Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Over the hills and threw the woods

We are planning to travel from Vancouver, WA. To Denver, CO. in late May or early June, we have made this trip before and swore we would never do it again but here we go thinking about it.
Last year we went I84 to Utah and picked up I80 across Wyoming. Everything went well until Wyoming where we saw 5, 18 wheelers blown over, snow (white out) rain and hail.
The wind was so bad it blew our awning off.
Has anyone made this trip in May or June? Does the wind in Wyoming ever let up?
We need feed-back, I really don’t want to drive my 34 footer through the mountains.
We are allowing a week to make the 1,300 miles so no rush.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #2

I have never driven in Wyoming without wind,however there are times when it is not lowing so hard.You have to take a chance when traveling across I-80,early morning travel is best.I have never been in snow in the May/June time frame,lucky I guess.I do not drive very far if the wind is bad,park and rest.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Larry,

I don't think you can cross the Rockies without that wind risk. Our first trip west was on I-40 (NM & AZ). We had a head wind that just about stopped our Bounder in its tracks. Everyone and I mean everyone was getting off the road. So planning extra time is a great idea, as is driving early if it is not blowing.

Bob
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #4

We have driven I-80 in May and June multiple times (West to East) and have encountered snow flurries once ... and stronger wind a couple of times.

We pulled into a rest area and the snow flurries passes in a few minutes ...

We slow down when the wind picks up to moderate force ... and pull into a campground when it becomes treacherous ...

I must say that you can encounter strong winds anyplace ... they are not limited to Wyoming ... in late 2010 we encountered such strong winds in New Mexico that we did not move for two days ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #5

Some years back, we moved from the Seattle area to Tidewater Va. We made the trip the last 10 days of May. Between Cody and Laramie, it blew and snowed so hard we had to pull off early for an overnight stop (we were driving a Mercury Colony Park wagon). We waited two days for clearer weather.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

Does the wind in Wyoming ever let up?

I remember the day the wind did finally did stop blowing, most of the people in the state fell over!!
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #7

You do know about that State (Wy & Co) cutoff from Laramine to Loveland, Co???? It saves a climb/pass between laramine and Cheyenne. It is/was a 2 lane state hwy but is/was in pretty good shape and no elevation climbs/decents.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote