Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oregon road information needed

We are currently in Waldport Oregon. Our next campground is in Portland. We had been advised that the best route for a 30 foot MH with toad would be 101 to 22 to I5. However we would now like to make a stop (not overnight) in Cannon Beach. Can anyone advise on the suitability of 101 to Cannon Beach and then 47 across to Portland? Also, is there any RV parking in Cannon Beach?
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

I was just in Newport Ore and came home to Washington on the route you mentioned, it was far better then the road I chose to get to Newport. I drove thru the Beverly Beach park in the toad and the ranger gave me a book with ALL the oregon state parks in it, with the amenities available in each. it now sits in the map pocket with the goodalls atlas. 101 is a fair road. 2 lane and low on turnouts, but it can be done. if there is a Ore state park nearby maybe you can get the booklet.
ruffneckfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have no problems on 101 with our 41' MH and our toad.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
I strongly advise against taking your mh through downtown Cannon Beach. Find your CG, then toad it into town.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
101 is fine. In case you have not seen it here is a map for parking http://ci.cannon-beach.or.us/docs/News/Parking.pdf It shows Midtown has parking for RV's. I have not used it so cannot say how big the parking is. You might want to call the information center number shown on the map. To get to Portland go North from Cannon Beach on 101 and take 26 into Portland.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

101 to 26. That will take you straight into Portland area. Where from down town PDX do you intend going? There is several options instead of down town Portland that could work for you.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
We are currently in Waldport Oregon. Our next campground is in Portland. We had been advised that the best route for a 30 foot MH with toad would be 101 to 22 to I5. However we would now like to make a stop (not overnight) in Cannon Beach. Can anyone advise on the suitability of 101 to Cannon Beach and then 47 across to Portland? Also, is there any RV parking in Cannon Beach?
It sounds like many people are afraid of 2 lane roads..US 101 is a main road all along the coast area from where you are to down down LA.. Think about this,,,, people live in every town on the map. They get their supplies delivered by an 18 wheeler. most 18 wheelers are 8 1/2 ft wide and 75 or more feet long.they travel these routes every day in the course of their business. I drove the SAME TRUCK 3,145,000 miles, yes that is 3.1 million miles. A 30 ft Motorhome is a Tonka toy, don't befraid of the roads, take some back roads, ease back in the saddle and enjoy this beautiful country. There are many pull offs on 101 north of Lincoln City its a great ride up to hiway 26, or 30 a beautiful ride from there back towards Portland. Tillomock is real pretty. Do not let the fear of a new road ruin your adventure, its a beautiful country with much to enjoy. Good travels,,,, the old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trucker View Post
It sounds like many people are afraid of 2 lane roads..US 101 is a main road all along the coast area from where you are to down down LA.. Think about this,,,, people live in every town on the map. They get their supplies delivered by an 18 wheeler. most 18 wheelers are 8 1/2 ft wide and 75 or more feet long.they travel these routes every day in the course of their business. I drove the SAME TRUCK 3,145,000 miles, yes that is 3.1 million miles. A 30 ft Motorhome is a Tonka toy, don't befraid of the roads, take some back roads, ease back in the saddle and enjoy this beautiful country. There are many pull offs on 101 north of Lincoln City its a great ride up to hiway 26, or 30 a beautiful ride from there back towards Portland. Tillomock is real pretty. Do not let the fear of a new road ruin your adventure, its a beautiful country with much to enjoy. Good travels,,,, the old trucker
Thanks for the info, Just for the record, I have no fear whatsoever of 2 lane roads, in fact I prefer them to the freeways. And I know that any road that will take an 18 wheeler will take my rig with no problems.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote