Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Pacific Northwet Trip To The South in January.

I live on Vancouver Island and my wife and I are planning a trip south to Arizona, Mexico and warmer climes. We can't leave Port Alberni until after a new years party I am in charge of and I want to plan as safe a trip as possible starting on or about January 4th 2016.

Anyone have any ideas of the best way to go as I was thinking I-5 from the Peace Arch to the highway 58 interchange and then work east to 15-40 to get us to Barstow and then up to Needles. Then from there we want to run straight south to Casa Grande AZ and then into Puerto Peņasco Mexico

I am looking for the best route that will not get me into snow covered passes that frequent mountain ranges. Open to suggestions. TIA.

This trip itinerary will probably get modified immensely as we mutate from place to place meeting up friends from TOT.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

If weather is good you could take hwy 89 off I-5 in northern California towards Susanville then down to Reno and then over to and down hwy 95 to Las Vegas. Then hwy 93 to Phoenix and I-10 to Casa Grande. We have used this route summer and winter but in not in winter if snow is predicted.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #3

101 from Astoria would be your best shot for lack of snow in the passes.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
If weather is good you could take hwy 89 off I-5 in northern California towards Susanville then down to Reno and then over to and down hwy 95 to Las Vegas. Then hwy 93 to Phoenix and I-10 to Casa Grande. We have used this route summer and winter but in not in winter if snow is predicted.
We've taken that route thru Susanville and Reno as far south as Las Vegas. Two lane narrow roads most of the way along with a few pretty steep hills. Interesting for sightseeing and a long leisurely drive, but only if the journey is the destination!

I-5 from southern Oregon to Mt. Shasta is always a bit of a crap shoot in the winter. We drove it in April and it snowed. Taking 101 along the coast would be slower and perhaps longer but at least you'd probably have no snow issues.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #5

I'd suggest taking SR-20 from I-5 to the Coupeville (really Keystone) and sailing over to Port Townsend. From PT, south on SR-20 to its connection to US101. From there you have the choice of the Pacific coast side of the Olympics or the Hood Canal side to Astoria, the south on the Oregon coast into CA.

We're familiar with the route as far as Crescent City, but then we'd normally go over to Grant's pass to head home.

I'm sure other folks familiar with northern CA can advise on which way east to AZ is least likely to get snow.

Enjoy the trip.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Frank, I was thinking of taking the Coho to Port Angeles but that would necessitate a trip over the notorious Malahat in winter. I usually leave home at about 1:00 am in winter to eliminate the possibility of tax collectors in police uniforms checking for snow tires up on the "Hump" pass immediately east of me here in the valley.

Try explaining to a ticket hungry gendarme that I am driving a motorhome. If conditions dictate I pull over and camp until conditions allow travel. They just believe it too easy to issue tickets.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
The route you've planned will be fine, This is how we've been going to Palm Desert from Vancouver for the past 30 years. The only change I'd make is to switch to 99 at Saremento to Bakersfield where you change to 58. Once at Barstow, find I40. Just watch the Siskiyou summit for snow between Ashland and Yreka Caltrans District 2 -Northeastern California and then maybe Hwy 58 through Tehachapi District 6 CCTV Images not likely, but maybe.

The 101 from Astoria along the coast or leaving I5 at Shasta through Lassen park to Susanville are nice to drive, but not in an RV unless one has a lot of time. Hwy 101, 89 and 44 are all very narrow, winding single lane roads for the most part and not really suitable for large RVs.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95f5334j View Post

The 101 from Astoria along the coast or leaving I5 at Shasta through Lassen park to Susanville are nice to drive, but not in an RV unless one has a lot of time. Hwy 101, 89 and 44 are all very narrow, winding single lane roads for the most part and not really suitable for large RVs.
That would be your opinion and I respectfully disagree. I think all those roads are suitable for an RV - the original poster. I believe, is driving a 30 foot motorhome. I've driven those in my 40 foot towing a car and was not uncomfortable doing so. Just my opinion.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Least chance of bad weather is 101 to the Bay Area then south on 5 from there I also agree no problem on 101 ... with my 41mh and towed 101 is 2 lane but wide and easy.
Baring that 5 as far south as possible only the I5 Oregon, California pass to deal with .. Going east in Oregon or n Cali will put you in possible snow country for sure and Cali is very strict all hours on chain laws.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #10

I've made this trip down I5 a few times in the winter.
DOT or some similar officials are usually monitoring the passes(Ashland)in advance of a snowfall(called a chain check) Not having chains typically means you are not going over the pass until the warning has expired.
Once I was stopped at Ashland with a truck and had to chain up. There was no debating this unless I had a 4X4 with studded tires. I saw semi's throwing chains on all drives and the right rear of the trailer-nasty.
Now that I have a motorhome and may run the odd winter pass, I do carry chains. The chains are simply to get me through the check point. If it is snowing enough to warrant chaining up, I'm parking.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I-5 to Bakersfield, 58 to Barstow, pickup I-40 at Barstow. Only possibility for snow will be Siskou pass on I-5 and over Tehachapi pass on route 58.
Both passes are well maintained and plowed by Caltrans. I have traveled this route many times in winter, have never been delayed by snow except too reduce speed for a few miles once on Siskiou pass. However, with the prediction of El Nino weather conditions in California this winter, things could change. I would plan on using this route even with the prediction, would be the fastest and easiest route to your destination. Not the most scenic, but the fastest.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #12

If you do end up going down I-5 , do not take the 58 through Bakersfield , it is traffic light central. Go a little further south and take the road through Arvin, it's about 20 miles further , but can save 45 mins over the stop and go in Bakersfield. The Tehachapi pass can be a bit of a challenge as far as weather is concerned so check ahead on conditions , I have been stuck in Mojave waiting for the pass to open after an episode of freezing rain, on a Dec. trip. I-5 was closed at the same time.
If you are going the 58, 15 ,40 route make sure you don't need fuel in Needles, JMHO; Highest price fuel in California. Stations at the junction of I-40 and AZ-95, 21 miles down the road will be a Dollar a US gallon cheaper. Flying J, Pilot and Chevron at the corner. Fuel in Lake Havasu City is sometimes 4 or 5 cents cheaper, but stations are harder to access.

California 95 , Needles to Blythe is one, desolate & rough section of highway, I wouldn't take my coach on it after traveling it with my van three years ago. AZ-95 to Quartzsite is a much smoother drive.
In my 8th snowbird season and have traveled, most major routes from the lower mainland to AZ in Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan and March , any questions on where to stop , please ask, PM if you want.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If Bakersfield traffic lights are a problem, take Lerdo highway from I-5 over to hwy 99. Take 99 to 58, no traffic lights. Lerdo highay is 25 miles or so north of Bakersfield. I would for sure fuel up in Barstow.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I-5 to Bakersfield, 58 to Barstow, pickup I-40 at Barstow. Only possibility for snow will be Siskou pass on I-5 and over Tehachapi pass on route 58.
Both passes are well maintained and plowed by Caltrans. I have traveled this route many times in winter, have never been delayed by snow except too reduce speed for a few miles once on Siskiou pass. However, with the prediction of El Nino weather conditions in California this winter, things could change. I would plan on using this route even with the prediction, would be the fastest and easiest route to your destination. Not the most scenic, but the fastest.
Exactly.

We did get stopped by snow on Siskiou Pass one year. Pulled in to the Holiday RV Park in Phoenix Oregon. Spent the night and left the following morning. By the time we got underway, the pass was open and we crossed without incident.

In mid-January we leave from Sequim, near Port Angeles, and go down US-101 to I-5 and on south. This is the most straightforward route. While the chance of snow blocking the road may be slightly higher at Siskiyou and Tehachapi than some other routes, the respective highway departments are very good at clearing the roads. There are plenty of businesses along the way providing travel necessities - e.g. fuel, food, camping space, etc.

For us this has been the fastest and simplest. Oh, and Before we leave I-5 for Bakersfield we get the rig washed at the Royal Truck Wash in Lost Hills, CA. Get all the road scum off.

FWIW

On edit: We cross over to the 99 and then 58 using 46 east out of Lost Hills.

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote