Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #1

Portland, OR to Jackson, WY via 84, 15, 26?

We will leave Portland, OR for Jackson (Grand Teton NP) about June 1. So, in my "Mountain Directory", there are warnings for Hwy. 84 between Pendleton and La Grande (have driven this in a car, and know it is not fun). Also, before reaching Ontario, OR.
Also, please comment on the warning for Hwy. 26 which then gets into Jackson. Or is there another highway you would suggest to get us from the main highway into Jackson, like Hwy. 22?

Our overall plan is to visit Grand Teton NP and work our way north to Yellowstone, then return home to the WA coast.
Thanks!
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #2

Hiway 22 goes over Teton Pass. I towed over it once with a 28 ft TT behind an F350. We drove Hwy 26 into Alpine this past fall with the motor home and toad - it is 2 lane, scenic hiway and we have driven it several times. There is a State Park in Ririe that is pretty nice and reasonably priced. ($25 FHU)
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the warnings about I-84 concern you, and you have been that route in a car, You aren't gonna like Hy 22 and Teton Pass. Do a web search on Teton Pass.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #4

Hyw 22 over Teton pass is very steep (10%) and I would avoid pulling a big trailer over. Rt 26 is the easiest going from Idaho Falls to Alpine Wyoming to Jackson What is the warning for 26?
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #5

26 from Hwy 20 at Idaho Falls to Alpine, WY is just about flat. I don't know what you read about it.

You definitely don't want to drive Hwy 22 (Teton Pass) if I-84 bothered you in a car.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToWine View Post
..... So, in my "Mountain Directory", there are warnings for Hwy. 84 between Pendleton and La Grande (have driven this in a car, and know it is not fun). ....
Not fun, are you kidding me? Driven it hundreds of times and it is an easy
and beautiful drive. It is less fun in the MH because there are sections of steeper than usual for the interstate.

I tend to avoid I-84 because there other alternatives without trucks but you have to enjoy mountain driving. I did not discover them until I retired and had more time to explore. Stop by an Oregon visitor center and get a travel magazine with scenic drives.

When I go from the Washington coast to near Pendleton, I take white pass (US-12). Beautiful drive and not an ugly citiy.

I visited Yellowstone last June coming from the east. I recommend not driving an RV into Yellowstone because got crazy with tourists. The beauty of the area does not end at the national park boundary.

First night I stayed in a huge city park that was almost empty. I thought I would scout the NP campgrounds in the TOAD. Breath taking drive that I would not want to do in a MH. At time some point in Yellowstone I pulled off the road to take a short nap. Next thing you know there is a traffic jam. People are parked behind me and walking up to see what I was looking at. Guard rail and some trees.

So each night I opted for the quite place I was at and took a different route every day.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #7

Thank you so much everyone! This is very much appreciated. In answer to about the warning on Hwy. 26, the guide calls the warning "Winchester Hill" but it looks very doable especially considering where we have been last year. But the info on the Teton Pass is appreciated. We want to do GT first and make our way to Yellowstone and go home from there.

I think the apprehensive part is gambling on getting campsites with nor reservations. And yes, we most likely will NOT stay inside Yellowstone.
LovesToWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #8

Winchester Hill is on Hwy 95 south of Lewiston. You didn't say you're going that way.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #9

Perhaps the two greatest dangers of Oregon passes this time of yr is snow...and the ever present downgrade...The down grade is not dangerous in itself..it is the vehicle itself that can be dangerous..Just because one can get up...does not mean one can get down safely..Think long durations of brake drag building up heat, once that starts it gets hairy...The brakes fade and more pressure is applied...the more pressure the higher the heat and the greater the fade..

If your brakes are in top condition no problems...if not a check would be in order.What goes for trucks or cars is one thing...a heavy RV is a entirely another matter.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...eton-pass.html

Enough said enjoy.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks