Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Phoenix to BC April 3

I'm picking up our "New to Us" coach in Phoenix on April 3rd. I'd like to take Hwy 97 to the border crossing at OrovilleOsoyoos which is kind of straight up through the States. However, I'm unsure of the roads and mountain passes this time of year. Am I better off to head over to I-5 straight up to Hwy 9 and cross at Sumas? Can I take I-5 to Hwy 84 from Portland over to Hwy 97 then up?

Oroville (Hwy97) I can bring our new coach over 24 hrs through customs and could cross Sunday. If I go to Sumas, new coach and Customs only week days so I would have to come over Monday, an extra day of holidays lost.

Be nice to hear of others that come home from south and their experience at that time of year.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

I was in Kelowna, and now live at the coast. On trips home to Kelowna, I always incountered snow somewhere in the routes through, Nevada, Idaho and eastern Oregon. I'd say I-5, cut over to 97 at Portland, I-84 , you'll put on about 200 extra miles but the clear roads will make it an easier drive. JMHO.
Now the real question , have you forwarded all the required paperwork to the US Customs at your chosen point of exit. You need to Export , your coach from the US before you can import it into Canada, and the Export Depot wants all the required paperwork in hand 72 hrs in advance of your crossing the border. Do you have B.C. insurance in place for the coach, a Canadian cannot drive a US lisenced/insured vehicle into Canada, even a rental.
You can put a AZ temp permit on the coach and phone your broker in Canada and with a few faxes get ICBC insurance in place for your trip 30 day max. $2500 deductable. That's how I had to do mine.
Hours of operation at the Export site and staffing levels with the cut backs may make you crossing a real hassel
Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Yes to all. This is the second coach I have bought in the states. I use a customs broker for all my paperwork and get my Binder of Insurance at the dealer at signing.
I like the I-5 route cause it will be clear. My only area of concern would be the Wenatchee area and Snowquaulmie Pass. My last coach I bought was almost at the same time and there was a fair bit of snow through that one area. Made it through OK though.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

We don't go that way , to avoid the high country, on 97, Blewett pass, we do the Highway I-90 , from Ellensburg, to Exit #151, onto 283 to Soap Lake then 17 back to 97 just north of Brewster then onto the border. A very pretty route, most of the way.
Snowqualmie Pass I-90, from Wenatchee, would put you back on I-5 ???
Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I think I did that the last trip back from Oregon. It bypassed Lake Chelan too doesn't it?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #6

That would be the route, very few climbs, no real high country.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
CD

My choice would be to take 281 from George (I90) to Quincy then to Wenatchee. At Wenatchee don't cross over the Colombia on either bridge but stay on the right side of the river until you get to Chelan. After you cross the river at Chelan turn(stay) right and go to 97. I think this will be the most direct route and almost no hills, just follow the river except a hill down to the river west of Quincy. I lived in Quincy several years ago.
PS: I just looked at the map again and you pick up on 97 in East Wenatchee. The other side of the river to Chelan is Alt. 97.
Have a good trip.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #8

Since, I assume, the purpose of this journey is to get your new MH back to Vernon as quickly as possible, I would be inclined to take the most direct route along major freeways. We've driven many of the secondary roads in Idaho, Utah, Nevada, etc and they can be slow and time consuming. However, I am not sure you can make a final decision until closer to the actual date. For example, the current snow level on the connector (97C to Merritt) is 3000ft and the roadway exceeds 5000ft at the summit. This is only a problem if you hit nasty weather......we've been over in March when it was clear....no problem ......and hit snow in June...go figure!

I would research the highest points on the most direct route and google the freezing or snow levels.....and start monitoring the weather. If the weather is clear when it is time to make the journey.....you only need a couple of days to make the trip. It is also important to know how cold it is getting along the route and where you intend to overnight....does your new rig have a cold weather package (heated basement, wet bay, etc).

Once you get home you may need to figure-out a way to get under the unit with a power washer to clean-off any accumulated road salt, sand, etc, which will do wonders to your frame if neglected. It will also give you an opportunity to confirm that your cotter & clevis pins are still attached to your automatic slack adjusters!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
So I will be heading west from Phoenix to Blythe. Do I head west to I-5, to Portland and east on I-84 to head north around Hwy 97 and end up at Oroville/Osoyoos or north at Blythe on 95 to Vegas then I-15 up to I-84 then up to Oroville/Osoyoos? It's been about 20 years since I came straight up from Vegas and don't remember the lay of the land. I can figure it out once I turn off I-84 but don't know about north from Blythe route or safer I-5. Like jack said, more direct route on secondary roads could take longer even though more direct.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
It will also give you an opportunity to confirm that your cotter & clevis pins are still attached to your automatic slack adjusters!
While down there, I could probably grease my muffler bearings! LOL