Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ortega Oaks RV Park , Lake Elsenore CA

Not sure about the Ortega Hwy ( CA Hwy 74). Would be coming in from I-15 and taking Hwy 74 twelve miles to campground.
Traveling in a 36 ft gas MH with toad.
Anybody have any experience with this route?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Twisty and steep, but you'll be fine. Just take your time and enjoy the scenery.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Uggh.. Don't like twisty and steep.. But thanks!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's called Ortega Hiway and a leading cause of motorcycle deaths in southern California. We love it, it twists and winds like a race track.

But you are going less than half way - 12 miles, and it's do-able, that's why I just said take your time and enjoy the scenery and you'll get there no problem. You'll get some elevation and cooler temps, plan to run the genny anyway for some daytime AC. Cools off nice at night.

I'm assuming you have a reservation - pretty much everything fill up on weekends in so-Cal.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
The road is famous for motorcycle deaths. Now I'm really excited. Geeesh, you really know how to get a guy pumped up for a steep, twisty road with suicidal motorcyclists! How bout frequent falling rocks? Tree limbs breaking all the time maybe?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
LOL. Unlikely you'll see falling rocks or tree limbs...maybe a motorbike or two.

The road is in good shape and it's plenty wide. You'll be there before you know it.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks CJ.. Thanks for seeing my comments in humor as intended. We will make that drive some time this fall. We have a son in Ladera Ranch and this place seems perfect. We've been to ONeil, Caspers, that place on 241 and 99, Orangeland, etc..
Old 08-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #8

The Ortega Highway is known locally for it's heavy weekday use by commuters. It is notorious for fatal traffic accidents. Very often these are the result of one vehicle trying to pass a slower. Weekend traffic often includes the sports car enthusiast, all manner of motorcyclist, and bicyclists. All this on a twisty, often steep, two lane road. I've suggested RV'ers considering the route, drive it in their toad/tow vehicle first, at the time of day they might take their RV. Which is what I just did. Like many routes in California, it is not that it can't be done. It is that the prudent wouldn't. If what awaited was a 10/10/10 RV Resort, an argument might be made. This isn't the case. Looking at what your rig is, I think you will be disappointed in this park. Trying to find a decent park close to where your son is will be tricky. Were it me, I'd be checking out one of the private parks in Oceanside.
If you decide to use the Ortega Highway, please consider the following: Best to exit the freeway at Nichols Rd., as if going to the outlet mall, and then take Collier Rd. to Riverside Ave., which is Highway 74. Turning into the RV park will necessitate a left hand turn across opposing traffic, without the benefit of a turn lane. It is a very sharp turn into the park itself, almost 270 degrees. I'd suggest you disconnect the dinghy in the outlet mall parking lot, and caravan from that point on. And please use the turnouts. You will be holding up traffic.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for this write up bio. I wish I had visited this park during my last stay in the area. We visit for a month at a time and normally have to lock something in ahead of time. So, an exploratory trip after we arrive may not work if they are booked.
Have you been to the park? I cannot find any reviews on line. Strange. I take it you have not taken your MH down this stretch from I-15?
There are only two parks in Oceanside that I'm aware of. One is a dump and the other, Paradise by the Sea doesn't bother putting rate info on their website. They appear to be way too high for me. If not Ortega Oaks, I would stay at Orangeland RV Park in Orange. Nice place, closer than Oceanside..
Old 08-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't argue with Bio's description...it is a busy hiway at times.

Getting a space in so-Cal can definitely be a challenge. Everything is completely booked out all summer. The locals decend on the parks every weekend and any place that take reservations is booked six months in advance.

I have no suggestions on where you might get in. Sometimes the park near Disneyland on Ball road has space and it's a nice park. You might also try Featherly, new name now, out the 91 on the way to Corona.

Otherwise things are pretty full up.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #11

There is also a nice San Bernardino County Park north of Prado Dam. From the 91 freeway go north on State Route 71, then north again on Euclid Avenue. The park will be on your right. You will have easy access to Ladera Ranch via the 243 toll road.

About five years ago we drove through Ortega Oaks. It was mainly occupied by permanent residents. There did not appear to be many open rv sites.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #12

We drove our CR-V up to check out the campground yesterday because I couldn't find it reviewed at rvparkreviews. It appears to be moving towards more of a mobile home park. It had a sign up advertising lots for sale. Had a lot of newer single wide smaller mobile homes. Lots of RV's, but most appeared to be long term. It would be ok if it were easy to get to and it was only for a day or two. My wife called it rustic. And, no, I haven't taken our 37'er on the Ortega Highway. As with most heavily used mountain roads, the issue for me is not wanting to be "... That **** guy in the RV!" That results in an impatient driver endangering me and others when he can't wait for me to pull over at the next turnout.
In So Cal, I measure my drives not by miles, but by minutes and congestion. My granddaughter played in a softball tournament very near where your son lives. We were staying at a great RV park (Bernardo Shores) in Imperial Beach. Easy freeway drive to her games, when timed to miss the commuters. That's way I suggested the Oceanside park. I was thinking of the one you mentioned. Stayed there about a decade ago with a 32' double slide. It was tight! Freeway access into Orange County is much easier from the South than from Riverside County.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bio, the more I consider Ortega Oaks, the drive alone excludes it and even the park itself appears to be not for us. Thanks for your input. You know, we've been visiting our son in that area for 10 years now, only the last 3 with a motorhome. When you mentioned the commute being easier coming from the south, it was a big DUH! moment for me. Of course it is and why didn't I think,of that.. Still slim pickings but I'm now considering Olive ave RV resort in Vista.. Looks like its new. Straight shot up the 5 with no toll roads.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #14

Just checked out Olive Ave RV. Reminds me of another great park we use in N Cal, Flag City RV. Both made the mistake of putting in African Daisy ground-cover for landscaping between sites. It does not withstand foot traffic. Makes a potentially great park look lousy. The pads are nowhere near level, but leveling blocks are provided at the sites. Had these two issues been addressed at construction, this park would be excellent. Be sure you access it from 78. I've tried to attach a picture of the provided leveling blocks. They are 5 high. Some people are driving up on them. Some are putting them under their front jacks and raising the wheels a couple of inches off the ground. Some have a combinations of both. Good park that could have been great!