Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #1

Our 10,000 mile road trip!

Bright and early tomorrow my wife and I will leave on our cross country road trip vacation.
We are going to start in Alaska an drive strailght to Texas and visit family, then make our way back to Alaska via the west coast.
We're going to try and make time while south bound, but since we have no set date to retun by (well Aug 1st) in a much more leisurely pace while north bound.

If there is some interest we'll update daily.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Carl Bice
Looking forward to the updates, I'm here in Texas, almost always sitting Here at the I-20W Travel Information Center, ( Or Welcome Center) most nights, I am One of the Security Guards here on The Night shift, at least till we Get our Camper finished, (soon , I Hope). Not sure if you'll be headed through this part of Texas, If So Stop in and say Howdy, if Not, Welcome to Texas

Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely be interested in updates.

Just head way east of CO on your way down. The front range is pretty intense from the fires.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #4

Good luck on your trip and we will be looking forward to updates too!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
10,000 miles in 30 days means over 300 miles a day average. Not going to have a lot of time to sightsee! Enjoy your trip!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #6

Well lets catch up a little bit:
Since we were 'tent' camping on the way down south we had no cell or internet signal the first 2 nights. It wasn't until half way through our 3rd day that we had some what cell signal. (we have AT&T, others may have better coverage but this area is remote!!)
Our mission is to drive long hours to get down there and pick up the 5th wheel, visit family then take it easy driving back up, with no real set plans on where to go or where to stay.
Day 1: Palmer, Ak to Teslin, Yk. Drove 792 miles, not bad for a first day. Roads were 'normal for this part of the world. Once we hit Canada the roads werea bit rough with some gravel and dust thrown in to mix it up. It was a long day and the first 'road trip with out year old Yorkie. (Hunter) Hunter hated the bumps he had to reposition himself after ever decent sized one! He wasn't enjoying this trip much.
We stayed at a cozy little camp ground called Timber Point. Located just out side of Teslin on a nice lake.(milepost 1278) Cost $10. There are no hook ups but fire wood and a fire pit and nice grassy areas to pitch a tent. Looks like it could be big rig friendly.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #7

Day 2:
Teslin, Yukon to Ft St John. Drove 761 miles today, 1553 trip miles. Today we ave 17.6 mpg. Hunter is getting a little more used to the road trip. He just repositions himself on the big bumps today.
We set up our tent in Charlie Lake campground. Nice place with much needed shower facilities! haha! $21.50 also has a few spots for big rigs but not many.
Well today we had our first misshap. About 3 miles after Sandra (DW) started driving after one of our stretch breaks we had a blow out on the right front @ about 60 mph.
Found out I didn't have the 'key' to lower our spare! (insert a series of cuss words here!) I had already removed the front tire so I had to reinstall it and remove the jack from under the front axle to use it to remove one of my rear duals. Since there was t much of a shoulder and a steep hill off the pavement we had to stop about 1 foot outside the white line. I didn't feel safe removing the left rear outside dual (keeping the tire rotating in the same direction) so we took off the right outside dual and installed it on the right front corner. This took almost 2 hours before we were back on the road. Rollin 5 down!
All and all another good day with lots of miles covered.
We know from driving that our truck gets 20+mpg @ less than 60mph, but less than 13mpg @ 70mph. Since we have a LONG trip ahead we were very disciplined at keeping our speed in check.
Truck got really dirty today because of rain and gravel patches. Had to stop and wipe off the front side windows just to see through the mirrors clearly. (poor Fred today was not friendly to him!)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #8

Day 3 Ft St John to Hinton , Ab this was our only planned easy day. 345 miles today. Fred averaged 18.9 mpg.
Roads were much better today and we actually had cell phone service for some of the day. Fred got a bath at a real nice truck wash here in Hintonaand is looking good. Hunter is officially a road tripper!
We stayed in a KOA Kabin. This KOA is a nice place! It has K9 Kamp for the puppies to play in in leashed.
Tired to find a tire but no one had Fred's size shoe! (285/70/19.5)
They couldn't help me with lowering my spare either. So we'll continue on with 5 down.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #9

Day 4 Hinton to Great Falls Mt. 722 miles! 2,623 total miles on trip. 17.9 ave mpg today.
Well we had another blow out (right front again!) F-450 rolli on 4 now! Calling around and can't find these replacement tire along route. Nice were not 1/4 of the way into our trip and we've lost 33% of our tires. Not a good feeling for sure!
Getting back into USA was almost as painless as getting into Canada 3 days before. Few simple questions show passport and in we go.
We stayed at the KOA in Great Falls and while
I'm not to big on complaining to managers but when we pay $75 for a 'deluxe' cabin one should be able to expect things to be in working order. First off the door because the hinges were broke/bent my DW could neither open nor close the door from the inside or outside! The A/C quit about 11:30 pm and would only blow warm air! Besides these issues this camp ground while could have been great it was too congested, too cramped if one had a RV. Although this was a 'full service' KOA we will not be planning our trips to stay here in the future. The staff was friendly but the manager never retired our call after asking to talk to them about cabin issues.
I know that I may have been a little stressed at having no spare and a long way to go, but this was beyond that.
More info later. Anyone reading these?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Every day!! Subscribe to it do I get emails when you update. Good luck with the tires!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
20 mpg in an F450! Whow! I had one and could only get that if I was carrying it on my back with the key in my pocket! Sounds as though you need a dealer or tire store with a wrench real bad! Continue with the good luck! You are covering a lot of ground fast. 2600 miles would be about 10 days for me!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #12

Good luck with the tire situation!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #13

Very interesting journal. Thanks for taking the time. No more blowouts!

Don
Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #14

Day 5 Great Falls to KOA Welling Co. 18.9mpg 752 miles today 3375 from home!
Well lots of stress today worrying about losing another tire! The WHOLE day was very stressful for me! But I worried for nothing, as we made it to KOA Wellington Co. Just as they were closing for the night. There was smoke haze all through Wyoming (due to Wyoming fires not Colorado fires) so scenery was limited to less than 5 miles. The KOA Kabin was nice but again no A/C (we knew this in advanced) It was too hot for us Alaskans so we got up at 3:30 local time and hit the road. We knew we needed an early start to arrive in Abilene Tx by day end tomorrow!
Loving the 100 extra gallon fuel cell we can go an easy 2200 between fuel ups! (too bad that will not be the same on the return trip. Haha)
Nothing exciting to report today (thank goodness!) other than a nasty head wind for alot of the trip, just covering miles and making tracks.
Yes the F-450 can get good mileage at 58mph but is PAINFUL! But knowing it'll cost me time instead of dollars makes it completely worth it. (good is relative here!)
The Wellington KOA is located right down wind of a large dairy farm. We sole up to the smell of smoked cow manure. (need I say more) Another reason we were happy to roll out early.