Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

Planning Trip Michigan to Smokey Mountains

Hi everyone,

I have a question. We are planning a trip from Michigan to the Smoky Mountains and we would like to stop and visit Grandfather Mountain and Chimney Rock State Park. My question is this, are the roads around these two stops safe to be driving a 40 ft. motorhome towing a motorcycle trailer? I'm hoping someone has done this and can tell us that it isn't a problem so we don't end up somewhere we don't want to be with our motorhome and trailer. Thanks so much.
tonka96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure how big your rig is, but the main road to Chimney Rock is twisty, busy, narrow, and NOT a truck route. You might want to pick a “big rig friendly” campground nearer to Asheville and make day trips from there. Hope that helps!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #3

I agree with previous post and would camp in Asheville and use a toad to see chimney rock and grandfather mountain. Taking the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville is a nice day trip and you can hit Grandfather Mountain and Mt Mitchell within same day. If your looking to do lots of hiking choose one but we were able to do both same day and also another waterfall hike off blue ridge.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #4

I highly recommend you purchase the Mountain directory East - I have found many roads in that area that the guide recommends not using (I have a 40 ft rig too) - you can get iPad versions of the book also.

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:56 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
A very nice campground not far from Asheville and closer to Smokey Mountain National Park is Cross Creek RV Park in Maggie Valley. We stayed there this last year for the month of May.

Campground, Cross Creek RV Park Maggie Valley, NC Home
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #6

Thanks so much everyone for your help. I did order the directory about the roads. Ordered for both East and West as we are taking a trip from Michigan to the Redwoods in September. Thanks again. Safe travels to all of you.
tonka96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
GREAT COE parks in Sevierville just down the road from the park entrance.....

We stayed in both - one by the dam upstream and the other below the damn downstream.....

Both GREAT!!!! And very reasonably priced...., We stayed almost 2 weeks....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Will admit tho - we were totally disappointed with the NP..... really not that much too it to be honest.... oh, it’s a pretty enough place but way to crowed and totally too touristy for us.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote