Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Penn turnpike around Scranton or I81?

Heading north and we have not used the turnpike in a long time because it didn't seem to take that much off the trip. On the way south the construction in Scranton was a PIA and we read it is still ongoing. We don't care about the tolls if it will reduce the time and stress of the road work.

Anyone been through that way recently that can comment? Any problems on the Tpk with a 40' and toad?
TIA

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #2

HD4Mark,

You didn't specify how you are coming to Scranton, but with your NY list on your post heading, I'll assume I-81 or I-84.

If so, turn south on I-380 to I-80, then west to I-81. This eliminates some of the heavy traffic around Scranton and the T-pike tolls for only a few miles longer trip.

If I-84, consider taking US 209 south from Port Jervis to Stroudsburg and I-80. US 309 is two lane through a park but except for a few miles above Stroudsburg is very good road. I see large rigs w/toads coming through the park on a regular basis as this is my route from home to the New England area.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

HD4Mark,

Sorry, I just saw you were northbound, not southbound. Just reverse my directions.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
HD4Mark,

You didn't specify how you are coming to Scranton, but with your NY list on your post heading, I'll assume I-81 or I-84.

If so, turn south on I-380 to I-80, then west to I-81. This eliminates some of the heavy traffic around Scranton and the T-pike tolls for only a few miles longer trip.

If I-84, consider taking US 209 south from Port Jervis to Stroudsburg and I-80. US 309 is two lane through a park but except for a few miles above Stroudsburg is very good road. I see large rigs w/toads coming through the park on a regular basis as this is my route from home to the New England area.
We are coming up I81 from the south and yes, heading to central NY. We really don't mind the tolls if it is a better drive and figure it is part of the (high) price of RVing.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Mark, just get off 81 at Pittston and take the PA Turnpike north to the end, where it dumps you back off on 81 again. It's a much better drive, less traffic and except for some work on the Clark Summit bridge (might be done by now) a much better drive.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Mark, just get off 81 at Pittston and take the PA Turnpike north to the end, where it dumps you back off on 81 again. It's a much better drive, less traffic and except for some work on the Clark Summit bridge (might be done by now) a much better drive.
That sounds like a plan. Thanks
Old 04-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I go this way a couple of times a year. I just go through Scranton on I-81. As with any metro area avoid rush times. For the last several years, it was clear sailing (even with the construction) and traffic was going the speed limit.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
HD4Mark,

I have considered this route a few times but was concerned with it being a two lane road. When going north in summer and south for the winter, I'm looking for the easiest way. Is it really any faster than staying on I84 to I81 south. Rather than US209 south to I80 west to I84 south?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #9

Ramets,

If you are doing this trip just twice a year, it might not be that much shorter to matter. Apparently, you are also using I-81 south through PA and on down the Shenandoah Valley through VA. Stay with what is comfortable and familiar.

For me, I just don't like the uphill climb to Scranton from the NJ line on I-84, and the heavy traffic in the Wilkes-Barre, Scranton complex. When I use PA 209 through the park, I stay on I-80 west for just a short distance and then pick up PA 33 south (4-lane) to the Allentown-Bethlehem area, US 22, I-78 (4-lanes) west to the Reading, PA area. If you stay on I-78, it joins I-81 on the east side of Harrisburg near Indiantown Gap.

There is also a Cabela's on I-78 at Hamburg for overnight and a free dump station.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #10

Thanks BBQ Judge. I've never gone that way. A question. I-78 doesn't look like it goes to Reading. But I've wondered if getting to 222 outside Allentown is easy enough, and if it's 4 lane all the way to York, where I would pickup I-83 south.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We are coming up I81 from the south and yes, heading to central NY. We really don't mind the tolls if it is a better drive and figure it is part of the (high) price of RVing.
we just came up ..S to N.....last week...I like 81 to 78 then to 287 to 87 north...almost no construction all the way...we only go to Newburgh,then 84 toward Ct...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
we just came up ..S to N.....last week...I like 81 to 78 then to 287 to 87 north...almost no construction all the way...we only go to Newburgh,then 84 toward Ct...Chuck

How bad of a hit is the toll on the N.Y. State Thruway?? I'm 40' towing a car. Also places to stay are few and far between.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
How bad of a hit is the toll on the N.Y. State Thruway?? I'm 40' towing a car. Also places to stay are few and far between.
I really not sure,as we use e-pass and rarely check it...but it isn't that bad...cpl of dollars at best...now ,we only on 87 from Sufferin to Newburgh...so really not that long.......I know there is a KOA right near Newburgh.....not much more info..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #14

Ramets,

Sorry, you are correct, I-78 does not go through Reading but its close enough to my house to say so.

As for US 222, DO NOT pick it up in Allentown area, traffic can be very bad until you reach Reading. I suggest you follow I-78 west to Hamburg (Cabela's is on the hill to your right), Pa. 61 south (mostly four lanes but some red lights) for about 10 miles where you will see US 222 (right exit)which is four lane to Lancaster, then US 30 to York and I-83. Watch the signs in Reading area (just past Penn State campus exit) for US 222 to exit ramp to the right. In Lancaster area when you exit from US 222 onto US 30 west, pay attention to the signs as US 30 exit ramps to right in a short distance. From here to York, no problems.

Hope this helps.

Tags
scr