RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #1

Planning Summer 2019

I have read some other posts about cross country trips but they dont match exactly what I am considering. I want to know if anyone has traveled Florida to Grand Tetons then down the West Coast and back home to Florida. I plan to use the enitre summer from June 10th-August 1st. So we have time...I think. I have never traveled beyond Virginia and Michigan. The only reason my kids and I took on full time RV living is to prep for this trip, to see the west coast specifically national parks and then possibly more.

My rig gets maybe 8 or 9 miles to the gallon. Im looking for best route, previous personal experiences, and overall cost. Assuming the climate up NorthWest is conducive to not requiring an AC as much...I am open to boondocking some. We do have a generator and the basic capablilities of dry camping. Looking to keep it as affordable as possible.

I have Passport America.
I dont think I will have a TOAD. Possibly a golf cart and some kayaks and bikes.

Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #2

Forget the golf cart. Unless you stay in the big resorts there's no place to use one. Towing a car would be much better for visiting national parks.

Basically, the route is up to you depending on what you want to see. You can take interstate and not see anything but billboards or you can take secondary roads. From Grand Teton Nat'l Park are you going to work in Yellowstone and Glacier? If so, take Hwy 2 west from Glacier to the Seattle area and work your way around the Olympic Peninsula and down Hwy 101.

Cost? That's an individual thing. Figure a daily cost and multiply it by 60. Add some for special events. RV parks and campgrounds vary greatly in cost. Your fuel consumption is about average for RVs.

Just GO.... and have a great trip!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A guess, not knowing your route but I would guess around 15,000 miles in 2 1/2 months is about 200 miles a day. If you stop for one day, then next day you need to drive 400 miles, etc so when are you going to sight see? I think it is too ambitious. In many parks and scenic areas you may only average 40 mph, not 60.
When we travel for 6 months our daily average is about 30 miles per day. Yes, we sit still for days!
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

We've done tons of extended trips without a toad for over 14 years quite easily. For major built up city areas or to go further a field exploring nearby, we've rented very rarely a car for a day or three (think LA, San Fran, LV). Latest trip we used Uber combined with lots of walking for LV & San Fran with cousin visiting from Ireland. Why don't you post your whole itinerary of what you are wanting to stop at and see enroute, and others will chime in with some other ideas or "have you considered" stops etc.

When we were in work mode (1990's and first 2000's decade), we've done Alberta to Florida and back in 7 to 9 weeks, but alas today we would take much longer. FWIW: Typically we'd get the first evening/late into the night under our belts clocking up the mileage/distance and often the same on the first full day, then we'd slow down to explore things that were getting further afield from home base. What are your must see and do's intention on this trip?

You'll have a blast no doubt
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #5

We may do scooters 150cc instead of golf cart but I really dont feel comfortable with my toad going that far. Im a solo woman with no experience taking on a full remodel of a 30 year old rig...one step at a time. My only real goal is mountains...big sky...real country. My kids and I have lived in Florida most our lives and while I have seen much of the east coast...none of us have seen the west coast. I know the Tetons are gorgeous. I dont plan on taking my time getting there. I plan on getting there amd then taking my time. I dont have to work my way down the west coast but I would like to hit Yellowstone and some of Arizona possibly.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #6

Just returned from your trip last Thursday. Did 7945mi cross country and back from Southern NJ. We used interstates to get out there and then two lanes were possible thru the western states. Started off with the Badlands, then Rushmore on down to Jackson(Jackson Hole, WY) and Grand Teton NP. Stayed in Gros Vaunt(probably mispelled) right outside of Jackson. Park is no hookups but beautiful. Had dump sta and water and allows generator till 10pm. Then went in the southern entrance of Yellowstone and worked our way up to the west entrance and stayed in Idaho. Came back in the west entrance and then did the northern loop back to the western entrance. Departed northbound along 89/289 WY up to pick up Int. 90 to Seattle. Did Glacier a few years ago so bypassed it. Stayed outside Seattle at State park near town of Capital Way and took bus into Seattle. Great bus transportation. Did the On/Off bus in Seattle and got off at various stops. Then headed down to Portland and boondocked in Cousins driveway. There are beautiful State Parks around Portland. Again great Busses. Then went accross the Cascades and down the 101 along the Oregon coast. Lots of great state parks but most are first come so you need to get there early in the afternoon to get a spot. Stayed in Newport and Cape Blanco SP. Then worked our way down the coast to San Francisco. Went through the Redwoods forest but couldn't stay because of size restrictions, our unit is 32 ft and I think it is limited to 28 ft. Most expensive cg of the trip was outside San Fran, Marin Rv Park, but it is located 10 min walk to the Larkspur Ferry which takes you to the ferry terminal on fishermans wharf. You can get tour busses, again on/off bus for tour of city. Lots of other options. BTW in Seattle don't miss Pike Market, really interesting. From SF we went to Sacramento to visit friends and then to Napa and the wineries. Then over the mountains to Reno, NV then on to Salt Lake city then down to Cheyenne,WY. Here we stopped at the Terri Bison Ranch on Int 25 just before entering Colorado north of Denver. Terri Ranch has a little train that goes into the Bison fields where you can feed the Bison. We loved it and it was one of our favorite stops. BTW we did not tow a vehicle. We would find local busses or in one case, Marin RV in Greenbrea,CA, we used Uber to go to dinner in Sausalito,CA. $11 each way, cheaper than car rental. If you plan it out as to what you want to see you can have lots of options. We would boondock a few nights and then use a campground for dumping and reorganizing. We were gone about 6 weeks.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrum81 View Post
We may do scooters 150cc instead of golf cart but I really don't feel comfortable with my toad going that far.

