Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Planning trip to Glacier National Park

Hello All,

Just started planning this years trip and am looking at Glacier National Park (US) sometime close to July 4th. Plan on being there a week or so and then down to Yellowstone and the Grand Teton National Parks.

I'm looking for any information about where to camp in a 39' MH.

Have started a search, but thought I would ask here because of this forum's wealth of knowledge.

Thank You
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrvers View Post
Hello All,

Just started planning this years trip and am looking at Glacier National Park (US) sometime close to July 4th. Plan on being there a week or so and then down to Yellowstone and the Grand Teton National Parks.

I'm looking for any information about where to camp in a 39' MH.

Have started a search, but thought I would ask here because of this forum's wealth of knowledge.

Thank You

Tom and Barb

2000 Bounder 39Z

We stayed at Columbia Falls RV Resort and would again. On the west side of Glacier.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I always stay on the east side of Glacier NP. The east side is very rural. The KOA at St. Mary is for me go to St Mary, Montana Campground | St. Mary / East Glacier KOA for details. The CG is close to the park entry points and east side hiking trails. Great views from the CG.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Columbia Falls gets another thumbs up from us.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Tom & Barb,

OK, I’ll be right up front with you. I grew up in Choteau, Montana. I moved away when I went to college and have been back many, many summers since. Although I did visit a few times in the winter, since my college education, I haven’t made a habit of that. I still remember -54 degrees F…ambient…not wind chill. We were told that our spit would freeze before it hit the ground; I never slowed down long enough to check that while I was walking to school.

So, there is a really nice little town between Glacier and Yellowstone (Choteau) that has a quintessential 4th of July celebration. Lots of “Americana” type of activities…parade, rodeo, fireworks.

Now, before you write me off as some “kook” from Montana, know that others have found this “Last, Best Place” (google that). The recently retired host of “The Late Show” on CBS has a little place (about 25,000 acres) west of Choteau and enjoys the local festivities. In fact (NOT a guarantee for 2016), a local “benefactor” has sponsored free concerts in Choteau. Many of the groups have appeared on Dave Letterman’s show. It’s been a few years since Willie Nelson performed in Choteau (FREE for the locals). You might find this an interesting interview: Part II talks a little more about Choteau:

BTW, I'm NOT a huge Dave Letterman fan. But, many of the locals have accepted him as just a guy who has a big ranch west of town.

So, if your schedule allows a visit in Choteau, MT on the 4th of July, you’ll enjoy it. Fun stuff to do and lots of nice folks. I’ll be there (yeah, I know you’re pretty excited about that). IF it turns out you’re putting that on your schedule, let me know and I can hook you up for some good seats at the rodeo. There’s a nice little campground in town (http://www.campchoteaumt.com/). No, I don’t have any business interest…Jill and Darrell are just very gracious hosts.

Regarding Glacier, be SURE to put a Red Bus Tour (http://www.glaciernationalparklodges.com/red-bus-tours) on your list of things to do. Again, I’ve got no business connection…it’s just a great way to see the Going To The Sun Highway.

It truly is a spectacular area, even after the fires last summer.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies and 777 Driver thanks for your narrative and reminder of just how cold northern Montana can get in the winter.

Spent a little time in Kalispell back in 1972 and vividly remember having to use an open "phone both", don't recall which was colder the minus ^&*@# temperature being blown at 40 MPH down my jacket collar or the "ice cube" of a phone receiver I had to place on my ear (best reason for invention of the cell phone I can think of). As for the 4th we just thought we would hang out around Columbia Falls, but will take your recommendation about Choteau to heart.

Thanks Again.
Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I always stay on the east side of Glacier NP. The east side is very rural. The KOA at St. Mary is for me go to St Mary, Montana Campground | St. Mary / East Glacier KOA for details. The CG is close to the park entry points and east side hiking trails. Great views from the CG.
This is where we stayed when we visited Glacier. We also took a day trip up into Canada to Waterton NP. Well worth the trip.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've stayed near Hungry Horse at Mountain Meadow (http://mountainmeadowrv.com/rv-sites/). Very pretty and their sites are a little farther apart than many west side campgrounds. Very much in the trees (read that NO satellite TV).

Oh, did I mention that Flint Rasmussen is from Choteau?

Seriously, enjoy your time in Montana.

Take care,
Stu
Old 01-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #9

When I was there back in 09 we spent a few nights on the west side which gave us easy access to trails etc on that side of the park. Then we spent a few nights on the east side I believe at the st Mary Koa.

Both have their good/bad, camping area was nicer on the west side of the park. I can't recall where we stayed possibly another Koa, they had really good fish at their restaurant.

Depending on your route to and from the park I would suggest doing what we did. We came up from Yellowstone and spent time at west glacier first. Our last few days we were on the east side which gave us easy access to the park in Canada.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
x3 on Columbia Falls RV park, grreat location. Other than the road to the sun,
really not much to see at Glacier Park, IMO. Hungry Horse is great town if you are
there on the 4th of July.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
Other than the road to the sun,
really not much to see at Glacier Park, IMO.
I guess it depends on what you do in the park, for me that couldn't be farther from the truth. Yes going to the sun road is nice however there are numerous excellent hiking trails all over the park. Also gravel roads that take you to places like bowman lake campground.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We stayed at Columbia Falls RV this past summer for three weeks and loved it. It is close to restaurants and grocery stores. Closer to the West Gate there is a KOA which also was nice, (however, we didn't stay there.)It is a bit of a drive if you need groceries though.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #13

Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons

Took this exact trip last year in early Aug. Stayed in Kalispell at Spruce Pine on the river. Not a fancy place, and it is under new ownership, but convenient and easy to use. We have an W/Itasca Spirit, 29' and pull a 14' trailer with toys.
Rode the bike over the GTS highway and back. Gorgeous. Easy travel, and I like being able to stop and look when you want to.
Camped at Northwest end of YSNP in Gardiner, MT at Rocky Mtn. RV Park. Super convenient and beautiful scenery. Spent 4 days, not enough.
Tetons were smoky, unfortunately, due to the fires. Enjoyed the stay, but will return for better views and air (cough, cough).
Stayed at the Virginian Lodge CG in Jackson Hole.
Best wishes for a great trip. I can't wait to go back out. If you can, fit a trip on the Beartooth Hwy. into your trip and also the Rocky Mtn. Parkway, Hwy 34, Granby, CO to Estes Park, CO. Breathtaking.
goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national