Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

Pacific Coast Highway

Am going from Boise to McMinnville,Ore. in December.Then are going to travel south on 101 and 1 along coast to Southern California.

Want to see Redwoods other sites along the way.
What do we not want to miss seeing ?
Are in no hurry so slow travel is not a problem,nor are twisty narrow roads as long as they are doable in a 38foot dp towing.

I have wore out knees so a lot of walking is not possible.Any suggestion are appreciated.
Thanks Dave
dakratdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

If the summer, I'd say go horseback riding on the beach at Pacific City. This time of year, I'd still say go to the beach but for the experience of the wind and deafening roar of the waves crashing onto the beach. You'll never forget it. Lots of public beach accesses along 101. You'll want some really warm clothes, boots and rain gear...
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #3

If you're interested in airplanes, don't miss the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville or the Tillamook Air Museum. The Evergreen Museum is on highway 18 across from the McMinnville airport. There's a 747 on the roof.

The Tillamook museum is worth a visit just to see the building it's housed in. It's clearly visible from 101 a few miles south of town. You would have to go north a ways on 101 from OR-18 to see it.

Highway 101 is do-able with your rig, but I wouldn't risk Highway 1, based on reports I've read. I'm sure someone with direct experience of CA-1 will chime in.

Something to bear in mind is that winter and spring are when the OR and CA highway departments do a lot of their maintenance and repair work on 101. We were down that way last April and found many stretches of single-lane traffic. Parts of the southbound lane highway often slide off down to the beach!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ca one is doable. We did it twice from Morrow Bay to the Columbia in a 38 footer towing. Little puckery at times, just take your time and enjoy.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do you like lighthouses? If so, you're in for a treat on 101! There are 9 gorgeous specimens on the OR coast and many more in CA. You can pick up a guide at any of the state parks and basically work your way down. Highly recommend the state parks in Oregon regardless of whether you like lighthouses or not. Great places to stay.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

Ferndale, near Eureka has a great bunch of Victorian buildings,In Eureka, aguy has a fasinating museum/woodshop/school. He has the largest collection of human powered wood working tools in the US. He has done work for 3 presidents/
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you want a quiet place try "Surf City" next to Lompoc in Calif. It s not a town or city-just a large parking lot next to the beach were a train depot use to be. Wide open beaches and dunes.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #8

Hwy 1 caution

We did Hwy 1 from Leggett to Bodega Bay one year in a 23-foot MH with no toad and found it a bit of a white-knuckle ride, but spectacular!! A couple of years ago we did the portion between San Francisco north to Bodega Bay. This is also a lovely drive, but also a bit of a white-knuckler in spots. In fact, posted highway signs just west of Mill Valley warn RVs longer than a certain length (I think 30') not to take that route (from Mill Valley through Stinson Beach), and we were glad not to be in a larger RV. The road from Point Reyes to Bodega is much more friendly and well worth it. You can bypass the lower part of Hwy 1 by driving west from Greenbrae to Point Reyes. Haven't driven that, so can't compare, but apparently it's the preferred way.

It all has to do with your comfort level, I guess.

We really enjoyed Bodega Bay. Doran Regional Park is right on the ocean and has hookups. I understand it can get a little breezy, but it was fine when we were there (once in December, once in March). Try the clam chowder at the Spud Point Crab Company. Mm!
mlbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #9

We went from Malibu to Astoria in May and June...so cannot comment on the weather in December.

We used Hwy 101 except for Hwy 1 from Santa Monica to Oxnard...and Watsonville to the south end of the Golden Gate bridge.

Do not miss driving the 32 mile Avenue of the Giants. The Ancient Redwoods RV Park in Redcrest is on the northern section of the avenue. This area is really remote. Do not expect cellular service.

We stayed at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds in Santa Rosa, but suggest you stay in an RV Park near Vallejo. Take the Jetcat ferry to Fishermen's Wharf and have lunch. Bodega Bay (for The Birds) is a nice day trip in the toad.

We stayed at Betabel RV Park south of Gilroy. You can take your toad to visit Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur.

We stayed at Wine Country RV Park in Paso Robles. You can take your toad to Piedras Blancas beach just north of San Simeon...the thousands of elephant seals beneath the boardwalk will blow your mind. We skipped the Hearst Castle...our legs and pocketbooks were not up for it either. There are hundreds of beautiful small wineries in the area.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #10

I am a big one for parking the motorhome in one spot for a week and exploring the area in the toad. For example, staying at Betabel and exploring Monterrey, staying in Willits and exploring the Fort Bragg area. I've driven 101 from one end to the other, and you will be fine. Highway 1 on the other hand . . . Not for me, and my rig's a 37'er towing a C-RV. As far as great places to see, there are a bunch. We love Florence and Bandon. The jet boats at Gold's Beach are awesome. The Redwoods, and there are numerous groves, are just great! Prairie Creek, though it doesn't have hook-ups does have lots of elk. There's a great drive to the coast there, but it is absolutely not for a motorhome. Ferndale is also one of our favorites. Highway 211 to the coast and back to the redwoods is really something, but not in a motorhome. Shelter Cove west of Redway is famous for fish and chips, and transmission failures on the very steep, very dangerous grade down to it. Call ahead for times and visit Seabisquit's ranch (and RV park) in Willits. Personally, I'd avoid 101 in the San Francisco area, but I did it once, including the Golden Gate Bridge, so it can be done. Hearst Castle is a must, but leave the RV in Morro Bay or Pismo. Paso Robles if you enjoy wineries. Once you hit Ventura, 101 is LA congestion. And a whole other series of suggestions. One other thing. The weather along the coast can get very windy and very wet. My favorite park in the area, Ancient Redwoods, is not open in the winter because in a very wet year, it will be under many feet of river. Snow is a possibility, too. But, we've been from Eureka south many times around Christmas and it has been great!
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #11

Hwy 1? Been there done that Never again. Too twisty and narrow for hours for us. You can spend days in Paso Robles doing wineries. Get a driver for the day. If you need a name let me know I know a guy :-) :-) He does it all the time and knows which wineries to see.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote