Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is my ''take''' on this
A couple years ago me and Willa took 101 and 1 all the way from upper Washington State to San Fran and loved it. We were in a 33 foot Pace with a Ford Ranger behind. Yep. there is a LARGE PUCKER FACTOR on sections of the road but it sure is beautiful. No one has mentioned that you can dry camp along the side of the road. There are ''designated areas '' where you can camp for a couple of bucks but be careful. You will be right next to the guard rail and you can ''tinkle'' over the side and it will evaporate before it hits the ocean below. Go and Go Slow and enjoy. Watch the hills and curves and let folks by when they pack up behind you. We would do it again in a heartbeat for sure. We are from NC.......
Be safe ....

God bless our troops and bring them back home real soon

God bless our vets........

Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #16

Originally Posted by bill dean1 View Post
You can take some guess work out of driving on California highways with special maps from CHP which tells you what highways are not recommended for rv travel.

I've run some Google searches and do not come up with the special RV maps. I do fiind some references to truck restrictions on the CALTRANS site. Do you have a contact point for these special maps?

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #17
Not recommended for larger rigs. The road is narrow with sharp turns.
I've seen rigs with their storage covers ripped off due to the sharp turns and rocks right next to the road.
Roger, PJ and 2 Brittanys- Sadie & Chloe
'01 Safari Trek & '08 C-Dory 22'
'01 Jeep GC Ltd & '09 Jeep GC Overland
Fishinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #18
Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
From Morro Bay north the road is skinny, very skinny ! Ihave gone from Morro Bay to Washington in a 34ft w/Toad. The real pucker factor comes from terrified Motorhome drivers coming at you taking up most of the road. If the say" El Monte Rents" on the front , that will make you change your shorts cause this is probably their first time in an RV.
Having said that, November will have far less tourists on the road and the scenery is outstanding. I think it is worth the trip.

lol that is funny and true thanks for the chuckle
Ryegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #19

I was on that road abut 10 years ago near fort Bragg when a guy coming the other way, way too fast, was about half way into my lane on a sharp turn. I ran over to the right as far as I could but we smashed mirrors and I lost both right side tires in the gravel on my 5er. I was headed north. He never even slowed down or stopped. All told about 600$ worth of damage to my rig. My nerves were completely shattered. Had to have my 5er towed to Fort Bragg where we bought 2 new tires and replaced my Dodge mirror and we tied up highway 1 on a sharp turn for hours.

Later that evening, the weather was very dark and it started raining. I decided to take it easy and continue my journey northward. The fog rolled in and in 5 minutes I couldn't see a thing. That was one scary ride. I finally found a place off the road that we could stop and we spent the night and weathered that storm buffeting the trailer. The next morning I continued northward and had a fabulous drive all the way to Canada. Breathtaking views and beautiful scenery if you like the sea.

November can bring substantial rainfall along the coast and the drive can be treacherous but the scenery is worth it. If a storm blows in while on the road get off 1 and find a place to go to dinner and relax. I would not advise driving along 1 in a storm. Fog, heavy rainfall, strong gusts of wind, treacherous road, and very poor visibility can easily turn into a tragic event. That road often in winter can get washed out or damaged and often it's hundred of feet down to the shoreline. Take your time, go easy, plan for the best and be prepared for the worst, use common sense, and you will be fine.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 AM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad I made you smile Ryegal !
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I've run some Google searches and do not come up with the special RV maps. I do fiind some references to truck restrictions on the CALTRANS site. Do you have a contact point for these special maps?

Did anyone ever find a link to these CalTrans maps?

Would be useful.

2006 Monaco Diplomat Atrium model, 41'
Cummins ISL-400HP CM850
bukzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
To me it boils down to can vs should. Driving carefully & slowly, there's no part of 1 you can't handle. For the sake of other drivers, and so that you can fully enjoy it, consider accessing this area via 20 from Willits. Find a nice park for the 5'er, then drive north and south in your truck. Even it will seem too big on parts of this road.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #23

I second the plan to park your rig and drive your toad from 101 to Fort Brag. I also was forced off the narrow road and destroyed front and rear tires and wheels just above Fort Brag. Roads in and out are very windy, have sharp hairpin turns, and are NOT FUN.

As for the ocean views - spectacular. Some of the most beautiful clear water with lots of sea life, kelp, etc. Certainly worth the effort to see.
Boogieman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
Those views are super but mostly for everyone else.
The driver will not have time to take his/her eyes off the road much!

2006 Monaco Diplomat Atrium model, 41'
Cummins ISL-400HP CM850
bukzin is offline   Reply With Quote