Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Phoenix to Yosemite and then the Redwood Forest in Calif trip ideas

Looking to visit these places this year and wondering the best route and time of year so we don't hit snow in the higher elevations going over the mountains.
We know we can head north towards Las Vegas but I have a slight fear of heights and there is one very high bridge near the dam.

Any suggestions on good full hook up campsites near Yosemite or the Red woods would be appreciated.

Not sure what we'll do after the Red wood forest visit but would like to drive into Oregon just not sure what do to there. We love to fish so there must be some great camping places near fishing spots.

Any suggestions?

ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What size is your RV? All roads & campgrounds are not equal

2008 National Pacifica 40D DP, 4 slides, 1 1/2 baths; 2007 Honda Odyssey & 2 Segways
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
Jayco Owners Club
Too bad the new I-11 to Vegas isn't finished yet.
What about I-10 to CA then up the 5*?

*Ever seen that skit on SNL where they poke fun at how they all talk over there and all their freeways?

We haven't made it there yet but plan to very soon. Please let us know what you find in the way of best camping spots.
2008 Jayco Seneca 35GS
2008Seneca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
You might want to indicate which redwood forest (I assumed you were thinking of the coast redwoods...There are also redwood forests in the Sierras from south of Yosemite...Sequoia NP to Foresthill in Placer county. The coast of Oregon has many great parks. Oregon probably has the best state parks in the nation, most with full hookups and reasonably priced.
Dave & Sheryl Rambeau
2011 Itasca Meridian 39'
Rambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
If you plan on using the east entrance to Yosemite be aware that it has never opened any earlier than May 2. The latest opening was July 1.

I live near the southwest entrance. My best guess is that it will be a relatively early opening this year, based upon current snow levels.
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7 4wd crew cab short bed Super Glide hitch Transfer Flow aux. fuel tank in tool box
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #6

We travel to high traffic areas, we try and stick with the shoulder seasons and avoid the summer crowds. It has been so long since we have been to Yosemite (it was the early ‘70’s and we were in our VW “hippie” van) that I wouldn’t be able to recommend one.

If heading north, I would recommend the Avenue of the Giants:

We stayed at the Giant Redwood RV Park, near Myers Flat, CA. It is not a resort, but has full hookups.

The state parks in OR, as in AZ are fantastic! We prefer to travel the Pacific Coastline heading southbound not northbound. It is much easier ( no need to cross traffic) for on and off the 101. Ft Stevens State Park ( near Astoria, OR) is a favorite of ours.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #7
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
What size is your RV? All roads & campgrounds are not equal

Planning on visiting the Redwood forest National Park along the coast and we have a 29' Class C with a toad. Total length around 48'

ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote