Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #1

Planning tools?

Hi, we are new to iRV2, and new to trailer travel. We are going from the SF Bay Area to upstate New York. I'm looking for tools that will help me plot a route traveling about 300 miles per day. Thanks in advance for help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Here is one I use. www.rvtripwizard.com

Old 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudip View Post
Hi, we are new to iRV2, and new to trailer travel. We are going from the SF Bay Area to upstate New York. I'm looking for tools that will help me plot a route traveling about 300 miles per day. Thanks in advance for help.
Hudip
Planning is fine but to me it is to confining, (and to much like work)!
For ten years we have been "winging it".

We travel, (anywhere from coast to coast and boarder to boarder), for 3-4 months each year.

We drive when we want to, as far as we want... eat where and when we want....stop and sleep when and where we want.... whenever we want to....with no planing, advance reservations, set miles/distance, or time schedule.

When I was working, that was our "dream".
Now that I am retired, we're living "the dream"!

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (105k mine)
Old 09-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #5

Thanks Mel, I've considered zero planning, and will probably do a little of both.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

Hudip ..

I generally use Streets and Trips to get an overall view of where I want to go ...

I start out with BEGIN to DESTINATION ... and save that route looking at the total mileage.

then I start inserting (and/or deleting) intermediate points that sound interesting that are on "slightly different" route ... maybe do two or three of those (probably 6 for the distance you are travelling) ... this gives me some ideas of various routes ... we try to travel no more than 1/2 of each day on interstates if possible.

Then I get out Mountain West directory and look at the grades along the various routes ...

I only make RV park reservations more than a day ahead of time (usually about noon the same day) EXCEPT on holiday weekends or near large festivals ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

Unless you plan to travel with web access, your best choice is one of the free standing navigators. CoPilot, Streets & Trips and Street Atlas are all good, but the best thing to do is borrow a copy. If you learn to use it, any of these will do most of what you need.

I outgrew S&T long ago and only use SA, but any will work until you find out what it won't do, then go the Laptop GPS and ask what will do what you want.

Matt
Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudip View Post
Welcome to IRV2. I recently purchased a Garmin RV760LMT and learned that you can go to Map Quest, plan a trip and upload it to the Garmin GPS. Works great and the current version of MQ offers a lot of planning capability.

Dennis
Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #9

all the above plus google earth and rvparkreview.com
Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #10

Hudip; Like others, we also use Microsoft Streets and Trips for planning, although for many years in times past, we actually navigated with MS&T on a laptop along with their GPS receiver. As a GPS navigator, it is totally useless, and a big !! But it's still a great utility for trip planning.

For actual navigation we have one of those expensive Garmin Nuvi 50s, that we got on sale a couple years ago for $120. We continue to be impressed with the performance of this unit; not only with respect to accurate navigation, but vast POI library that provides you with just about every kind of local data imaginable.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All of the above will be of great help. But you might want to add a membership to Passport America. Most of the GPS and software programs will have POIs for the camp grounds. On a trip like yours it won't take time to come out way ahead!

And Welcome
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #12

For cross country trips we roll out a large US map. Look at the destination and consider different routes, cities, national & state parks. We rough out a route with dry markers including proposed stop overs and locations to visit. Then add it to streets and trips on our laptop which provides mileages. If mileage is a bit long we simply change the day end location. That said we often deviate from the proposed route. Using a large US map helps us because it allows a nice visual of areas side trips we may want to visit. For day to day travel along the way we use GPS. I have two, a garmin and a rand McNally. Quite surprising how often they suggest different routes to the same location.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #13

Thanks to a great community

Many thanks to all who posted suggestions - including not planning! I'm sure ill use some of your ideas, but more importantly, you have made me see that I've joined a generous, knowledgeable community.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are a good Sam member, they have a trip routing page on their website. It's not as full-featured as Streets and Trips but it works well. You can chose destinations and add stops along the way. Campgrounds and some POIs are also included. When you are done you can upload the trip into the Good Sam version of the Rand McNally gps or just print it out.