Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Pacific Coast Highway

Looking for comments from those who have travelled the PCH in a class A with a toad? Doable? Pros/cons
DWTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

I assume you mean the extra scenic part from Monterey south to Morro Bay. Have driven it several times, but in a car, not MH. The route itself can be done in a big MH. You will likely hold up traffic, so use pullouts and be courteous. Some sort of sharp turns, but nothing you can't make.

The rest of Hwy 1 (PCH) in CA can also be done with the MH, but it is not as popular. I would do Hwy 1 with my MH without any concerns.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We have done CA Hwy 1 from Leggett in the north where it exits 101 to Point Reyes. And then from Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara. We have a Monaco Safari Trek (29 ft.) towing a Chevy HHR. We had no problems, but anything larger than 35 ft. would have problems in many areas.

From Leggett down to the coast is signed with limitations. We experienced 10 mph curves and down shifted to low going down the hills and curves.

North of Bodega Bay met a 40 footer on a curve. He stopped and wouldn't move until I had passed. the expression on his face was priceless.

Big Sur, south of Monterey, may be difficult with a 40 foot rig and it is posted.

From Moro Bay south should not be a problem.

Beautiful drive. Do it north to south and put the wife on the ocean side of the highway. She will be thrilled by the view.
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
IC2

Years ago we did the PCH in an F350 gasser pulling a 30' 5th wheel. I don't recall all of the sites, but we started North of San Diego and went to North of San Fransisco ( Napa Valley area) and staying a several places along the way. Somewhere I have a photo of the beach near Hearst Castle and my son swimming with a sea lion. We actually pulled that 5er through the streets of S.F. - but these days, probably would opt to go around the city instead, then take a side trip or two to visit the city ( and again, drive Lombard Street in a large pickup truck - no, the 5er didn't make that trip down the hill )

So, to the OP, why not? I just wouldn't do it on a weekend
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

you will be much happier taking 101 and doing day trips to 1.
there are length restrictions on parts of it and very few turn outs that a rv and toad can pull out and let the long line behind you by and enjoy the stunning views
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
you will be much happier taking 101 and doing day trips to 1.
there are length restrictions on parts of it and very few turn outs that a rv and toad can pull out and let the long line behind you by and enjoy the stunning views
X2
We opted to startt the 101 north of San Francisco and drove to Washington
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

In 2005 when my wife and first took to the road we took CA1 at the northern end from US101 with a 32' class A and a 12' trailer with two motorcycles in it. We were 45' long and didn't know any better. There were times we could see whole trailer in the rear views, I used the whole road in some of the corners, received "What The HE## are you doing here!!" stares from oncoming traffic and generally scared the ourselves to death and then we got to the water! and it got worse.. As said in the other posts, Not For Big Riggs.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We drove this route south from Washington to Napa in a ~40' Class A no toad. Very nice drive, the scenery along the Oregon coast was breathtaking. We stopped often for pictures and just to take it all in.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

You don't mention what coach or tow vehicle you are discussing so that may have some deciding factors. A 40 footer with your towed vehicle probably is not going to be wise or fun. If you are in a shorter set up it is not bad but you will not be the fastest vehicle on the road and you will spend a lot of time in the pull outs to let the line of cars go by. Last year I rode my motorcycle along that highway and the traffic sucked there was so much of it.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #10

My wife and I rode Harleys on 1 several years ago. Tight turns and lots of traffic especially as you neared San Francisco. I wouldn't do it with my current rig and toad.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Beautiful drive! In some of the turns, you can actually read the rear plate on your toad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #12

Just to clarify .... because some get it mixed up.... there's Hwy 1 and there's Hwy 101. 101 is very easy to do in a large RV. You can take 101 from Washington down through California. Not such a pleasant drive on Hwy 1. You'd be watching the road and curves constantly. Why not park and drive parts of it in your vehicle so that you can really enjoy the scenery?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:57 PM   #13

Had to laugh, this was in General Discussion, where it now says, "moved: pacific coast highway". I wonder where they moved it?
I've driven 101, great drive from West of Redding to WA! Would never attempt hwy 1.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:18 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've drove it one end to the other if you are comfortable on skinny roads it not a problem we love it
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote