Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #1

Phily Routes, New Jersey Routes

I came up with some routes that I will post and would appreciate any info regarding the routes
with concerns for overhead (heights) and Tolls.
I have a 35 Foot Motor Home.
1. Coming into Phily from D.C...Hwy 1 thru Phily to Hwy 611, North to Horsham and Horsham Rd
to Hatfield.
2. From Hatfield to Colts Neck, NJ...Hwy 463 a left on Upper State Rd to County Line Rd to Hwy 1
to Morrisville. R on 29 to I-195 to 537, Monmouth Rd to Freehold, to Colts Neck.
3. From Colts Neck to Hwy 1 up the coast line to Mass...Hwy 18 to I-95 to I-278 and Back to I-95
to Hwy 1 In Conn.
MC4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Great route if you are seeking traffic lights and congestion. Otherwise, steer clear of DC, Philly and New Jersey. Swing west to I-81 toward Scranton. Near Scranton take I-84E to New England.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Great route if you are seeking traffic lights and congestion. Otherwise, steer clear of DC, Philly and New Jersey. Swing west to I-81 toward Scranton. Near Scranton take I-84E to New England.
X2 on this route. You really want to AVOID your choices with a MH. (Or anything else, really!). The Connecticut coastline on US1 isn't anything to play around with driving a large vehicle either.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:51 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holy cow... Those are some of the worst roads you could have picked! Rt 18 is always picked #1 for some of the worst traffic in Jersey. You just posted asking for non toll roads to Colts Neck then up to Maine. I guess you figured it out.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
In all honesty, you could not pick a worse route to drive in a motorhome. Drive through downtown Philly when I-95 parallels your route for free?

611 in Horsham? I commuted to Horsham for 8 years - traffic lights, congestion, traffic and Willow Grove Naval Air Station thrown in the middle so you can't get around very easily.

29 near Trenton has some tunnels.

The best part of the route will be I-195 and 537 in NJ but then the congestion starts again. I agree with DG that Rt. 18 is horrible if you hit it at wrong time which is all day and half the night.

Take I-83 out of Baltimore to Harrisburg, PA. Then I-81 to I-78 west. Move to I-287 in NJ. Go over the Tappen Zee Bridge (yes you will pay a toll but you won't be burning gas sitting at traffic lights) which leads you back to I-95 in CT.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote