Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2005, 06:32 AM   #15

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Str8Shooter:
camper1b,

I took a look at your schedule, and came to the conclusion that you have rolled 2 trips into one- a Rocky Mountain trip and a west coast trip. I wonder if you have left any vacation in there for you. You are going to be one busy Dad with that schedule. Especially pulling a trailer. Been there, done that with my 5th wheel. Will not do such an aggressive schedule again. Perhaps you would consider a modified schedule similar to my suggestion below.

Please do not take this as a critique of your plans, only another look and possible suggestion for a somewhat more relaxed pace.

Whatever you do, it will be an adventure! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For brevity, I removed your excellent itinerary suggestions and I really appreciate the time and thought. We will consider them when we sit down and fully work out the trip details. My take is that the trip will still end up being very similar to what we have already planned for several reasons....

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>I am a driving fool when it comes to long trips. I have driven 14-16 hour days when necessary. However, I realize it will be very tiring and I'll be ready for my bed when we finally get home.
<LI>We will only make this trip once with both kids. We can go back to certain areas we want to spend more time in on future trips. This trip is meant to just get a taste for certain areas of the west.
<LI>We've never been to my brother's house in Phoenix and he's been to ours here in New York several times. This is probably the only way we could afford visiting him at his house. And frankly, a day or two down time in his pool and doing laundry wouldn't be a bad use of that time.
<LI>I plan on making very few reservations. That way, if I am totally whacked on this crazy itinerary, we can modify it on the fly and still have a most memorable trip.
<LI>I did a very similar trip (granted, I was 20 at the time) back in '74 using only a tent and a '64 Pontiac Tempest. We did 9,700 miles in 4 weeks.[/list]Again, thanks again for your comments. They will certainly be considered.

camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #16

I did this trip in 203 in reverse. here is my tips for a long trip with kids. 1St day leave very early, 2-3am. This gets you out of the east coast congestion before anyone else wakes up. Kids sleep a while so pleny of uninterupped travel. Drink only bottled water (ice to). Kids stomachs are really sensitive. H2O at walmart is only $.58 a gallon. A day of diareha or worse will ruin your schedule. Pre reserve your stays near the national parks and on weekends. Freelance in between. Get a lot of shopper discount cards or use Walmart Supercenters (they are all laid out the same so you don't waste time looking). About 5 days food is a good compromise based on weight, space and refigarator. My opinion, you got 10lbs of vacation in a 5lb bag, make 2 trips. I went 11,503 miles in 6 weeks. I was exhausted. Going back out west next year, same time (6 weeks) half the states (northwest only). Enjoy. I spent 7 days in yellowstone in 3 different campgrounds and it wasn't enough. I have a lot of indivisual specific info. but I am not a good typer, so I can give specific suggestions if you need them. Safe travels and happy camping.

2006 Volvo VNL42T630 465HP 1650ft/lbs. 12 speed Freedomline
themisfitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:21 PM   #17
Red

I have to admit to being biased in my view, but having been to most of the sites you are planning to see definately DO NOT omit Custer State Park. Yellowstone is a great park but it is overcrowded with both animals (more wildlife than it should support) and people while Custer State Park is not. Having camped from Mexico to Alaska and many points in between Custer State Park is still one of our favorites.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like a wonderful trip you are planning out West! We too are going West this summer, we will be hitting Hill City SD, Cody WY, West Yellowstone MT and the Grand Canyon. Taking in all the attractions and back roads by tow that we can. I have planned, made reservations. The best part about RVing is you can do what you want and when you want to! Enjoy your trip!
Old 02-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #19

Well, I think I will give you some insights on this type of travel. My family has done this type of travels for the last 3 years and will continue for a few more.

