Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Pan-american highway

I found one blog so far about a class A going to Panama City, Panama. Anyone here ever do it? My wife and I are thinking about it. I am curious about how hard it would be to get good gas for my workhorse.

My RV has decent ground clearance. I wonder where I would get water and dump sewer. Shouldn't be very hard getting propane if I would need any. I also wonder how hard it would be to get a tire, a tow, or parts for my engine if something down there would happen.

I would need to take the trip in about 2 months there and back.

Anyone have any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #2

Your post made me remember an experience I had in 1973 driving a Jeep with an 8 cylinder Chevy V8 in Mexico...to the southern border from San Diego.
Needed a fuel pump as ours failed. Found out after several stops at auto parts stores that at that time, they hadn't imported Chevy V8 engines into Mexico. We had to return 1800 miles with a boat fuel tank mounted on the roof with a siphon fuel line routed through the grill and into the carburetor.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dropframe,
You are very brave. I think your biggest problem would be to stay alive and return safely.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #4

Look at the various commercial caravan itineraries, I'll bet you can infer some info there. Look at the FAQs for the trip as fuel issues will certainly be a common question. Also send those organizers specific questions about it.

I'd also do a general Google of your question (using several variations including "Trans America") to find many blogs in doing so.

I do know that folks tend to add aftermarket mega-filter assemblies on the fuel system (gas or diesel) before penetrating that far down. Do some homework on those filter systems by Googling stuff like Baja Racing Fuel Filter and related. Some even had fuel test kits on board.

In my now dated brief research I found that getting to Panama City was "not that difficult" but that was the distance limit as far as road (and militia) conditions would allow for a class A. The Visas and various permits can be problematic - especially at the "one man show" boarder crossings.

Try these guys as well....
Trans-Americas Journey | Pan-American Road Trip -Travel North America, Central America, South America overland drive

Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #5

Having spent the winter in the Rio Grande Valley the papers are full of the cartel way of business. Recent Federal trial of cartel members caught on this side high lighted the graduation excerise of future cartel killers. They enter a room with kidnapped people tied to chairs, the killers are given an axe or sledge hammer to prove their ability. You get the picture, I would not drive my RV to Mexico with a company or Marines in Strykers. Richardn
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #6

For real first hand blogging of RV travel DEEP in Mexico Tioga George is a superb repository of info and experiences. I think you'll be surprised at the difference between isolated and sensationalized media and the real world.

Tioga George Blog
Old 03-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #7

I have been reading a lot about world auto travel at the expedition portal. Seems like it won't be too much of a challenge in a class A. The biggest issue I would probably have is the fact I have a gasser and not a diesel. Seems gas quality varies far more then what diesel does.

I'm not going to talk to my boss about the time off for awhile. I was hoping for a few more links for people in a class A - esp. those who have gassers. I have a lot of time to keep poking around yet.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

God Bless you in your travels.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Here is a story about a couple that made the trip you are talking about in a pop up truck cmper.

Logan and Brianna Pribbeno: Pan-Am By Pop-Up | Truck Camper Magazine
Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My brother just made his 2. trip to Costa Rica in a 78 Chevy Van... I call him NUTS, but he got last night back from this winter trip..... He does not even have Health Ins.....
Right now you could not get me south of the US / Mex. Border.... No way!!!

He drives this old van on purpose... Who wants it!!!
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
For real first hand blogging of RV travel DEEP in Mexico Tioga George is a superb repository of info and experiences. I think you'll be surprised at the difference between isolated and sensationalized media and the real world.

Tioga George Blog
My best friend lives in San Diego. We used to travel to Mexico and Baja a couple times a year and enjoyed it very much. He won't go south anymore because of the problems being reported. It seems that the media in the rest of the US ignore the reports, but many of them get to the border towns like San Diego. If you have decided to go, I would try to make my vehicle look "poor", as anything that says "this guy has money" will likely make you a target. It's also good to go in a big group, even though safety in numbers has its limits.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #12

Driving the Pan American Highway in a motorhome from California to South America
Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally I'm an uncultured dolt. I just don't have enough of a sense of adventure to visit places other that what the amazing United States of America has to offer.

Maybe when I'm through enjoying all this great country has to offer and have spent all my money supporting as many US businesses and industries as I can, I'll try crossing a boarder.

Then again, I doubt it because I'm uncultured and lack a sense of adventure
Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #14

Too many bad guys in Mexico and you can not carry a gun. Visit the states that allow concealed weapons to be carried ( like Florida) and enjoy a state that has less crime. Evan better, learn how to protect your loved ones and yourself. Evil exists in this world. Signed...combat Marine

lowpasslew is offline   Reply With Quote