Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Not saying the gospel...just saying that there are several other threads...same subject...with additional info. Pays to be fully informed on what to expect...and as usual, there are a myriad of experiences out there. Read about different perspectives and you won't be surprised

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
And by the way...hope I find you right as we head out on our adventure, because generally, in our car, I've found Pilots an FJs pretty nice, long term.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Good sam has a flying j card available but every time i try to apply it puts you to a reward program,when i went cross country i got one at the station but you don't get anything ntil you use 500 gals. What am i doing wrong ??
Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
When we applied through GS don't remember any problems and still none. What I do remember is it took quite a while for the cards to arrive because they were so backlogged at the onset of the program. We had to leave to FL without them. The first P/FJ stop I asked thd girl behind the counter about this. 30 sec later she handed me a discount card. We got a discount and paid at the pump the rest of the trip south.

Before we headed back to MI, the cards had arrived. These are different. They are credit cards, with a built-in discount. We recieved a bill 6 weeks after we got home.

You have my curiosity going on this rewards program. I'm going to check any differences in the program now. I'll report back here if I see anything you have missed.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I usually look for truck stops using different phone / google apps....

If a semi can get in and out of there, my little 60 foot long setup can

I too joined the GS FJ program and two things that bother me -
NO receipt at the truck lanes (where u have to go to get discount)
so do we really know if we are getting a discount ?
and usually 5 to 10 cents more per gallon for the diesel "convenience"

some things I really like about P-FJ truck lanes though is the $2.79 per gallon bulk def pumps -
no $12+ 2.5 gallon bottles to haul around and dump in !

and having convenient air and water right at the pump....
Old 10-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #20

We have a GS FlyingJ card with no hassels. We made a 6,900 mile trip this past summer and used FJ exclusively. We're 42ft with toad and most all FJ's are the same layout which helps. The card says you must be a Lifetime member to join if I remember correctly, am I right? We have been Lifetime members at least 12 years or more. 8cent off fuel is nice along with the gas and propane discounts. In Rapid City we bought all three with no hiccups and even bought fuel conditioner on the card.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
My concern with FJ is a post in another part of this site that reported FJ charging RVer $4.20/gal diesel; truk driver at the next register inquires, provides "truck number" whatever that is and gets $3.89. I read another thread that talks to FJ rewards card through VISA being a real problem as you have to provide your banking info. Just IMHO, need to read at least two other threads on FJ and the other service stations on the interstate.
DSL. I don't know about the truck vs. rv discount? We use the truck lanes at FJ due to size. Truckers next to use pay the same price, however that does not mean that business accounts with large trucking companies may get a better price than we do but you would have to be a large entity! Our FJ credit card provides 6 cents a gallon discount and the gas is 8 cents per gallon lower. Bank information such as routing number was not required just basic credit information along with SS number. The credit limit is 1000.00 and must be paid monthly, no percentage on the one month charge! Very nice when filling up a big rig, no stopping and starting over with the 100.00 limit.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lathe11 View Post
Good sam has a flying j card available but every time i try to apply it puts you to a reward program,when i went cross country i got one at the station but you don't get anything ntil you use 500 gals. What am i doing wrong ??
Go here Pilot RV Plus and apply for the card. If you are not a Good Sam member, you will need to join.

Here are the FAQs for the program Pilot RV Plus - FAQ
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for all the good info and informative replies. I guess I'll have to do some more research on my OP. I'm still trying to find out if there are stops you can trust to be RV friendly for gas. If I had a diesel coach I don't think I would be concerned But most of the GAS travel plazas have the gas pumps that are very difficult to access with RV & Toad.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #24

I usually look for truck stops on the outskirts of town. Many Flying J's are ok but some were not really planned around MHs, even the RV lanes may require tight turns through the store parking area to exit.
From years of experience and mistakes I now start looking for my gas stop at about half-a-tank. This really is not a problem for me, as we try to travel no more than 250-300 miles a day and I like to stop and walk every 2 hours or so.
If I don't like the layout of a fuel stop I just don't enter. I often travel up I-5 to Sacramento. There is a FlyingJ on the way up, but I have found that the 76 truck stop across the street, though not as pretty, has a far easier entrance and exit for my rig.
Happy Trails.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I now start looking for my gas stop at about half-a-tank.
Thats a good point. Starting to look early doesn't put you in the position of having to do a u-turn back to the town you just passed for fear of running too low.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #26

Before the summer trip we contacted FJ to try and upgrade our limit over $1,000. What we did was get two cards, one in my name and another in DW name but all on the same account. This bumped our limit to $2,000 and makes sense just in case I misplace mine.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
I use Flying J mostly, and usually have no problem getting to one on a tank.

Last year when Murphy's had a 10 discount with a Walmart gift Card.
I had no problem filling up at them. With my MH and toad.

I use Diesel and those pumps were always on the outside island.
I fueled up in 5 different ones in FL, GA, IN, and IL. 6 times.

The Murphys has their 10 cent discount again so i use them..
Old 10-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin
What we did was get two cards, one in my name and another in DW name but all on the same account. This bumped our limit to $2,000 and makes sense just in case I misplace mine.
We did the same thing, works great.