RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Taking 101 south puts you across the Golden Gate Bridge in the toll direction - you'll pay $5 per axle for the toll - and through downtown San Francisco. If you want to avoid that, take I580 across the San Rafael/Richmond bridge for free and go down the east bay on I880, which meets back up with 101 in San Jose. South of San Jose you can stay in Morgan Hill, Gilroy, or San Juan Bautista - there's several RV parks withing spitting distance of 101.
How difficult is it to stay on the 101 through SF on a Sunday morning?
I never have been on the Golden Gate.
Thanks
Dan

doak125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #16

The Golden Gate isnít the problem, although itís important to be in the correct lane going through the toll booths as they are very narrow and RVís have been known to hit them going through the ones meant for cars. As for the city, we did it once and will never do it again, although we drove south through the presidio to get to HWY 1 and head to Monterey Bay. I used to work in the city and still wonít drive a car there if I donít have to, this year we drove around to the east side of the bay and took 580 to the 880 to reconnect to the 101.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	224091

MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbiebecker View Post
I'm interested in this topic because we're planning to head south in a few weeks from western WA and are thinking of taking the 101 all the way. We did the bay area to San Diego in a car many years ago but we've never done that drive with our new rig and wonder how difficult a drive it will be. Also wondering about availability of diesel along the way.

The only difficult part of that drive is getting around San Francisco. We opt to go around the east side as others has said and hook back up with the 101 south of the bay. Diesel is definitely available along the route, we traveled with friends this year that use diesel and they had no problem, but itís wise to plan your fuel stops in advance. We use Allstays, they used Gas Buddy and we check out the accessibility using google earth before heading out.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #18

FYI: On 101 just South of Gilroy there is a truck stop that has some of the cheapest diesel that I have found in CA. Also, the fastest pumps. It is the first exit South of the 152.
Jake21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
101 South of Monterey and North of Morro Bay is generally not recommended in a large MH. Diesel is all over the place.

Iíve done it. Itís a beautiful drive. My wife gripped the arm rests a little tighter since she was a bit on the edge all the way down so to speak.
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doak125 View Post
Thanks everyone. To clarify. I am looking for stops between the Oregon Coast and the Bay Area.

We are familiar with the area south of the Bay Area.

Dan

I know you want info south but have you ever stayed at Sunset Beach Stat Park?
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, 101 is good all the way, except for a few stretches with sharp curves, 15mph, some steep climbs, but generally driveable in any RV. We drive it from LA to Washington almost every year, both directions, still find it interesting!
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #22

We used Winchester Bay Marina RV Resort near Reedsport OR (excellent), Village Camper Inn Campground in Crescent City CA (good), and Ancient Redwoods RV Park at the north end of Avenue of the Giants in Redcrest CA (excellent) on the way south from Oregon Coast on 101. We are in a 45í MH and we thought all of those places accommodated our MH comfortably. Note that all the campgrounds we stopped at in CA are experiencing bad problems with bicycle theft. We stopped into a bike shop in Crescent City and the owner told us that 35 bikes were stolen from campground in Eureka over a weekend. Most locks are useless there. Moral of the story is to secure your bikes inside if you have them.
Jsvelez1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #23
PKI

At Rivers Edge RV Resort in Brookings - short drive up river - steep entry drive
Ancient Redwoods - always wanted to try it, but have not - see prior suggestion
Benbow KOA - see the Avenue of the Giants just to the North
Willits KOA - seems to be busy so get a reservation
Laguna Seca Recreation Area - lower cost park for area, but not on a race day
Gilroy RV park is behind a shopping center so a bit quieter
Betabell RV Park - works for an overnight
Old 11-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Laguna Seca Recreation Area - lower cost park for area, but not on a race day
Gilroy RV park is behind a shopping center so a bit quieter
Betabell RV Park - works for an overnight

In the Gilroy area you have a few choices:

* Maple Leaf RV Park in Morgan Hill (Tennant Rd exit off 101)

* Gilroy Garlic USA RV Park behind the shopping center in Gilroy (Hwy 152E exit off 101)

* Garlic Farm RV Park at the next exit south from the above park
* Betabel, as already mentioned.

Farther south on 101 there is Yanks RV Resort in Greenfield - between Salinas and King City

There are a few others, but we haven't stayed at them.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
In the Gilroy area you have a few choices:

* Maple Leaf RV Park in Morgan Hill (Tennant Rd exit off 101)

* Gilroy Garlic USA RV Park behind the shopping center in Gilroy (Hwy 152E exit off 101)

* Garlic Farm RV Park at the next exit south from the above park
* Betabel, as already mentioned.

Farther south on 101 there is Yanks RV Resort in Greenfield - between Salinas and King City

There are a few others, but we haven't stayed at them.

A little further south is San Lorenzo County Park in King City. Nice RV spots and where else could you go to the "History of Irrigation Museum"?

A comment on Golden Gate South. I would not be very happy driving my RV through San Francisco. The suggestion to use I-880 is a good one but you have to run the 80 gauntlet outside Berkeley which snots up all the time (even at 2AM) and then I880 itself which I would avoid like the Plague during commute (5:30AM-9AM, 2:30PM-7PM) hours. They don't call it the "Nasty Nimitz" for nothing.

As a matter of fact, I would avoid all Bay Area highways during commute times - unless, of course, you like 5mph stop and go.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #26
PKI

freeways in Bay area

Recommend 680 in place of 101 or 880 to transit the Bay area. Note HW 37 across the top of the Bay can become quite congested on race weekends, but 37 is a good route East to Vallejo to 780, and then across the Benicia bridge on 680 and all the way South to 101 in San Jose.