Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Pacific Coast Hwy north

I have read about driving the PCH in southern CA, but what about from Leggett south? I have heard it is not a friendly road for RV's. We are still planning on taking our 36' 5th wheel for a trip there this November.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
California 1 heading south of Leggett is or can be a scary drive especially towing a larger rig such as yours. Hwy 101 is much easier, more comfortable, and perhaps safer, etc. I drove Hwy 1 a few years ago in a 28 foot motorhome and personally I'd only take that portion of Hwy 1 again if I had a need to visit a particular place such as Ft Bragg.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
From Morro Bay north the road is skinny, very skinny ! Ihave gone from Morro Bay to Washington in a 34ft w/Toad. The real pucker factor comes from terrified Motorhome drivers coming at you taking up most of the road. If the say" El Monte Rents" on the front , that will make you change your shorts cause this is probably their first time in an RV.
Having said that, November will have far less tourists on the road and the scenery is outstanding. I think it is worth the trip.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Thanks Chuck,
You pretty much confirmed what I believed. We have had RV's pretty much around the country. Out here on 101, 199, 299, etc. I believe we will make the trip and just not be in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
From Morro Bay north the road is skinny, very skinny ! Ihave gone from Morro Bay to Washington in a 34ft w/Toad. The real pucker factor comes from terrified Motorhome drivers coming at you taking up most of the road. If the say" El Monte Rents" on the front , that will make you change your shorts cause this is probably their first time in an RV.
Having said that, November will have far less tourists on the road and the scenery is outstanding. I think it is worth the trip.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful country but the reviews on the road are spot on. Take your time and be careful... especially headed south since that big blue thing on your right will be the Pacific Ocean and it's often times hundreds of feet straight down from the edge of the road.

Use care too if you decide to pull over to take photos, etc since the shoulders can be soft and give way under the weight of a large rig. This happened in the Blue Ridge Mtns just last week I believe and 7 people got the ride of their lives.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #6

You will be fine on 1. Sometimes you just go a little slow. The views are awesome. Enjoy your trip.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #7

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

For me...I drove from Willits to Fort Bragg with M/H and toad. Parked the M/H at an RV park and used toad to do day trips South to Duncan Mills and next day North to Leggett. Worked for me and did not require a change of underwear. Returned to Willits and did 101 to Astoria Oregon.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can have a look on UTube.com to see, if you find your planned stretch of the Highway. Take the drive south on the Highway. DW will hang over the edge!!!

TW

www.utube.com
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #9

If they say" El Monte Rents" on the front , that will make you change your shorts cause this is probably their first time in an RV.

Ha ha aint that the truth.

A couple of years ago I cut across from Reno to the coast and then south. What a drive.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #10

Smile Thanks to everybody

Thanks to all of you for your input on my question. Speed is not of the essence, so I think it will be worthwhile. We are looking for some slow time and relaxation after another season of managing a RV resort in northern California on 101.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay15246 View Post
Thanks Chuck,
You pretty much confirmed what I believed. We have had RV's pretty much around the country. Out here on 101, 199, 299, etc. I believe we will make the trip and just not be in a hurry.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Commercial Member

I would recommend against taking any vehicle larger than an automobile on CA Hwy 1 from US 101, Exit 445 (just north of Sausalito) to Stinson Beach. This section is narrow curvy and mountainous, and is very slow going even in a car (many sections of 20 MPH speed limit).

If you're northbound, Stay on US 101 at least as far north as San Rafael, and then use Sir Francis Drake Blvd to cut over to SR 1. Even this road is narrow and rough. Better yet, stay on US 101 N to Petaluma, and then use Point Reyes-Petaluma Rd to get to the coast. This route has the added advantage of going past the Marin French Cheese Company, so you can stop, taste, perhaps purchase, perhaps have a picnic.

Southbound, the same advice applies. If you stay on SR 1 all the way to Stinson Beach, then turn around and use one of the above two routes to get over to US 101.
jobriant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ca. 1

Did it several years ago in 40 ft. DP towing Jeep from Morro Bay to Astoria, Ore. Beautiful scenery. Pucker factor is high now and then but depending on time of year I would do it again.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi:
You can take some guess work out of driving on California highways with special maps from CHP which tells you what highways are not recommended for rv travel.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dean1 View Post
Hi:
You can take some guess work out of driving on California highways with special maps from CHP which tells you what highways are not recommended for rv travel.