Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #1

How long would it reasonably take me to drive from Phoenix, AZ to Raleigh, NC driving my Class A motorhome with toad? The route is 2200 miles.
I'd be alone and can usually sit behind the wheel for 700 miles/12 hours. Should I use WalMarts for stops along the way? Mapquest shows ABQ, OKC, Memphis, Alanta as the preferred route. Is that the safest bet this time of year?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi abarki,
You'll need to keep an eye on the weather no matter what route you take. Be prepared to evade (head farther south) bad weather forcasts. It sound like this is a straight through run with minimal stops. If that is the case and you can really do 700 miles a day (you're a better man than me) the math works out to between 3 and 4 days.

For me, the number of stops, during the day, is dependent on how much liquid I can hold before it becomes a distraction. If it is the same with you, know where the rest areas are and stop when needed. My coach can theoretically, to over 800 miles with one tank of fuel. I need to stop more frequently. If you know where your fuel and rest stops are it will make the trip go much smoother.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
CD

abark
My first question is why not slow down and enjoy the trip and the scenery. I think that realistly you won't average 58MPH. To do that you will probably have to do a lot of 70/80 driving. I personly don't like driving an RV that fast. I don't know anything about your route. Have a good trip.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sure there are many here who know this route much better than I do but this time of year I would stay farther south than OKC,and Memphis. Charlotte and Raleigh have had snow and ice already this winter. Especially with the below normal temps hitting the country this year.

I'm surprised Mapquest takes you from Memphis to Atlanta and not straight across I-40. That would be the shortest route but 40 in eastern TN and western NC is mountainous. Nothing like some western hills but some that aren't nice in bad weather. I know some truckers who don't like 40 in good weather. If you need to go through Atlanta than I would use I-10/20.

If your travel days are flexible, you can watch the weather, plan accordingly and you may be ok with your route but your nights may still be quite cold if your planning to dry camp.

You should be able to find W/M along the way without problem. There are also Fly J etc.

As I said though I'm sure others have much more knowledge of these roads and will chime in.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Microsoft's Mappoint (which usually is more accurate than Mapquest) lays out the trip through I-40 at 2,235.5 miles and does NOT route you through Atlanta.

A more southern route that takes you down to El Paso then Dallas then Atlanta then Charlotte is only 2,254.1 miles. Only 20 miles more and much less threat of bad weather.

Doing a real south route of El Paso then Houston then Mobile then Atlanta then Charlotte is 2,374.6 - 140 miles more than the original route. That 2+ hours of extra driving will probably save you aggravation and time if the weather turns bad.

I did a San Diego to New Orleans trip in January one year and southern NM could still get mighty cold!

Also invest in the book called 'The Next Exit'. It tells you about every Wal-Mart, Flying J, etc. along every interstate in the US.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I second that route. Go through El paso and Dallas. Theres a big temp difference between the routes.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #7

Not to mention that I-40 for ~150 miles - from Little Rock through Memphis - is an absolute zoo.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We just did that trip second week of Dec 08. I-40 to Flagstaff then turn on to 17 down to Phoenix. 4 days, we did not do 700 miles a day more like 450 to 500 except the last day, stopped for the dogs and hubby. However this time of year I would not take that route! We took a chance hoping we would beat the cold, nasty storms that hit. It didn’t happen. It wasn’t the blowing snows through ABQ, NM Mountains and Flagstaff that was so bad. I was the frigid temps we hit in Arkansas (12 degrees with 0 degree wind chill) and the wind gust in Santa Rosa, NM ( there were time I thought we would take off and start flying) there were the kicker!
Take a little more time, hit I-10. Just keep a eye on the weather through Guadalupe pass, in Texas. We have hit snow storms there and they will close the pass. We were stuck on I-20 towards Odessa,Tx because the roads were so bad with snow and ice. It took us 8 hours to go from Van Horn to Odessa.

Our route back from PHX to Raleigh was I-10 to Mobile I-65 to I85 to I40.