Im a solo woman with no experience taking on a full remodel of a 30 year old rig...one step at a time.

My only real goal is mountains...big sky...real country.

My kids and I have lived in Florida most our lives and while I have seen much of the east coast...none of us have seen the

west coast.

I know the Tetons are gorgeous.

I dont plan on taking my time getting there.

I plan on getting there and then taking my time.

I don't have to work my way down the west coast but I would like to hit Yellowstone and some of Arizona possibly.
Well have to get into this.

20 summers of RV road trip travels across the USA and Canada | Lolo's Extreme Cross Country RV Trips

Stan Parker's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Give us a little more info,

when

where

dislike

hiker

photographer

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrum81 View Post
I want to know if anyone has traveled Florida to Grand Tetons

then down the West Coast and back home to Florida.

I plan to use the entire summer from

June 10th-August 1st.

So we have time...I think.

I have never traveled beyond Virginia and Michigan.

The only reason my kids and I took on full time RV living is to prep for this trip, to see the

west coast specifically national parks and then possibly more.

My rig gets maybe 8 or 9 miles to the gallon.

Im looking for best route,

previous personal experiences, and overall cost.

Assuming the climate up NorthWest is

conducive to not requiring an AC as much...

I am open to boondocking some.

We do have a generator and the basic capabilities of dry camping.

Looking to keep it as affordable as possible.

I have Passport America.

I don't think I will have a TOAD.

Possibly a golf cart and some kayaks and bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

20 summers of RV road trip travels across the USA and Canada | Lolo's Extreme Cross Country RV Trips

when - June 10 - August 1

where - West - Rockies - National Parks - Pacific Coast - Basically West of the Mississippi -

likes - Appears the Rockies and National Parks

dislike - Hot and Expensive

hiker - Kids maybe

photographer - Sure hope so

Couple of quick notes - It's a Big Country and while 6-7 weeks may be a long time/trip it will only allow you to see not enjoy the America you are after. JMHO - so a few things pop out at me

Your RV is 30 years old, and yes it can do this trip, but it also could leave you high and dry,

So you just need to be smart as you plan this - Avoid Long HOT drives - this can strain the drivetrain on the RV, think of it as if it were a GrandParent - strong and sturdy but in need of some TLC if you want it to make it till the end.

Let's get to the Rockies First - Elevation and Boondocking are available to keep cost down - but you are now in the Rockies so Real Hills both Up and Down are the challenge.

A strong Motor and Even Stronger, Better BRAKES are Needed and good driving habits will be necessary. So before you depart it will be necessary to be sure these are in good working order.

Now if the plan is to just See each of these sites then let's set just One or two days to each then usually 1/2 a day to get to each.

Now start to Identify your stops - then do the Math - not all that difficult - add in the drive out and Back - somewhere between 7,000 and 10,000 miles at 400 miles max per day but more likely 300 and so I'll compromise and call it 25 days of Just driving - leaving you with something in the Neighborhood of 10 -15 National parks to visit with only a day for each.

Think you see where I'm going.

Read through this and see if I if you are possibly available to reconsider the Scope of your dream - My Suggestion is to head to southern Colorado then head up towards Yellowstone and All the way to Glacier NP then Head back south catching the heat of Utah and then Back Home.

Let us Know and we can help out

Short list of sites to visit;

Great Sand Dunes NP
Browns Canyon NM- includes Buena Vista and the Collegiates
RMNP
Snowy Range
Wind River - Cody
Yellowstone - Beartooth - West Yellowstone/Madison River
Tetons NP
Glacier NP
Going to the Sun Road
SLC
Flaming Gorge
Dinosaur NM
Moab
Arches NP
Canyonlands NP
Capital Reef NP
Bryce NP
North Rim NP
Page/Lake Powell/Slot Canyons
Monument Valley
Mesa Verde NP
Canyon De Chelly NM
Carlsbad Caverns NP
White Sands
Big Bend

Think we have more than you can see in the time allowed and we have not included even One State Park of which Many should not be Missed.

Think through and get back to us.

With any luck we can help with something that might just work.

Best of Luck,

Edit; if you like the Tetons you will Love Maroon Bells and Ouray

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.FbhseDJLfjM

https://www.google.com/search?q=oura...w=1396&bih=692

-
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #9

Be sure to get a copy of Mountain Directory.

Buy CoachNet coach-net.com roadside assistance coverage so a huge towing bill doesn't bring everything to a stop and perhaps strand you right where you are. Your insurance company's coverage isn't remotely sufficient.

Buy a tpms.

Don't push that old beast too hard in hot weather.

Personally I think your itenarary is way too ambitious and about all you'll see is the highway.
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:

Im applying for Montana Parks as a camp host.

when summer...now I thinking memorial day to labor day

where...anywhere but Florida...mainly west coast to north west.

likes...hiking, kayaking, site seeing but I don't need to necessarily see all the tourist stuff. I want to see peaceful nature.

dislike none

hiker yep

photographer ohhh yes who isn't?

I filled in the blanks above
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Couple of quick notes - It's a Big Country and while 6-7 weeks may be a long time/trip it will only allow you to see not enjoy the America you are after. JMHO - so a few things pop out at me

Your RV is 30 years old, and yes it can do this trip, but it also could leave you high and dry,

So you just need to be smart as you plan this - Avoid Long HOT drives - this can strain the drivetrain on the RV, think of it as if it were a GrandParent - strong and sturdy but in need of some TLC if you want it to make it till the end.

Let's get to the Rockies First - Elevation and Boondocking are available to keep cost down - but you are now in the Rockies so Real Hills both Up and Down are the challenge.

A strong Motor and Even Stronger, Better BRAKES are Needed and good driving habits will be necessary. So before you depart it will be necessary to be sure these are in good working order.

Now if the plan is to just See each of these sites then let's set just One or two days to each then usually 1/2 a day to get to each.

Now start to Identify your stops - then do the Math - not all that difficult - add in the drive out and Back - somewhere between 7,000 and 10,000 miles at 400 miles max per day but more likely 300 and so I'll compromise and call it 25 days of Just driving - leaving you with something in the Neighborhood of 10 -15 National parks to visit with only a day for each.

Think you see where I'm going.

Read through this and see if I if you are possibly available to reconsider the Scope of your dream - My Suggestion is to head to southern Colorado then head up towards Yellowstone and All the way to Glacier NP then Head back south catching the heat of Utah and then Back Home.

Let us Know and we can help out

Short list of sites to visit;

Great Sand Dunes NP
Browns Canyon NM- includes Buena Vista and the Collegiates
RMNP
Snowy Range
Wind River - Cody
Yellowstone - Beartooth - West Yellowstone/Madison River
Tetons NP
Glacier NP
Going to the Sun Road
SLC
Flaming Gorge
Dinosaur NM
Moab
Arches NP
Canyonlands NP
Capital Reef NP
Bryce NP
North Rim NP
Page/Lake Powell/Slot Canyons
Monument Valley
Mesa Verde NP
Canyon De Chelly NM
Carlsbad Caverns NP
White Sands
Big Bend

Think we have more than you can see in the time allowed and we have not included even One State Park of which Many should not be Missed.

Think through and get back to us.

With any luck we can help with something that might just work.

Best of Luck,

Edit; if you like the Tetons you will Love Maroon Bells and Ouray

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.FbhseDJLfjM

https://www.google.com/search?q=oura...w=1396&bih=692

-
Thank you for the information and honest response. I've been thinking a lot about this. My rig is in great condition. When I bought it in June I put it in the shop and replaced anything wrong with it. Has brand new batteries and tires with a spare. New alternator because that went out and entirely new power steering system. Everything else looked great. Low millage but yes she's old. I understand what you're saying. Before the trip this summer I plan to put her back in the shop for basic maintenance and pre trip check.

Im starting to seriously consider taking time off from teaching to allow for more time to accomplish this trip. I think if I plan well I can stretch my funds to cover more time and combine that with being a camp host or paid camp gigs.
I could finish this school year out with 10,000 saved maybe more but at least that.