First, At least one day a week should be planned as a shop and wash day. Or, you can do a 'get their early and wash day' plus a travel day that is shorter than most so you can stop a Walmart for a couple of hours that day. Yes, plan at least 2 hours at Walmart once a week.
Second, plan on driving days and sight-seeing days. Get somewhere in the late afternoon and spend the next day sight-seeing the major attractions. Then, if it's a one-day stop, leave in the morning after the sight-seeing day. This means 2 nights minimum for major stops.

Now, how we do it:
Most days are planned for 500 miles at the most. That is what the family calls 'a long drive day'. To make this trip enjoyable, plan on 350 to 400 miles each day to allow for side stops. It's not just you that gets tired, but the kids. And once kids get cranky, Momma gets cranky, and you know where that ends. And be VERY flexible about those side trips. My family has had more fun on those than most of the major stops. Last summer, a 'side trip' to the Homestead National Monument ended up having us change our route and we ended up seeing Scott's Bluff and Ft Laramie. Even went into an additional state.

Be flexible about dropping planed stops. Some things may not be appealing after you have seen other things. You can only stop at so many places to see animals before you don't want to see any more.

After reading that, it looks like I just killed your plans. Well, I really did not. The problem is that kids only look at things for a short period of time before they are 'bored'. Decide if this is a trip to show the kids the great things this country has to offer or if it a trip to let you enjoy fully those things. If it is the first, you only need one day (or even 1/2 day) at most places. If the latter, then you need to rethink taking the kids. Nobody will be happy. We chose the first and it has worked out for us. The wife and I now know where we want to go by ourselves later when we have some time. But, if we never get there again, we have seen more sights this way even if not as good as most would like.

We only needed 1/2 day at Grand Canyon. We spent the other 1/2 day seeing other sights within an hour or two driving distance. Be willing to make 'day trips' leaving the RV behind at a centrally located campground. It actually saves a lot of fuel, even if you do sometimes double-back. We expected to need a day at Mt. Rushmore. It took all of 2 hours. On the day we went to Mt. Rushmore, we stopped at Devil's Tower but still arrived at Mt. Rushmore area earlier than planed, so we figured we would check out the mountain to decide our next day's plan. We ended up leaving the next day and using the extra day later on the trip. Glacier: We spent two days. One would have been enough. We ended up driving into Canada and seeing their side of the park. (BTW, take your passports or such. You never know what you might decide to do.) Yellowstone: After 1 1/2 days, the kids were VERY ready to leave. They had seen enough. We had scheduled 3 days, but due to RV troubles, we were delayed. During that 1 1/2 days we actually did both the northwest loop, the southwest loop, and even drove down to the Tetons. (FYI: Stay at West Yellowstone at the Grizzly RV park. Nice.)

One nice thing for the kids (and you) is to throw in an amusement or water park (even better) once every 2-3 weeks. For something really strange, stop in St. Louis and go to the "City Museum". It is not really a museum in the normal sense. My kids HATE museums, but this place is a fun day, even for the parent. Think of it as a type of am park. We are going back again this year. (http:www.citymuseum.org)

Now, about the 'long multi-day' drives. You will have a few of these. Try not to schedule these more than once every two weeks. These are the days that you know it's time to 'get it on the road and go'. Stop when you get tired or if it is close to getting dark. In the summer, by the time it gets dark, it is already past time you should have stopped. Nobody likes to setup in the dark. And the driving is safer. On these type of days, my wife expects me to 'get the rig level and hook up' and then I get a nap while she cooks. I then eat and I am off to bed. She entertains the kids and keeps them quiet. Learn how to 'cheat' at setting up. Leave the ball hooked, but drop the bars. Learn to sometimes use levelers under the tow vehicle to get the front of the trailer up level if needed.

Teach the kids a 'job' and how to do it right. One kid can do water while the other does power. Someone drops the stabilizers. Mother gets the inside ready. Same with take down. Remember that overnight stops do not always require water or sewer. But power is always needed. Maybe save some money at some campgrounds, but I have found that the better sites are normally the full-hookup sites. Much more level and easier to setup. I just don't always hook everything up.

This can be a very enjoyable time as long has you 'go with the flow'.

Also, we have found that rest area lunches work better than fast-food. We usually schedule a 1 hour stop. Kids run around while Mom fixes the food (hot dogs, burritos, grilled cheese, or cold sandwiches). It is really easy to do some fast cooking on the stove. Just don't bother with the dishes on travel days until you get to the campground. The dirty dishes ride real well in the sink and it saves a lot of time. We also do this with morning meals so we can get going faster. Yes, some people can't stand a dirty dish setting all day, but with as few dishes as you will be using, it does not really matter. Make the trip a vacation, not a job. If the kids do not make their beds, who cares, they are the ones sleeping in it. Also, moping and such should not be on a schedule. Do it when needed.

One other thing that makes it interesting for the younger kids (6-14), when you go to National Parks, have them do the Junior Ranger program and get a badge. Get the $50 Annual National Parks Pass at your first park. Then you don't have to worry about entrance fees as you make unexpected side trips.

We also do the Longaberger convention most years. We enjoy staying at Buckeye Lake KOA. It's not a bad drive in the morning to drop of the wife while the kids sleep in. Then, the whole family goes in for the evening events. And, it's also not a bad drive to the homestead. Get a site with cable for the kids (and you).

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:56 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Thanks for your detailed reply. I guess you really have "Been There Done That"! I thought I'd comment on some of your excellent ideas about our trip...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BeenThere DoneThat:
First, At least one day a week should be planned as a shop and wash day. Or, you can do a 'get their early and wash day' plus a travel day that is shorter than most so you can stop a Walmart for a couple of hours that day. Yes, plan at least 2 hours at Walmart once a week. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Great idea. Hadn't really thought about the "normal living" types of activities.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Second, plan on driving days and sight-seeing days. Get somewhere in the late afternoon and spend the next day sight-seeing the major attractions. Then, if it's a one-day stop, leave in the morning after the sight-seeing day. This means 2 nights minimum for major stops. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was also thinking about possibly driving in the evening to get close to our next stop, if it's not too far and just hole up in a Walmart that night. Then, since we aren't making a lot of reservations, we can be at a campground fairly early to check for openings. Yes?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now, how we do it:
Most days are planned for 500 miles at the most. That is what the family calls 'a long drive day'. To make this trip enjoyable, plan on 350 to 400 miles each day to allow for side stops. It's not just you that gets tired, but the kids. And once kids get cranky, Momma gets cranky, and you know where that ends. And be VERY flexible about those side trips. My family has had more fun on those than most of the major stops. Last summer, a 'side trip' to the Homestead National Monument ended up having us change our route and we ended up seeing Scott's Bluff and Ft Laramie. Even went into an additional state.

Be flexible about dropping planed stops. Some things may not be appealing after you have seen other things. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup, that's why we aren't making a lot of reservations.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You can only stop at so many places to see animals before you don't want to see any more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I've yet to see the day that my family got tired of seeing animals! They would stand forever at Bucsh Gardens watching the TOROISES! for crying out loud!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>After reading that, it looks like I just killed your plans. Well, I really did not. The problem is that kids only look at things for a short period of time before they are 'bored'. Decide if this is a trip to show the kids the great things this country has to offer or if it a trip to let you enjoy fully those things. If it is the first, you only need one day (or even 1/2 day) at most places. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Again, we're staying real flexible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now, about the 'long multi-day' drives. You will have a few of these. Try not to schedule these more than once every two weeks. These are the days that you know it's time to 'get it on the road and go'. Stop when you get tired or if it is close to getting dark. In the summer, by the time it gets dark, it is already past time you should have stopped. Nobody likes to setup in the dark. And the driving is safer. On these type of days, my wife expects me to 'get the rig level and hook up' and then I get a nap while she cooks. I then eat and I am off to bed. She entertains the kids and keeps them quiet. Learn how to 'cheat' at setting up. Leave the ball hooked, but drop the bars. Learn to sometimes use levelers under the tow vehicle to get the front of the trailer up level if needed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We will have a large quantity of electronic entertainment including VCR, DVD, XBox, as well as their books, etc. for the long days. They are typically good travelers and we have done several 12-14 hours days without too much bloodshed. (Although not for days in a row). Our longest time on the road is right at the beginning of the trip for that reason.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Teach the kids a 'job' and how to do it right. One kid can do water while the other does power. Someone drops the stabilizers. Mother gets the inside ready. Same with take down. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup, 16 year old does the jacks and most of the cables/hoses, I unhook from tow vehicle and do the sewer. 8 year old walks dogs and Mom does all the inside stuff.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This can be a very enjoyable time as long has you 'go with the flow'.

