Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Pine Mountain ,Ga

Has anyone traveled from I 85 exit 34 Georgia Hwy 18 to Pine Mountain, Ga. We are trying to go to callaway gardens around the 15th of December. Any information would be appreciated. We have a 44' Coach towing a Ram 1500 pickup.

2013 Holiday Rambler 43 DFT-405 HP MaxxForce International-Dodge 1500 pickup w/US Gear Tow Brake
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Appalachian Campers
You're not going to have any issues, the road into Pine Mountain is good. Once into Pine Mountain it's a residential width road through town but it's nice and relatively straight so you'll be fine, once through town the road widens out approaching the big intersection where you turn for either Callaway or FDR State Park.

Once you drop the 1500 off go back to that road though town, continue south until you get to the intersection of hwy 190. There's a great restaurant there with the best view in the area.

2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
A few years ago (2009) we stayed at FDR State Park close to Callaway @ $28 per night. I don't think they have any full hookups but they do have 50 amp and dump station and very reasonable prices.

Dec. 11-14 we will be at Pine Mountain RV Park @ $45 per night. Never been there before but they have 50 amp and full hookups. Going with a group and someone else made the arrangements. I haven't looked at the reviews.
Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hwy 18 is a decent road all the way to Pine Mountain. I've driven that route several times in my toad and I would not hesitate to take my MH on that route.
David, Judy, Gracie (the dog) and Waldo (the parrot)
2013 HR Endeavor 43DFT, 2014 Ford Flex
FMCA 409059
David49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would go on down I-85 to I-185 and take US 27 into Pine mountain. May be a little longer but would be much quicker.

Don't know where you are staying, but US 27 takes you right by Pine Mtn RV resort or on down the road a few miles is the turn off for FDR and the entrance to Callaway.

As stated before, yes try the Old country store restaurant at the top of the hill. Also the restaurant at the hotel in Callaway or the farmhouse restaurant is good although pricy.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Thanks everyone for the good information. We now have to wait until after 3 December an the Dr visit to see if he releases her from her broken foot. It has been 7 week since surgery and according to him she should be healed but due to our age it may take longer to heal. Hope the man upstairs is on our side and she is all healed up.
2013 Holiday Rambler 43 DFT-405 HP MaxxForce International-Dodge 1500 pickup w/US Gear Tow Brake
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Hi Harry,

We are at Pine Mountain now, and you will not have any problems at all on GA 18.... we stay at the FDR state Park for our visits, and have been pleased every trip. If you do decide to try FDR, remember that you reserve a type of camping spot, not a particular camping spot... ie: you can not reserve camping spot number 520. If you do decide to stay at FDR, there are some very nice drive thru spots in Area 5 that are 50 amp.... look at the post with the spot number... it will have a wide yellow strip with a narrow blue stripe below it. This designates a spot that is for larger units and is 50 amp service. FDR does not have sewer connections, but has dump stations and there are gray water dumps located near many of the campsites. Site 520 is a nice back in with 50 amp and 530 is a real nice drive thru with 50 amp.

As for Callaway Gardens and the Fantasy in Lights... if coming on a weekend, I recommend that you call ahead and purchase tickets to the show time that you want.... they do get busy, and have a certain number of vehicles per hour. Also.... do not try the food vendors inside the F in L.... pretty rough...LOL. We highly recommend the Callaway General Store, just down the road from the F in L entrance to Callaway.... good country style cooking. Crickets is over rated ... and the Bulloch House in Warm Springs is not a bad buffet if you plan to visit FDR's Little White House while in the area.

A bit of advice on fuel.... Alabama and Georgia are a bit more expensive than Mississippi and Louisiana....

Best wishes... hope you get to make the trip, it is worth the effort. Safe travels.

John (Rusty) & Jessica + Sarge $ Rufus
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3953
2014 Honda CRV
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote