RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #1

Palestine TX to Onalaska TX

DW & I will be picking up our repaired MH (fuel pump replaced) from a Ford dealer in Palestine TX tomorrow at noon. We are going to drive 85 miles south to stay overnight at KOA Lake Livingston in Onalaska.

Should we take:

287 from Palestine to Crockett, turn on 19 to Trinity, where we pick up 356 to Onalaska?

Or

287 from Palestine to Groveton, turn on 355 to Sebastopol, where we pick up 356 to Onalaska?

We are not familiar with the area between Palestine and Onalaska.

tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #2

I drove 287 from Woodville to Crocket in my coach about 4 months ago and as I recall it was a good road, though they were starting to do a bit of construction near the Woodville end. I also drove 287 from Palestine to Crocket about a year ago, at which time there was some construction just south of Palestine, though no good option to bypass it. Road overall was good, though it was a very windy day with lots of wind gusts I was paying attention to.

Ike

p.s. there is a good restaurant overlooking the lake at the KOA Onalaska TX, we ate there when doing an overnight stop on our way to the Texas hill country last May. I don't recall what we had, but I remember the appetizer and maybe the complimentary bread as being very good. There is also a nice easy access gas station / small truck stop a few miles west of Onalaska KOA at the intersection of 405 and US190 that I often use when passing through the area, in case you need fuel. I live about 125 miles east of Onalaska on US190, so pass through there almost anytime we are heading west.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I drove 287 from Woodville to Crocket in my coach about 4 months ago and as I recall it was a good road, though they were starting to do a bit of construction near the Woodville end. I also drove 287 from Palestine to Crocket about a year ago, at which time there was some construction just south of Palestine, though no good option to bypass it. Road overall was good, though it was a very windy day with lots of wind gusts I was paying attention to.

Ike

p.s. there is a good restaurant overlooking the lake at the KOA Onalaska TX, we ate there when doing an overnight stop on our way to the Texas hill country last May. I don't recall what we had, but I remember the appetizer and maybe the complimentary bread as being very good. There is also a nice easy access gas station / small truck stop a few miles west of Onalaska KOA at the intersection of 405 and US190 that I often use when passing through the area, in case you need fuel. I live about 125 miles east of Onalaska on US190, so pass through there almost anytime we are heading west.
DW & I ate a couple of dinners there two years ago when we stayed at KOA Lake Livingston, and we were looking forward to eating there tomorrow night because the food was good. Unfortunately, I noticed on the website the restaurant closed down last Sep. It is currently being remodeled.

We are not taking much with us because we are driving 185 miles in 2 dr jeep with three dogs to pick up MH, and will only be staying one night before going home.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #4

Please post back if you find out anything about what is going on with the restaurant
Old 01-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
287 to 19 is best shot

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #6

Left the house at 08:00, picked up MH at noon, then drove to Onalaska. We were fully setup and chilling by 15:00 hours.

Garmin 770RV wanted to route us 287 from Palestine to Crockett, where we would pick up 19, pass through Trinity all the way to Huntsville, and then backtrack US190 to Onalaska.

We turned onto 356 in Trinity. Part of the two lane has no shoulders. We had no trouble with 356, but we kept speed between 45 - 55 depending upon shoulder availability. Very little traffic, and didn't have any tailgaters.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Please post back if you find out anything about what is going on with the restaurant
KOA owns the facility, but leases it out. The previous tenant was operating it as a second location to their large restaurant they have in Huntsville. The Huntsville restaurant decided not to renew their lease on KOA Lake Livingston.

KOA Lake Livingston is remodeling the facility, including new appliances. They will start searching for a new tenant or chef in the near future.

Tags
alaska