Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 932
Pilot/Flying J RV lanes

When traveling with the RV and toad I'm always happy when I wind up at a gas station that has RV lanes. Unless I've been to the station before finding a station with RV lanes has always been by luck.
We're planning a trip from Illinois to Jonesboro TN and then up to Gettysburg and home. The route is planned out and I was using Google maps to find gas stations that would be easy to navigate and ones that might have RV lanes.
In the process I wound up at the Pilot Flying J web site. There store locator has a trip planner and you can narrow your search to only show stations with RV lanes.
I can enter my route and check the box to only show stations with RV lanes. It wipes out probably 90% of the locations but the ones left all have easy in easy out RV lanes.
Life just got easier.

https://www.pilotflyingj.com/store-locator/
__________________

__________________
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15,685
Using Google maps and street view to be sure you can find an accessible station is fine, but I'd also suggest you use Gas Buddy App to find best station prices. I've used Flying J/Pilot, but their prices aren't the best at many exits, even with the 'RV discount' they offer. If diesel, you can use truck islands with no issue, if a gasser, you can usually pull into the pumps or 'scout' using Google or even pulling into a parking spot and walk to the station to be sure you can make it in and out.
__________________

__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: where ever the rv is parked today.
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWJK55 View Post
When traveling with the RV and toad I'm always happy when I wind up at a gas station that has RV lanes. Unless I've been to the station before finding a station with RV lanes has always been by luck.
We're planning a trip from Illinois to Jonesboro TN and then up to Gettysburg and home. The route is planned out and I was using Google maps to find gas stations that would be easy to navigate and ones that might have RV lanes.
In the process I wound up at the Pilot Flying J web site. There store locator has a trip planner and you can narrow your search to only show stations with RV lanes.
I can enter my route and check the box to only show stations with RV lanes. It wipes out probably 90% of the locations but the ones left all have easy in easy out RV lanes.
Life just got easier.

https://www.pilotflyingj.com/store-locator/
I recently discovered those rv lanes at flyingj/pilot. I love them. My rig is gas and trying to navigate around passenger cars and other obstacles (esp when i have the toad hooked up) is the stress i prefer to not have.

I can find cheaper gas a lot of the time but is the two or three or even 5 cents a gallon worth the hassel? If i am pumping 60 gallons saving a full nickel (it is usally maybe a penny or two a gallon difference) is only three dollars. Plus i can fill up water for free, get propane if needed and dump (for a small fee) in one spot, I might have to move forward or backwards a few feet for the propane or to dump but that is it.

I have become a huge fan of that chain since i learned of the rv lanes.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 894
Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Flying J has been our 'go-to' gas stop for nearly as long as we've been RVing...31-years. the convenience of the RV lanes is the primary reason why. i can maneuver to pumps at a 'regular' gas pump if I need to but the convenience of the RV lanes far outweighs saving as much as $2.00 on a fill-up and the $.05 p/g discount with our loyalty card helps mitigate that as well.
__________________
'73,
rich, n9dko

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
affreeman's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hub of the Universe
Posts: 423
Are there Pilots with RV lanes? I've only ever seen them at Flying J's.
__________________
Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
2011 Itasca Sunstar 35F AKA The AdventureMobile
Dragging around a 2013 Ford Edge with a Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar and an RViBrake3
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 4,633
But are you talking about Pilot / J RV lanes for diesel fuel? Are there any RV lanes for regular gas? I'm finding even towing a 26' trailer and only needing gas for my Tundra, it is hard to find a gas pump lane where I can exit after fueling.

Many times it is a outer most lane. I take my place in line, and the the person in front at the gas pumps decides to have breakfast. Or they return to their car and eat their food right there for the next 15 minutes....I had one person who stayed there for 45 minutes. I was in a pickle because I couldn't back up either....

This whole summer I have seen the trend of using the fuel pump as a parking space. Maybe it's our new type of society....
__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
affreeman's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hub of the Universe
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
But are you talking about Pilot / J RV lanes for diesel fuel? Are there any RV lanes for regular gas? I'm finding even towing a 26' trailer and only needing gas for my Tundra, it is hard to find a gas pump lane where I can exit after fueling.

Many times it is a outer most lane. I take my place in line, and the the person in front at the gas pumps decides to have breakfast. Or they return to their car and eat their food right there for the next 15 minutes....I had one person who stayed there for 45 minutes. I was in a pickle because I couldn't back up either....

This whole summer I have seen the trend of using the fuel pump as a parking space. Maybe it's our new type of society....
Some Flying J's have gas RV lanes. There's no overhead cover therefore no height issues, and they're off to one side or the other so you get maximum turning radius. They also usually have water fill (free) and dump (pay).
__________________
Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
2011 Itasca Sunstar 35F AKA The AdventureMobile
Dragging around a 2013 Ford Edge with a Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar and an RViBrake3
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 894
Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
But are you talking about Pilot / J RV lanes for diesel fuel? Are there any RV lanes for regular gas? I'm finding even towing a 26' trailer and only needing gas for my Tundra, it is hard to find a gas pump lane where I can exit after fueling.

Many times it is a outer most lane. I take my place in line, and the the person in front at the gas pumps decides to have breakfast. Or they return to their car and eat their food right there for the next 15 minutes....I had one person who stayed there for 45 minutes. I was in a pickle because I couldn't back up either....

This whole summer I have seen the trend of using the fuel pump as a parking space. Maybe it's our new type of society....
the FJ RV lanes have both gas and diesel and only a very few Pilot plazas have RV lanes.
__________________
'73,
rich, n9dko

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 894
Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Some Flying J's have gas RV lanes. There's no overhead cover therefore no height issues, and they're off to one side or the other so you get maximum turning radius. They also usually have water fill (free) and dump (pay).
not some, most have RV lanes. the one's that don't are usually franchise operations or are not travel plazas (truck stops).
__________________
'73,
rich, n9dko

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
But are you talking about Pilot / J RV lanes for diesel fuel? Are there any RV lanes for regular gas? I'm finding even towing a 26' trailer and only needing gas for my Tundra, it is hard to find a gas pump lane where I can exit after fueling.

Many times it is a outer most lane. I take my place in line, and the the person in front at the gas pumps decides to have breakfast. Or they return to their car and eat their food right there for the next 15 minutes....I had one person who stayed there for 45 minutes. I was in a pickle because I couldn't back up either....

This whole summer I have seen the trend of using the fuel pump as a parking space. Maybe it's our new type of society....
That's because it is their world and the rest of us just exist in it.
__________________
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
lanerd's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Home in warm Sou Calif for the winter.
Posts: 1,390
We use to haul around TT for quite a few years, and finding an adequate gas station was a real hassle; therefore, when we decided we wanted a motor home, I immediately discounted a gasser.

People at gas stations are typically not a friendly bunch and are aways jockeying for position, not to mention they're rude and very nconsiderate. Truck islands however, are easy in, easy out and just as soon as they fill up, they will always pull forward to let the next guy in.
__________________
Ron, Sandie and Lilly
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH 400 ISL | 2011 GMC Terrain SLT-2
Roadmaster All Terrain | US Gear Unified Brake System | Pressure Pro
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Forkyfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
We use to haul around TT for quite a few years, and finding an adequate gas station was a real hassle; therefore, when we decided we wanted a motor home, I immediately discounted a gasser.

People at gas stations are typically not a friendly bunch and are aways jockeying for position, not to mention they're rude and very nconsiderate. Truck islands however, are easy in, easy out and just as soon as they fill up, they will always pull forward to let the next guy in.
So true. One station had to get out and ward off invaders so we could get the rig in the spot. Very few will punch a woman. Lol
__________________
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R
Proud Navy Mom
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: where ever the rv is parked today.
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Some Flying J's have gas RV lanes. There's no overhead cover therefore no height issues, and they're off to one side or the other so you get maximum turning radius. They also usually have water fill (free) and dump (pay).
The three i have seen also have bulk propane located at the rv lanes.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
LucasOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 29
CWJ, consider getting the Allstays app. It will find a dozen types of gas stations along your route. Pilot, Flying J, Loves, on and on. Tapping on the icon along your route will bring up all the info on that station. Invaluable. Of course, the app is also very useful in location camping spots, linking you to reviews, prices, etc.
__________________

__________________
LucasOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV lanes or truck lanes for fuel - what do you use? Sandy Swede Class A Motorhome Discussions 33 06-02-2017 12:47 AM
Diesel truck lanes at Pilot Moonrover Full-Timers 40 10-15-2013 08:22 AM
Flying J Truck Lanes Our Time Class A Motorhome Discussions 38 12-27-2010 11:29 PM
Flying J bought out by Pilot diandtom Just Conversation 33 12-21-2009 01:30 PM
Flying J RV lanes? RedGuy iRV2.com General Discussion 37 03-28-2009 11:04 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.