Also, we have found that rest area lunches work better than fast-food. We usually schedule a 1 hour stop. Kids run around while Mom fixes the food (hot dogs, burritos, grilled cheese, or cold sandwiches). It is really easy to do some fast cooking on the stove. Just don't bother with the dishes on travel days until you get to the campground. The dirty dishes ride real well in the sink and it saves a lot of time. We also do this with morning meals so we can get going faster. Yes, some people can't stand a dirty dish setting all day, but with as few dishes as you will be using, it does not really matter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Paper plates and lots of lunchmeat/peanut butter during travel times.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Make the trip a vacation, not a job. If the kids do not make their beds, who cares, they are the ones sleeping in it. Also, moping and such should not be on a schedule. Do it when needed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup. they know they get bye's frequently on the standard chores, showers, etc when we're traveling.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One other thing that makes it interesting for the younger kids (6-14), when you go to National Parks, have them do the Junior Ranger program and get a badge. Get the $50 Annual National Parks Pass at your first park. Then you don't have to worry about entrance fees as you make unexpected side trips. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, in the plans.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We also do the Longaberger convention most years. We enjoy staying at Buckeye Lake KOA. It's not a bad drive in the morning to drop of the wife while the kids sleep in. Then, the whole family goes in for the evening events. And, it's also not a bad drive to the homestead. Get a site with cable for the kids (and you). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for that recommendation. Should we make reservations? Do they fill up because of the Bee? Thanks again.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:38 AM   #21

Couple of random thoughts. Every family is different, so what ever floats your boat.

Yes, peanut butter and cold-cuts look good for lunches, but they do get boring after several day. That is why I mentioned using the stove at noon rest-stop breaks.

We also have tv, dvd, vcr and such, but the I have found that the kids (and adults) need to streach every 4 hours or so. That is why we don't do the 15 minute lunch stop. We sometimes get back on the road in 30 minutes, but I don't plan on it. But no more than an hour.

Remember that depending on where you are in each time zone, it may get dark an hour later or sooner when looking at local time. Going west, you will have more driving time than going east. Be cautious that you don't streach yourself too much. It's better to take 4 days and feel relaxed than to take 3 days and be good for nothing on the 4th day.

Also, make plans for what you will skip during different parts of the trip if you have auto or tt problems. You are putting the vehicles though a lot of work and things do happen. My first trip, I had a bearing spin on the tt axle and a power stearing pump go out on my 1 year old van (in MT where they had to tow it 90 miles). Also, if you use special oil (I use Amsoil), take enough for an oil change and 6-8 spare quarts. You will need to get the oil changed once during this trip, if not twice. Even with Amsoil 25,000 mile oil, I change my oil about every 5,000 miles when towing. So plan a day (or two) to get your oil changed. I have found that dealers understand your travel plan and will fit you in for oil changes if you get there early in the morning. Of course, there is always WalMart oil changes while you shop.

About Buckeye Lake KOA. If you want cable or near the wi-fi antenna you should make reservations. I have not seen if full.

Oh, and I HATE paper plates when traveling. I like real knifes, forks, etc. We do have light-weight plastic plates, but at least the knive does not cut them in half.

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote