Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Oregon Coast

We are currently camping in southern California and are planning to head north through California and then along the Oregon coast during March weeks. Are we crazy? We see some gorgeous pictures of the coast but also see lots of rain predicted along with high winds. Anyone done this trip at this time of year? Is Rte 101 okay to drive with a 28' class A vehicle and a tow car? Thanks for the advice.

annlaurie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So it's raining, so what? It doesn't bother us up here!

Some of the best times at the beach are in the driving rain and wind, used to go all the time with my parents, no biggie.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if you are crazy but going up there any time is really nice along the coast.

Last time I was up there they said they were in a drought. You coulda fooled me.

101 is fine all the way.

By the way the people who live there look like they have a tan. It's not a tan, it's rust.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Rain fall this year far below average in SW Oregon so it might be a real good time to give it a shot.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

I will be traveling down 101 in June. I have never been down that road. (well i haven't been much anywhere). But I hope to see alot of cool places I am really looking forward to going down 101. Have a great time and safe travels
Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #6

you should have no problem finding place to stay with out reservations. as long as you won't rust you will be fine. we usually go to the coast a couple of times each winter and have had a lot of beautiful days. enjoy
Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #7

Storms on the coast are usually short lived and blow through pretty quickly.
After a storm you will be able to see some truly ferocious surf on the rocky headlands. It is stunning! You can feel the pressure waves in the air.
Try to stop at the Devils Punchbowl;
Devil's Punchbowl near Otter Crest on Oregon.com

Cape Kiwanda is a must see this time of year. It and the surf are the subject of some of the most beautiful calendar photos ever published.
Cape_Kiwanda photos - Google Search

There is an RV park nearby and the town is really cool too.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Oregon's my home turf. 101 is a great trip, but give yourself LOTS of driving time, as it winds up and down all the headlands. Magnificent views, lots of RV parks, lots of public beach access. Yeah, you'll get some rain, but we also have sunsets, ocean waves, razor clams, Dungeness crab, oysters and salmon. C'mon up!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #9

Don't tell anyone, but it dosn't always rain on the Oregon coast
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I don't know if you are crazy but going up there any time is really nice along the coast.

Last time I was up there they said they were in a drought. You coulda fooled me.

101 is fine all the way.

By the way the people who live there look like they have a tan. It's not a tan, it's rust.
A resident where I work just got back from Florida tonight, she said it rained and go down to 30. She didn't get a tan either so don't blame it on the weather here!!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
Oregon's my home turf. 101 is a great trip, but give yourself LOTS of driving time, as it winds up and down all the headlands. Magnificent views, lots of RV parks, lots of public beach access. Yeah, you'll get some rain, but we also have sunsets, ocean waves, razor clams, Dungeness crab, oysters and salmon. C'mon up!
NO NO NO!! Don't come here, it's already too crowded and we can't enjoy the rain and wind as well!!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anytime is good on the coast , I love Feb & March the most. Not to crowded,
I love the the ocean in the winter . I have seen it this time of year from at sea on different boats ,better from the shore side.
Bob
Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by annlaurie51 View Post
We are currently camping in southern California and are planning to head north through California and then along the Oregon coast during March weeks. Are we crazy? We see some gorgeous pictures of the coast but also see lots of rain predicted along with high winds. Anyone done this trip at this time of year? Is Rte 101 okay to drive with a 28' class A vehicle and a tow car? Thanks for the advice.
Best advice is to not be in a hurry. Miles may seem short but actual drive time is not. Plan on lots of stops for the sights & exploring. Oregon has wonderful state parks and there are bunches of private RV parks along the whole coast.

We spent this winter on the coast from Newport, OR to Long Beach, WA (we are in Seaside now) and have had wonderful blue sky days, warm, cold, rain, BIG wind, some snow and anything else you can think of, BUT it is ALL good! A bit of wet should never keep you from experiencing the Oregon coast. You'll really enjoy the trip.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[QUOTE=Frantz;1086252]Best advice is to not be in a hurry. Miles may seem short but actual drive time is not. Plan on lots of stops for the sights & exploring. Oregon has wonderful state parks and there are bunches of private RV parks along the whole coast.

We spent this winter on the coast from Newport, OR to Long Beach, WA (we are in Seaside now) and have had wonderful blue sky days, warm, cold, rain, BIG wind, some snow and anything else you can think of, BUT it is ALL good! A bit of wet should never keep you from experiencing the Oregon coast. You'll really enjoy the trip. [/QUO

Wish I had known you were in Seaside, I have been here since Monday wishing I had something to do, we could have had lunch amd gotten to know each other.
Gotta go home today (Friday)
Larry (Wagon Master for Meet & Greet)

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote