Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #1

Taking our new 42 foot Country Coach (w/toad) to Malibu. Staying at the Malibu Beach RV Park just off the Pacific Coast Highway. Arriving via I405 and I10 through Los Angeles. Would like to depart going north to I101 rather than back down into the big city. Looks like two options: Use Malibu Canyon Rd. or Kanan Rd going N to pick up I101. Realize these are small roads and curious if anyone has taken a rig of this size through this area. Appreciate the help/advise.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #2

Taking our new 42 foot Country Coach (w/toad) to Malibu. Staying at the Malibu Beach RV Park just off the Pacific Coast Highway. Arriving via I405 and I10 through Los Angeles. Would like to depart going north to I101 rather than back down into the big city. Looks like two options: Use Malibu Canyon Rd. or Kanan Rd going N to pick up I101. Realize these are small roads and curious if anyone has taken a rig of this size through this area. Appreciate the help/advise.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Try this from Ca on road access. http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...45-bus-map.htm

It was useful to us.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This is a great link.

We've been to California a few times and drove on roads that I wished we had avoided. This link resolves the problem.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Michaels,
Can't be any worse than going over the hill on 88. (My folks live in Pioneer).
I'd be taking a drive in my toad for a look-see. Google maps make it look very do-able on Kanan Rd, but hard to tell just how steep the terrain is. If it is like Ridge Rd going up, I'm pretty sure I'd just go up the road a ways to 126 and cut across.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #6

I would go on up the coast to Las Posas Rd, a straight shot to Camarillo and the 101. Beautiful drive, used often for TV commercial shots, watch for Mugu Rock. You will enter 101 from the right hand lane after cresting the overpass.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #7

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Coming out of that park is a right turn only onto Pacific Coast Highway. I usually stay on the PCH to Oxnard and hit 101 there. Bill's route also sounds reasonable. I would stay away from the other routes.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #8

Staying on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) through Oxnard may indeed be shorter, but you will have to go through downtown Oxnard. Las Posas is through agriculture fields to Camarillo. I go that way because, well, I live there.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #9

A big thanks to everyone. Looking forward to the trip!