Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Oregon Coast

Hi travelers, we are heading for Az. From B.C. in The first week of Jan. and rather than going I 5 like we always do we are thinking of going south on 101. Is this a worthwhile trip in Jan. or is everything closed like rv parks etc. Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's a great trip anytime but be prepared for lots of rain and wind. Some of the State Parks will be closed, but the RV parks should all be open. Have fun.

lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely worth the ride. The Oregon coast is beautiful and the roads are larger then on the CA coast. You may have rain in Oregon, but the extra time will definitely be worth it. Once you hit CA, you have the large red woods, wine country, more beautiful coastline, etc. not sure of your coach size, but if you are longer than 30', I would stay on 101 and only go on route 1 below the Santa Rosa/Petaluma area. You are also good on route 1 from south of San Francisco to the Monterey/Carmel area, after that the road has some tight sections in some places down to LA. 101 is a nice drive all the way down to the LA area.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #4

enjoy a road less traveled in winter. take your time and use the many turn outs with stunning views.
i have never had a problem finding rv parks open on the coast.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In CA, Hwy 99 is also nice. It parallels I-5.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info Guys! Our rig is a 38 foot, and we plan on sticking to 101 all the way.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #7

We live in WA and have never done the 101 from WA down to CA. I'm curious, how was the trip for you? I realize this is an old thread - just saw it and was curious.

Thanks and hope you had a great trip.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We haven't done that portion of the coast in a couple of years, but it is beautiful. In Oregon, you will be on 101 with great views of the beaches and ocean. Once you get to CA, after Eureka 101 goes inland and route 1 goes along the coast. The views on 1 are incredible with cliffs, tight turns and incredible views. With that being said, large rigs aren't recommended for most of route 1, due to tight turns, etc. The good news is that you can go back and forth between the two roads in some areas. If you are booking a RV spot on the coast, check with them on size...really important. Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #9

The very northernmost section of US1 is definitely not a place for larger rigs. We took it a few years ago in a 32' MH w/10' enclosed Trailer and WoW what an experience! From 101 it goes up and over to the coast, the switch back were so tight, that at times I could see almost all of the trailer in the rear view mirrors. I had to use most of all the road a fair amount of the time, scared oncoming traffic, not to mention what it was doing to our sanity. When we got to the coast, the first part of the road so skinny, that the DW was looking straight down at the ocean, while I was almost rubbing the cliffs. The very southernmost section is more of the same. We did have a wonderful time on the midsection. It can be accessed from both ends by Much Better roads. As for 101, we always take it vs I5 just for the beautiful scenery but don't expect to get anywhere in a hurry. It can be Very Windy an rainy all the way thru springtime but we still love it.