Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Other roads in W. TX besides I-10?

We are traveling from Corpus Christi into New Mexico and have been on I-10 before (boring). Any suggestions for some other routes that are good roads through western Texas? Thanks!

Nancy & Bill
05 Seabreeze LX 8321
Nancy & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Originally Posted by Nancy & Bill View Post
We are traveling from Corpus Christi into New Mexico and have been on I-10 before (boring). Any suggestions for some other routes that are good roads through western Texas? Thanks!
The beauty of West Texas is in the eye of the beholder. You either like it or hate it but the spans of this country is so immense that it can become tiresome.

2011 Itasca Suncruiser, Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
MSgt retired USAF 1988, AA retired 2005
toneumanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Where are you headed in New Mexico?
Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Las Cruces and White Sands...on our way home to Washington after six months on the road. What a beautiful country we have!
Nancy & Bill
05 Seabreeze LX 8321
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Freightliner Owners Club
Go up I-37 to the Jourdantown area, take 173 to Hondo and US 90 until it intersects with I-10 in the Sierra Blanco area. Then I-10 to NM. Good road, nice scenery, fuel is available although you may need to do a little preplanning after leaving Del Rio. Wal*Mart on the north side of Del Rio has fuel.
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H, ISB-02, MH2500
Toad - '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue Ox, Aventa
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Thank you...that's just the kind of suggestions I was looking for! I so appreciate you taking the time to reply. We're looking forward to some new scenery!
Nancy & Bill
05 Seabreeze LX 8321
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Just after Del Rio is the Amistad NRA which has a no hookup CG for $2 a night with the Golden Age pass. As mentioned, stock up in Del Rio as its a long way to any store of a decent size west of there.

RV Park Reviews :: Del Rio, Texas ( TX ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

There is also a very good steak house that you will pass on the right between Wal-mart and the NRA. Can't remember the name, just remember seeing lots of cars and so went back in the toad.

You are also passing the turnoff for Big Bend NP, lots of scenery there. Well worth a detour if time permits. But you need at least a few days to give it any justice. It is on our top 5 NP's that we have visited so far (only counting lower 48 NP's).

2006 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Bob and Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #8

Once or twice a year I go from Oregon to Kerrville, TX and back. One of the routes I've taken from Kerrville back is I-10 to Junction, TX and north on US83 then 277, west on I-20 a few miles then 84/180 through Lubbock and on up to I-40 then west. Views are somewhat different from I-10 but it is Texas!
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Unless you want to go thru San Antonio, you can stay south and take 44 west thru Alice and past I35, then north on 83 to Uvalde. West on 90 thru Del Rio. Seminole Canyon State Park has great views and a hiking trail down to the Pecos River to see the Indian petroglyphs. Next on 90 is Judge Roy Bean Saloon and Museum at Langtry. You can stay on 90 all the way to Van Horn at I10. Or drop down to visit Big Bend National Park. If you go to Big Bend, the road west out of there (river road 170) from Study Butte thru Lajitas, Terlingua, to Presidio following the Rio Grande is pretty. Then 87 up to Marfa to catch 90 again. If you can manage, spending the night in Marfa lets to try and get a glimpse of the Marfa lights. From Van Horn at I10, you can go north on 54 up to El Capitan and Guadalupe Mtns National Park and the road into New Mexico towards Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands. Always like traveling in West Texas. Enjoy.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Damon Owners Club
173 to 90 is a good route. If you decide to take 90, take a short detour at Langtry to visit "Judge Roy Bean's" museum. It's worth the time. Interesting and they have a short walkway through a garden area full of local plants. There are a lot of photo ops along 90 and interesting places to visit.

howdja is offline   Reply With Quote