Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #1

Phoenix to Las Vegas

I would like some information on the best and safest route to Las Vegas from Phoenix. I will be driving my RV and towing. Looking at the map, one cannot travel without facing alot of the mountain driving. I would like to know where I could miss most of these conditions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Phoenix, AZ to Las Vegas, NV - Google Maps Don't know your preferences with respect to congestion vs interstate-type highways but the link shows my preferred route. There is one really long pull westbound out of Laughlin. Aside from that, it's pretty easy going.

FWIW

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Alternatively, you could head west on I-10 to Quartzsite, where you would head north on AZ-95, or continue west on I-10 to Blythe, where you would head north on US-95.

We've driven all three routes (the two I proposed and the one Dave shows), and I don't remember any significant "mountains." Taking one of my two routes would avoid the hill near Laughlin.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Route

The way we usualy go is from Phoenix is take 60 toward Wickenburg then take 93 north toward Kingman then 93 to Vegas,Over the dam. I dont remember if their were
any bad roads. We never went that way in winter months so i cant comment on weather that way. Much shorter than through Quartzsite.

George
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've driven this route many times. No matter which way you go there will be grades to climb and decend. With your Dutch Star I wouldn't be concerned by taking the Laughlin route. There is a long decent into Laughlin and a long accent out. Use your jake brake and take it slow into Laughlin especially watch for the last 1/2 mile or so. You also have some grades north of Wickenburg and Wikieup. Going over the dam at Boulder City avoids the Laughlin depression but depending on the day and time, delays are to be expected over the dam due to a lot of tourists gawking and slow traffic. You will also have to go through a police check point before the dam and construction traffic. I hope this helps.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use HWY 95 from I-40 to get up to the Las Vegas area. This spring/summer we will try out that Hwy 95 from I-10 Blythe to Needles then on to Las Vegas. We've been on AZ60 very scenic but slow and ascending. We dont care for the climb into Laughlin let alone the long decent which comes to a stop sign/light at the bottom.
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #7

I have property on 93 south of Kingman but live in Oregon so we have traveled the above described routes and we often vary the route just to take a different road. My 2 cents worth is take US 93 north from Kingman but expect a brief delay at the checkpoint south of the dam and it will be slow crossing the dam. At the check point you will probably need to open basement compartments but not remove items. (I don't see how they can tell you don't have the explosives to destroy the dam but ??) Also they'll walk through the inside of the RV. There is a steep grade doing down towards the dam and it is steep going up the other side but traffic speed will be only be 25 mph or less so that should not be a problem for your coach.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
but expect a brief delay at the checkpoint south of the dam and it will be slow crossing the dam. At the check point you will probably need to open basement compartments but not remove items.
I just came over the dam yesterday coming from LV. The agent look in all basement doors, for the first time for me, and I ask why. He said, " Because the boss was three!" When he checked inside, he "OH, I've been in here before!"

He also said the bridge would open in November, didn't get the the day. The NV side checkpoint will remain open, just for visitor access to the dam, not the highway. He said they made too much money in the on tours, hats, etc., to close it to visitors.

My vote would be to take US 93 from Phoenix to LV. If you don't like the idea of the check point, take 68, just north of Kingman, through Bullhead City and over the bridge to Laughlin (NV) then west (163) to US 95 N to Vegas. It is a very scenic drive, with steep grades (8% 12 miles on AZ side) down to and up from the river.

Harold

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #9

I would also recommend the I-10/US95 north route as lots of traffic and congestion around the dam area.

Good luck with your choice and safe travels.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDave View Post
Phoenix, AZ to Las Vegas, NV - Google Maps Don't know your preferences with respect to congestion vs interstate-type highways but the link shows my preferred route. There is one really long pull westbound out of Laughlin. Aside from that, it's pretty easy going.

FWIW
I drove truck for and traveled this route in a 72' 18 wheeler and had no trouble with this route. I would recommend it.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think I read the the Hoover Dam Bridge Bypass opened on October 19 so looks like the best route is US 60 to Wickenburg US 93 thru Kingman and on to Las Vegas.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #12

Yes, the new bridge is open - I think it cuts a lot of time off the trip since you don't have to cross the dam and "enjoy" the slow traffic down and up the canyon walls. We crossed the new bridge a couple of weeks ago and basically like crossing any freeway bridge anywhere. Not much of a view but easy and fast.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The bridge is open with only minor work being done to the roadway on the AZ side. We will be going over it Monday. Thank God no more long wait on Hoover dam or the Laughlin depression.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went over the bridge Monday. No more slow downs as most of work is complete. For those who are worried about the view and fear of being up so high, the concrete barrier walls are high enough that you really can't see much. You do need to move to the inside lanes per signage before the bridge, just for RVs and trucks.