RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

Ottawa, Ontario to Michigan Speedway via Petoskey

We are planning a trip to the NASCAR race in Michigan with a side stop on way to Petoskey.

We are planning on going through Ontario North and cross at Sault St.Marie.

Are there any suggestions on a nice RV park to stop at midway to break up the trip?

On our return we plan to travel via I-90 with a stop in Verona, New York at the Villages at the Turning Stone. Are there any must sees or stops in towns along I-90 heading East?

TIA for all input.

GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonetoRaces View Post
We are planning a trip to the NASCAR race in Michigan with a side stop on way to Petoskey.

We are planning on going through Ontario North and cross at Sault St.Marie.

Are there any suggestions on a nice RV park to stop at midway to break up the trip?

On our return we plan to travel via I-90 with a stop in Verona, New York at the Villages at the Turning Stone. Are there any must sees or stops in towns along I-90 heading East?

TIA for all input.

Donít know where you are travelling from, what you are driving or hours in a day you like to travel, BUT, just FYI, Ottawa to Sault Ste Marie is 10 + hours in summer traffic and another 5+ to Michigan Speedway.

mckbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbeth View Post
Don’t know where you are travelling from, what you are driving or hours in a day you like to travel, BUT, just FYI, Ottawa to Sault Ste Marie is 10 + hours in summer traffic and another 5+ to Michigan Speedway.
Yes perhaps I could have worded it better but yes we do plan to drive 5 hours or so and stop for a night then drive to Petoskey stay for a few nights then go to Michigan Sppedway from there. So what I meant for suggestions was for half way from Ottawa to Sault Ste. Marie.

You seem to know better than I where I’m going so do you think going 401 would be a better route to get to Petoskey?
Old 01-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonetoRaces View Post
Yes perhaps I could have worded it better but yes we do plan to drive 5 hours or so and stop for a night then drive to Petoskey stay for a few nights then go to Michigan Sppedway from there. So what I meant for suggestions was for half way from Ottawa to Sault Ste. Marie.

You seem to know better than I where Iím going so do you think going 401 would be a better route to get to Petoskey?

Personally I would not consider using 401 route as it is extremely busy and approx 5 hours longer to Petoskey. However it is all freeway driving.

Ottawa to Sault Ste Marie is mostly 2 lane road, but much more scenic than 401 route.

Only campground I could recommend is a KOA in Sturgeon Falls, approx 5 hours west of Ottawa.

Also, the Petoskey area is extremely busy in summer months, suggest you book ahead.
mckbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:04 AM   #5

Your Soo and Petoskey route should be a week long trip by itself if you want to see the area, locks, Mackinaw Island, Petoskey shore line drive.
For a couple day trip from Ottawa, consider Pinery Provincial Park, Frankenmuth, Greenfield Village for a lot less driving and more site seeing. (402, 69, 75)
Note - Truckers drive 401 every day and survive, BTDT. I would not detour more than 10 miles out of the way to avoid a busy road, just plan ahead for a non rush hour transit if you have that luxury.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #6

I would not recommend the 401 route. Six and eight lane highways in one direction in Toronto, and a non stop rush hour. Take hwy 17, it is more scenic, and far less hectic than driving through the GTA in a rv.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbeth View Post
Personally I would not consider using 401 route as it is extremely busy and approx 5 hours longer to Petoskey. However it is all freeway driving.

Ottawa to Sault Ste Marie is mostly 2 lane road, but much more scenic than 401 route.

Only campground I could recommend is a KOA in Sturgeon Falls, approx 5 hours west of Ottawa.

Also, the Petoskey area is extremely busy in summer months, suggest you book ahead.
Thanks for your response we have never been North west of North Bay or west of Toronto so thanks.

I think the Sault would be a better route.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Your Soo and Petoskey route should be a week long trip by itself if you want to see the area, locks, Mackinaw Island, Petoskey shore line drive.
For a couple day trip from Ottawa, consider Pinery Provincial Park, Frankenmuth, Greenfield Village for a lot less driving and more site seeing. (402, 69, 75)
Note - Truckers drive 401 every day and survive, BTDT. I would not detour more than 10 miles out of the way to avoid a busy road, just plan ahead for a non rush hour transit if you have that luxury.
Thanks for your suggestions. The trip is up to two weeks with main stop Michigan Speedway but thought we would go the long way and visit Petoskey on the way and we are thinking 5 nights in Petoskey Only one night stop over on the way to Petoskey. Then coming back we will be leaving from Michigan Speedway and more than likely heading to
Finger Lakes coming home bound.

I agree about the 401 I avoid it as much as possible but wanted to be sure going up around Sault Ste Marie made sense.

Thanks so much
Old 01-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I would not recommend the 401 route. Six and eight lane highways in one direction in Toronto, and a non stop rush hour. Take hwy 17, it is more scenic, and far less hectic than driving through the GTA in a rv.
Thanks agree 100%