Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Oregon and Northern Ca. On 101

35 ft motor home towing a car. We will be leaving Seattle Wa. Heading down 101 in Oregon and Ca. Wanting to go to Redwood National Park, then heading on south, but somehow I need to make a detour to Yreka, Ca on I 5. I am considering leaving the rv somewhere and driving the car, but am looking for suggestions from people familiar with the roads in that area. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tradewind98
Leave the rv behind. There is no good route to get from the Park to Yreka in an RV unless you want to back track through Crescent City and take 199 through Grants Pass over to I-5, then South to Yreka. There is CA-96 which travels across to Yreka, but I wouldn't take a RV through it.
Either way, it's a 3+ hour drive.
Good Luck

2013 Mini Cooper Clubman
Tradewind98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

I used to live in Etna (west of Yreka on highway 3). Do not take the 96 as said above. I would agree with the above and say you can take the RV over the 199 (I have not done this, but plenty of others have. I just made the trip north and went over the 299 to Redding and then up to Yreka. The 299 is fine for anything to travel, but it was higher elevation than I wanted so on our return trip we went back over to the 101 and then over to the 1 using highway 20. The 20 was a better option in my opinion. That's not what you were asking, but that is the route I took for my travels last summer. Don't think about taking the 299 to highway 3 at weaverville either. That road has a ton of turns and I wouldn't suggest taking an RV on it - much better to go over to Redding and then up, faster too. By looking at google maps, the fastest route for you coming south is taking the 199 over.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyadamn View Post
Don't think about taking the 299 to highway 3 at weaverville either. That road has a ton of turns and I wouldn't suggest taking an RV on it - much better to go over to Redding and then up, faster too. .
Definitely don't go north on CA 3. The Scott Mountain Summit pass is challenging in a car. That is not an exaggeration.

The drive from Crescent City to Yreka would take 3-3.5 hours in a car. It's a gnarly drive on 199 in a motorhome. There are a couple of very narrow sections. Add an hour more in a motorhome. It is a gorgeous drive to say the least. The driver won't be seeing much as they will be busy keep the rig on the road.

299 is no picnic either IMHO. Some prefer one over the other and refuse to drive the other.

If you are planning on leaving your motorhome overnight I would recommend Brookings over Crescent City.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I think I will get an RV park in Crescent City and explorer south by car, then take 199 with RV and car. After Yreka continue south on I 5.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
I think I will get an RV park in Crescent City and explorer south by car, then take 199 with RV and car. After Yreka continue south on I 5.
How far south are you headed? If not so far, I would recommend staying in Brookings.

avid
Old 10-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
On 199 just the south edge of Cave Junction, Oregon is Great Cats of America Great Cats World Park - Cave Junction, Oregon It has RV parking and is well worth a couple hours of time. We live not far from them and every time we have visitors we take them there. Kind of unbelievable that a small town would have such a great attraction.

199 does have a few miles of sharp curves and narrow road but truckers use it all the time. I take my RV with tow car across it several times a year. If you are looking for or a place to overnight on 199 about 5 miles north of the CA/OR border is Lone Mountain RV Park https://www.lonemountainrv.com/. Very nice there.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #8

Do not recommend highway 20 or 1 into Fort Bragg CA. Not recommended for anything over 40'. Drove it, 29 miles, 1 1/2 hours with sharp turns.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #9

What about to Redding?

I appreciate the wisdom posted so far, but we have a slightly different route question.
We're driving a 37' gas MH with a toad. So far we've driven from Michigan to and around Oregon.
We're visiting some family I hadn't seen in 52 years, and are currently in Seaside OR. We're planning on driving 101 down the coast, then Rte 38 from Reedsport to Roseburg.
After a week or so in Roseburg, we were thinking of Rte 42 from Roseburg to Coos Bay and 101 down to Redwood National Park. (Is this a good route?)
From there, we'd like to get to a CA info / welcome center -- probably Arcata.
We definitely want to spend time with a good friend in Redding.

As I've read this thread so far, I'm beginning to wonder if the trip from Roseburg to the Redwoods is worth it.

Any advice?
Old 10-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #10

If you have never been to the Redwoods before, perhaps even if you have, it is worth it. Get out and take a walk around at least one grove. Some are even handicap accessible.

Not sure how you are going to drive from Arcata to Redding. I guess you will use 299. Lots of people do, I haven't.

Highway 42 from Winston to Coos Bay is doable. There are far more passing areas than there used to be. Do not, I repeat, do not take 42S to Bandon. I have done it in a Class B and found the drive unsettling.

All these routes feature step and curvy roads so be sure and keep your rig under control.

avid
Old 10-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We drove from Reedsport down 101 all the way to its junction with 20. We took 20 over to I-5 at Williams. We drove down I-5 from Eugene to rt. 38 and took it over to Reedsport. Locals advised it was good road and more scenic since it followed the Umpqua River for some distance. 38 was pretty good road.

101 was fine in most places in Oregon. There were a few spots where they were working on the road or bridges and there were some delays. We stayed over in Bandon, Crescent City and Redcrest. We spent 3 days in the redwoods and it was great. 101 got a lot worse, IMO, right after Brookings. The surface was much more rough, there were several construction delay points, and the road was just really curvy and uneven. We enjoyed the scenery but I did not enjoy the drive in the coach.

20 over to I-5 at Williams was much better especially after getting past Clear Lake. The road followed the lakeshore for miles and it was really twisty.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote