in the Yukon. Then again this road is NOT in the USA!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
You likely will not like I-10 across the Gulf state much either
Old 05-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
OMGosh!!!! I took that route ONCE, and only ONCE, it's HORRIBLE and should be closed down permanently. Literally, you can only take parts of it at 15 mph or less, that's how bad it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

need some more? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
The Mrs and I are on a two month road trip that started in Washington State and will take us to the Atlanta area and back. Due to the wicked weather that has been hammering the plains states and the southwest we have been trying to keep as far south as possible. In the process we decided to visit White Sands and Roswell, NM. (We never did find an alien.) The trip to that point took us through a couple of cities in Arizona we're considering to snowbird in, Tucson and Benson. So far Benson has pretty much won us over... but we shall see. Tucson has its good points.

After a beautiful drive through the Mescalero reservation we ended up in Roswell and then headed southeast toward Fort Stockton, TX. The nightmare begins. Hwy 285 in SE NM is one of the worst highways I've ever been on and I've been on quite a few over the years. We hit pot holes deep enough to swallow our motorhome. It was over 100 miles of the most poorly maintained and busiest highways around. The Permian oil fields extend into this part of the country and the oil/support trucks are running up and down that highway non stop. I don't think New Mexico has put any work into that road in decades.

After jarring my teeth loose for what seemed like an eternity we entered Texas and not too long after passing through Pecos we were on a well maintained and smooth road. It was astounding the change in the road surface and maintenance between the two states. I realize New Mexico like other states is strapped for cash, but they could at east fill the pot holes. Even then it's still a suspension testing roadway, but it wouldn't be as dangerous. While the highway was still rough at least the potholes were missing in Texas through Pecos. Not long after Pecos the highway seemed recently paved and was a pleasure to drive. Did I mention that 285 has a 65mph speed limit after you clear the small towns along the way? Unreal.

There's no way to avoid 285 if you're going to Roswell, through Carlsbad and on to Pecos. We won't be going that route again. We'll head south through El Paso on I10. We saw what we came for and got that out of our system. Just keep in mind that 285 can be a nightmare if you're headed that way.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:08 PM   #8

Yep, The Oil Field Traffic destroyed it!
Old 05-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

The only reason their highways are poorly maintained is their priorities. It's pure politics that put the money where it goes and do not put it other places or fail to raise it in the first place.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:59 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just completed a trip that took us the entire length of I10, then up I95 to Washington, DC, then the entire length of I40. There are parts of I40 that are decent, and other parts that are terrible. Pretty much all the way through Arkansas was a nightmare, as was most of Arizona and New Mexico. In contrast the only part of I10 that I didn't care for was a tiny section in Louisiana just east of New Orleans. Most of I5 through California is pretty trashy as well.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And we thought I-5 in CA was bad! I think some of the bridge ends launched our Magna front axle off the ground!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
You likely will not like I-10 across the Gulf state much either
Totally agree! I hope to forever avoid this section.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 06-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We lived in Carlsbad, NM till about3 years ago. I never thought the roads were bad. A little narrow maybe.