Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #1

Overnight RV "parking" in central Indiana off i65

does anybody have any good suggestions for overnight parking spot near i65?

-- we are heading through IN and need a spot to sleep, but don't want to pay for a full-camp site as we're going to be just there from 10 or 11pm ill say 7am-ish.

Looks like maybe Flying J in Lebanon, IN might be an option for us?

Other options that might be better?

Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just checked my RVParky app which I've also downloaded to my laptop for Lebanon, IN and it looks like Flying J is all that is around there. The local Walmart shows no over nights allowed. The Flying J on 465 south of Indy offers over night as does the local LOVES.

You may want to download the RVParky app which is a great asset to all RVers as we travel and/or plan our trips.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 07-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Looks like Flying J in Lebanon, IN has about four RV spots, plus special RV fuel lanes. Plus there is plenty of double car spot on the side also. Good luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #4

I thought I'd post an update as we made it to Fall Creek Falls in TN, and had an awesome trip..

BTW, if you haven't been to this gem of a state park yet, you really should check it out -- I will warn you that most of the sites are NOT level at all... we ended up having to put the back end of our RV on blocks (14" of them to be exact) in order to level the rig... a bit scary having the back end that high up, but it all worked out. (thankfully a few friends warned me of the un-level sites before we left, so I had plenty of pieces of wood with us to get us level.

What follows is absolutely not for you full timers, nor anybody faint of heart.

We left for our 600 mile trip on Thursday night at approx 6pm (right after my wife got back from work) -- we drove 200 miles to Lebanon, IN, where we found that the Flying J there with rv parking was completely full with trucks on the car/rv side. Seriously, the truck lot had a bunch of open spaces, but the RV spaces were all filled with 18 wheelers - What's up with that? By this point I was quite tired, and we used the RVParky app to see what else we could do. We found the Camping World immediately south of Indy allows for overnight parking, so we pulled in there and spent the night... very quiet, and easy night... got up the next morning right as the employees were starting to arrive and headed out... if we would have had a few extra hours, we probably would have stopped and checked out the store.

We drove the final 400 miles pretty much straight through. If you're heading south out of Indiana, careful of the Google directions, it will route you down some very narrow single lane roads that have no shoulder and ditches on both sides. Definitely some white knuckle driving there.

We made it to Fall Creek Falls around 1pm on Friday.

Oh, if you do go there, make sure you go in on the "South" entrance. The other entrance has some nasty switchbacks and narrow roads (again, we were fore-warned about that)

The weekend with my sister and her family was great.

Monday morning we got up, and drove straight through -- all 600 miles, home. This time we drove the interstates and it was a much less stressful trip.

All in all, a great trip, albeit very short. Not sure I really want to do that much driving in single days again, but we had a great time, and couldn't have made it happen any other way, so it was totally worth it.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Glad you made it home safely. Driving 600 miles with no lay over!!!! Wow, that is really gettin' after it!!! Glad you enjoyed the trip. Sorry about all them truckers taking up RV spots. They would have something to say if we took some of their spots, but I have seen several 5er's in truck spots. You are right, if they had spots in back, they should have taken them. Safe travels in the future.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanick View Post
We left for our 600 mile trip on Thursday night at approx 6pm (right after my wife got back from work) -- we drove 200 miles to Lebanon, IN, where we found that the Flying J there with rv parking was completely full with trucks on the car/rv side.
Too bad, there is a nice campground right near Lebanon, IN called Old Mill Run Park Campground, Thorntown, IN. It is just a few miles west of I-65 at the Lebanon/Thorntown exit. We stayed there on one of our 1st trips to Indy area (my old stomping grounds).
Old 08-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #7

Good to know about Camping world. Will keep that in mind for future travels.

We used to always look for Flying J's with the RV parking but have discovered the truckers like to park in that area also. They are very handy, easy on-off from the interstate but so noisy and busy, it is difficult to get one of our dogs out for walks because of the noise and traffic.

We did an overnight at a Cracker Barrel our last trip. So quiet! They are now high on the driver's list for a quick overnight stop. We called ahead and asked permission, thanked the manager and had a nice breakfast the next morning.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote