Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Over weight for Interstate?

In the San Jose area of California there is CA-85, (a multi-lane Hiway). This Hiway cuts off some the the San Jose traffic from to get from CA-101 to connect with I-280. We have traveled on this "freeway" many times in our auto, but today coming from the south, when we got on it, I noticed a sign that said trucks over 4-1/2 tons are forbidden. Then I noticed my RM7720 with a warning about being overweight on the road we were on. I got off at the next exit and went on an alternate route. My question is, since I am over the weight limit, (but I'm not a truck) can I still travel on it? My GCWR is 26,000lbs, (is that what I use?) and that's a heap over 4-1/2 tons.

Thanks Jack

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In California, yes. Everywhere else no. But seriously I would have exited just like you. Could be a weight limited bridge or something as such down the road. We may not be a truck in our minds but the person wearing the black robe may think otherwise so why tempt faith.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I do not know about that stretch of highway, but in many cases the weight restrictions is to prevent larger vehicles due to either low weight bridges, low obstacles that larger vehicles will not fit under, or simply to keep larger vehicles off a stretch of road to prevent traffic being impeded.

In all these cases, your MH is just as large and in many cases just as heavy as the trucks that are not allowed. It is probably not a good idea to drive your large MH on this, or any highway with lower weight restrictions.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Weight limit means just that. I would not want to try to explain to a judge that a motorhome is not a truck.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

My simple rule, no trucks, no motorhome. There is most likely a reason they are saying no trucks and don't really want to find out why. Low power lines, low bridge or what ever the reason.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

Motor homes are not Commercial vehicles. Trucks with delivery manifest that can only be accessed by those roads can travel an any and all roads, even neighborhoods.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to everyone who Weighed in, Ha Ha, on this. I was thinking the same about having to explain to a judge. This Hiway is mostly a commuter road, (that looks like an Interstate), but there are no low bridges or that type of thing. I think they don't want trucks to keep the traffic flowing. Even though, there are times when the traffic is not that heavy and it's a good way to avoid San Jose proper.

Jack
FMCA #341229
Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #8

I used to live in Campbell, a town Highway 85 runs through. I lived there when the highway was constructed. It was a really big deal. The land was set aside for the highway for about 30 years before the highway was constructed.

Even though people bought and built houses next to the vacant land planned for the highway, there was an uprising when it came time to build the Freeway. That was because it runs through some of the high rent district in Silicon Valley (really high rent, Los Gatos, Saratoga and Cupertino). There were many fights about allowing it to go through. One of the compromises made to allow the construction to start was to not allow truck traffic on that highway.

I have used it many, many times. It looks like exactly what it is: a full blown Freeway built to Interstate Highway Specifications with all the aprons, on and off ramps, set backs, protective fencing and bridges just like Highway 101 and Interstate 280.

In one of life's great ironies, the law of unintended consequences comes back with a vengeance. The town of Saratoga had the rights to limit the number of on and off ramps in their city limits. So, they chose not to have on/off ramps at Saratoga Ave--the main 4-lane road to the area and the planned route to and from Saratoga. Saratoga Avenue is oriented East-West

Now, with a new North-South Freeway through the area with no exits or on ramps in Saratoga, the residents travel on roads (that weren't planned to support commute traffic) North and South alongside 85 to get to the towns on either side that did allow on/off ramps. This traffic is now creating some fairly significant traffic jams on town streets during commute hours and on weekends.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
V8dave,

Thanks for the nice overview and description of the route. Like you said, it resembles an Interstate in most ways.
FMCA #341229
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also would not want to have to explain, but if I did, the State my vehicle is registered in does not say truck, and if a vehicle is a truck the registrations and plates say "Truck."

Of course, unless that has changed.

I am also very cautious regarding those type signs.

Happy Trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #11

I have to disagree with muffin. Though a motorhome is not a commercial vehicle, weight, height, width, length restrictions apply to ALL vehicles. THere are exceptions such as the deliveries as he mentioned, but those signs generally say o thru trucks over XXXX pounds, no 3axle trucks or something similar.

When the weight is an odd figure like 4 1/2 tons, usually a limited bridge. It doesn't know if you are commercial or an RV, only you weigh too much and collapses.

Any vehicle can be registered as a commercial vehicle, but that does NOT make it a commercial vehicle. By definition in the US Code, Title 49 and Ca Admin. Code, Title 13 a commercial vehicle has a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more.

All that being said, signage is lacking, vague, and confusing in many situations, but they can't put a novel on the signs.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
I have to disagree with muffin. Though a motorhome is not a commercial vehicle, weight, height, width, length restrictions apply to ALL vehicles. THere are exceptions such as the deliveries as he mentioned, but those signs generally say o thru trucks over XXXX pounds, no 3axle trucks or something similar.

When the weight is an odd figure like 4 1/2 tons, usually a limited bridge. It doesn't know if you are commercial or an RV, only you weigh too much and collapses.

Any vehicle can be registered as a commercial vehicle, but that does NOT make it a commercial vehicle. By definition in the US Code, Title 49 and Ca Admin. Code, Title 13 a commercial vehicle has a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more.

All that being said, signage is lacking, vague, and confusing in many situations, but they can't put a novel on the signs.
I would agree with Old Chief7155 about the weight. In my youth I worked for a construction company. There were many weight restricted roads and for a variety of reasons. Some roads were restricted during certain times of the year. During the spring thaw almost any class B highway was weight restricted to avoid damaging the pavement. It didn't matter if you were a truck, tractor, bus, or an RV. If you were over the weight limit you would be fined. In those days the fine was either a minimum of $100.00 or $1.00 per pound over weight, which ever was higher.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
My simple rule, no trucks, no motorhome.
Those no thru trucks signs doesn't always mean no RV's allowed.
Trucks are not allowed straight through Atlanta on I75. But no problem in a RV.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #14

Only trucks are restricted on a portion of that highway. Here is a link to the dmv webpage that shows that. Special Truck Restriction History - Route 85

Would be nice if it showed that on the sign on the freeway. But that would make too much sense