Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 AM   #1

What is the best route? Are there any problems with tunnels when traveling in a class A motorhome?
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 AM   #2

What is the best route? Are there any problems with tunnels when traveling in a class A motorhome?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #3

The subject to this question is: The best route from Pasadena, MD (Baltimore area) to Virginia Beach VA.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #4

No problems with tunnels etc. Whereabouts in Va Beach are you going? A bit of construction on Birdneck Rd if you are going to Holiday Trav-L Park. You can PM me if you want a work around to avoid the hassle.

Shore Drive is fine (read construction is complete) if you are going to First Landing State Park.

Jeff
AAL747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

301 to 95 is a better alternative...

Birdneck Road is being widened in the area just before General Booth Boulevard, where you'd turn to access Holiday Trav-L Park...
Exit 264 at the First Colonial exit (Exit 21),it turns into Oceana Boulevard and runs all the way to General Booth Boulevard...The kids will get to see low flying jets landing at the Air Station too!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:32 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a reminder that all of the tunnels into the area require you to stop at the inspection station and verify your gas bottles are turned off before traveling them . And if you deceide to come down Rt. 13 it can be up to a $28.00 to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT) depending on what your towing. I'd avoid the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel(HRBT) any time after 11 am on Friday's. The Monitor Merrimack Bridge Tunnel (MMBT)is a couple of miles longer overall but is usually clear especially coming from the north.

Ol'Joe
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 AM   #7

Do I want to take 95 to 64 and then go through one of the tunnels? I will be at the Holiday Trav-L-Park on Gen. Booth Blvd.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 AM   #8

I would agree with your proposal. Remember to get from I-95 to I-64 you exit left from I-95.

As a heads up when on I-64 when you get around exit number 263 (Bass Pro Shop)the interstate in the next 4 miles will start necking down to 2 lanes (outer most two). Be in one of those two lanes preferable the right lane. As stated prior to entring tunnel you will have to exit for a propane inspection (consists of asking if your propane is off). Coming towards Va Beach as you will be, at the propane inspection station be very careful when you get back on 64 becasue your share and on ramp with incoming traffic (one of the stupidist arrangements I have ever seen).

As Rebelsbeach stated get off at First Colonial and continue straight ahead past NAS Oceana to Geeral Booth Boulevard where you will turn left. Holiday Trav-L Park will be on your left hand side a little over 1.5 miles (before the next traffic light on General Booth (which is the intersection of General Booth and Birdneck Rd.).

Hope you have a safe trip.

V/R
Jeff
AAL747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dickfrompasadena:
Do I want to take 95 to 64 and then go through one of the tunnels?

Thanks for your help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a small clarification....When you exit I95, you exit to 295 and then 13 miles later you pick up I64...

It's very well marked, just wanted to make certain you had the right info.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:51 AM   #10

Thanks to all....Have a wonderful holiday.