Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #1

Pilot/Flying J RV lanes

When traveling with the RV and toad I'm always happy when I wind up at a gas station that has RV lanes. Unless I've been to the station before finding a station with RV lanes has always been by luck.
We're planning a trip from Illinois to Jonesboro TN and then up to Gettysburg and home. The route is planned out and I was using Google maps to find gas stations that would be easy to navigate and ones that might have RV lanes.
In the process I wound up at the Pilot Flying J web site. There store locator has a trip planner and you can narrow your search to only show stations with RV lanes.
I can enter my route and check the box to only show stations with RV lanes. It wipes out probably 90% of the locations but the ones left all have easy in easy out RV lanes.
Life just got easier.

https://www.pilotflyingj.com/store-locator/
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Using Google maps and street view to be sure you can find an accessible station is fine, but I'd also suggest you use Gas Buddy App to find best station prices. I've used Flying J/Pilot, but their prices aren't the best at many exits, even with the 'RV discount' they offer. If diesel, you can use truck islands with no issue, if a gasser, you can usually pull into the pumps or 'scout' using Google or even pulling into a parking spot and walk to the station to be sure you can make it in and out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWJK55 View Post
When traveling with the RV and toad I'm always happy when I wind up at a gas station that has RV lanes. Unless I've been to the station before finding a station with RV lanes has always been by luck.
We're planning a trip from Illinois to Jonesboro TN and then up to Gettysburg and home. The route is planned out and I was using Google maps to find gas stations that would be easy to navigate and ones that might have RV lanes.
In the process I wound up at the Pilot Flying J web site. There store locator has a trip planner and you can narrow your search to only show stations with RV lanes.
I can enter my route and check the box to only show stations with RV lanes. It wipes out probably 90% of the locations but the ones left all have easy in easy out RV lanes.
Life just got easier.

https://www.pilotflyingj.com/store-locator/
I recently discovered those rv lanes at flyingj/pilot. I love them. My rig is gas and trying to navigate around passenger cars and other obstacles (esp when i have the toad hooked up) is the stress i prefer to not have.

I can find cheaper gas a lot of the time but is the two or three or even 5 cents a gallon worth the hassel? If i am pumping 60 gallons saving a full nickel (it is usally maybe a penny or two a gallon difference) is only three dollars. Plus i can fill up water for free, get propane if needed and dump (for a small fee) in one spot, I might have to move forward or backwards a few feet for the propane or to dump but that is it.

I have become a huge fan of that chain since i learned of the rv lanes.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #4

Flying J has been our 'go-to' gas stop for nearly as long as we've been RVing...31-years. the convenience of the RV lanes is the primary reason why. i can maneuver to pumps at a 'regular' gas pump if I need to but the convenience of the RV lanes far outweighs saving as much as $2.00 on a fill-up and the $.05 p/g discount with our loyalty card helps mitigate that as well.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Are there Pilots with RV lanes? I've only ever seen them at Flying J's.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
But are you talking about Pilot / J RV lanes for diesel fuel? Are there any RV lanes for regular gas? I'm finding even towing a 26' trailer and only needing gas for my Tundra, it is hard to find a gas pump lane where I can exit after fueling.

Many times it is a outer most lane. I take my place in line, and the the person in front at the gas pumps decides to have breakfast. Or they return to their car and eat their food right there for the next 15 minutes....I had one person who stayed there for 45 minutes. I was in a pickle because I couldn't back up either....

This whole summer I have seen the trend of using the fuel pump as a parking space. Maybe it's our new type of society....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
But are you talking about Pilot / J RV lanes for diesel fuel? Are there any RV lanes for regular gas? I'm finding even towing a 26' trailer and only needing gas for my Tundra, it is hard to find a gas pump lane where I can exit after fueling.

Many times it is a outer most lane. I take my place in line, and the the person in front at the gas pumps decides to have breakfast. Or they return to their car and eat their food right there for the next 15 minutes....I had one person who stayed there for 45 minutes. I was in a pickle because I couldn't back up either....

This whole summer I have seen the trend of using the fuel pump as a parking space. Maybe it's our new type of society....
Some Flying J's have gas RV lanes. There's no overhead cover therefore no height issues, and they're off to one side or the other so you get maximum turning radius. They also usually have water fill (free) and dump (pay).
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:

the FJ RV lanes have both gas and diesel and only a very few Pilot plazas have RV lanes.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
Some Flying J's have gas RV lanes. There's no overhead cover therefore no height issues, and they're off to one side or the other so you get maximum turning radius. They also usually have water fill (free) and dump (pay).
not some, most have RV lanes. the one's that don't are usually franchise operations or are not travel plazas (truck stops).
Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:

That's because it is their world and the rest of us just exist in it.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We use to haul around TT for quite a few years, and finding an adequate gas station was a real hassle; therefore, when we decided we wanted a motor home, I immediately discounted a gasser.

People at gas stations are typically not a friendly bunch and are aways jockeying for position, not to mention they're rude and very nconsiderate. Truck islands however, are easy in, easy out and just as soon as they fill up, they will always pull forward to let the next guy in.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
We use to haul around TT for quite a few years, and finding an adequate gas station was a real hassle; therefore, when we decided we wanted a motor home, I immediately discounted a gasser.

People at gas stations are typically not a friendly bunch and are aways jockeying for position, not to mention they're rude and very nconsiderate. Truck islands however, are easy in, easy out and just as soon as they fill up, they will always pull forward to let the next guy in.
So true. One station had to get out and ward off invaders so we could get the rig in the spot. Very few will punch a woman. Lol
Old 09-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
The three i have seen also have bulk propane located at the rv lanes.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #14

CWJ, consider getting the Allstays app. It will find a dozen types of gas stations along your route. Pilot, Flying J, Loves, on and on. Tapping on the icon along your route will bring up all the info on that station. Invaluable. Of course, the app is also very useful in location camping spots, linking you to reviews, prices, etc.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote