Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #1

Oregon overnight parking

My family just relocated back to Portland Oregon after 6 years. In that time several things have changed. Rvs are not welcome. Oregon ordinance 787 has made sure of that.
No parking overnight at Walmart with one exception, Woodburn between Salem and Wilsonville. No overnight parking at T/A's or other trucks tops with again one exception the TA near Woodburn. Rest areas 10 hours.
If you're going to stay at a park better be prepared for sticker shock. You see 90% of the parks are owned by the city and the one's that aren't are crap holes rundown mobile home parks.
For a state that has so much to offer for travelers it sure hates tourist.
From a Oregonian of 40 years
diesel1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1204 View Post
My family just relocated back to Portland Oregon after 6 years. In that time several things have changed. Rvs are not welcome. Oregon ordinance 787 has made sure of that.
No parking overnight at Walmart with one exception, Woodburn between Salem and Wilsonville. No overnight parking at T/A's or other trucks tops with again one exception the TA near Woodburn. Rest areas 10 hours.
If you're going to stay at a park better be prepared for sticker shock. You see 90% of the parks are owned by the city and the one's that aren't are crap holes rundown mobile home parks.

Certainly can't dispute you. I stay frequently at Pilot/Flying J locations and have never been turned away from one or any other truck stop regardless of state. What's the source of your info concerning truck stops.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

What is ordinance 787 and when did it take effect? July 1st?

If so we were fortunate that we just missed it on our last trip...literally by days.

Steve
Old 09-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #4

http://www.co.washington.or.us/Sheri.../ord_737_2.pdf

http://www.co.washington.or.us/Sheri...king/index.cfm
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the links; the OP made it sound like something had changed for the entire state; this appears to have gone into effect 5 years ago for just Washington County.

Steve
Old 09-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I just looked up Oregon ordinance 787 and it appears to relate to street parking of vehicles - it is not specifically RV related but appears to be to control abandoned and junk vehicles on public streets.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #7

Jackson County in SW Oregon (I-5) no longer allows overnight parking either. The local Walmart scene turned into a big problem. Just happened this past spring.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel1204 View Post
We "overnighted" at the TA at the Canby/Aurora exit, not by choice though. The engine blew up and CoachNet said they couldn't find anyone that would answer their phone. The tow truck driver said BS, there's was always on but the weekend callout was higher so we're guessing CN wouldn't pay the add'l amount.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Avid,
Which Walmart or is it both Walmarts? This Walmart 5839 in Medford Oregon says parking at the one near Costco is or was OK in July. A couple of months ago I overnighted at the newer one in south Medford. I asked at the desk and they said they could not tell me it is OK to overnight - that it is city property and if I parked the police may ask me to move on. We stayed overnight there without being bothered.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Avid,
Which Walmart or is it both Walmarts? This Walmart 5839 in Medford Oregon says parking at the one near Costco is or was OK in July. A couple of months ago I overnighted at the newer one in south Medford. I asked at the desk and they said they could not tell me it is OK to overnight - that it is city property and if I parked the police may ask me to move on. We stayed overnight there without being bothered.
It is all of Jackson County. This is straight from a Jackson County Sheriff's deputy. We were stuck without a place to store our new motorhome and it was coming up on July 4th when there wasn't even any available campsites in the Rogue Valley.

I found this page with the City of Medford Municipal code. Both Medford Walmarts are in the City of Medford. Can't readily find the same info for the County.

Quote:
Q: Can my out-of-town relatives stay in my travel trailer while they are visiting?
A:

No. Trailers can only be occupied if parked in an RV park. Medford Municipal Code 10.859
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I guess we were very lucky.
We traveled all through Oregon this summer and stayed at a bunch of great rv parks.
Maybe after we left the cities bought them and changed everything.
Glad we got there when we did.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:09 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
We're planning a trip for next spring that will take us north from Califonia to Seattle. We had planned on taking a short break in the Portland area and (at least) enjoy some time along the Columbia River. Maybe we should spend a little relaxing time in northern California and then just blow through Oregon. I'm sure the folks in California and Washington would like to have the money I would have left in Oregon. hmmmm something to think about.
CaptainGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:37 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a lot of options while visiting Oregon. Private RV parks, wonderful state parks, county parks, forest service parks, fairgrounds, etc, etc, etc. do your research and don't miss out on a beautiful place to visit. The laws/ordinances are no more restrictive than other areas/states.
We're currently visiting Portland for 2 weeks after traveling/staying along I-84 for a few days getting here and will spend at least another 2 weeks in Oregon as we head South for the winter.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
There are a lot of options while visiting Oregon. Private RV parks, wonderful state parks, county parks, forest service parks, fairgrounds, etc, etc, etc. do your research and don't miss out on a beautiful place to visit. The laws/ordinances are no more restrictive than other areas/states.
We're currently visiting Portland for 2 weeks after traveling/staying along I-84 for a few days getting here and will spend at least another 2 weeks in Oregon as we head South for the winter.
See you two Friday for lunch!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote