Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Portland To Denver Without Wyoming

We have a 40' Monaco Knight. We have made the trip to Denver, CO from Portland many times and I just hate going through Wyoming to get there. It is very windy and last year there were two deadly pile ups in two weeks time due to snow involving big rigs, motor homes and cars.

We will be leaving Portland on September 10th and we are trying to arrive in Mesa AZ by October 1st. Does any one have any ideas on a safe route for this time of year without Wyoming or Hwy 70? I know I am asking for a lot, but if you can help we would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Tish & Gary

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Portland to Mesa via Denver? No I-70?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #3

You pretty much have just I-5 to the 10 as the "no backtrack' option. (assuming that you don't actually have to go to Denver).

A modest backtrack is 5->CA58->40->US93/I17 route.

If you want/have to go to Denver, I'd do the 70 that time of year, just avoid Sunday afternoon into Denver as the traffic can be epic.

Steve
Old 08-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #4

Not sure why you want to go to Denver if you're heading to Mesa. But...you could take I-84 through Idaho to I-15 at Ogden, Utah to Hwy 40 east to I-25 and Denver.

If it's Mesa you want to get to take I-94 to I-15 to St. George, Utah to Hwy 9/59/389 to AZ89 at Fredonia, AZ and either 89 to Page, AZ of 89A to 89 south to Flagstaff, AZ and I-17 south to Mesa.

There are lots of secondary roads you could also take depending if you want to stop anywhere in particular. Have you been to the southern Utah national parks? They would be worth a stop...Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...a safe route for this time of year without Wyoming or Hwy 70?
Assuming that you need to go to Denver for some reason and you want the most direct route without going through Wyoming nor using I-70, then I believe the only other alternative would be to use US40 from the Salt Lake area ...click here

US40 is a good road but primarily 2-lane. It gets quite desolate in spots and some of those desolate stretches might remind you of using some of the state and US highways going through Nevada where it almost feels that you go for miles and miles without seeing another vehicle ...not really the case but sometimes it feels that way but still not as bad as some of those state highways in Nevada. And I know some do not like long stretches on 2-lane roads as it gets to be stressful to pass and be passed as well as watching for those passing in the oncoming lane.

Yes, if you have time, southern Utah is always nice to do some sightseeing but to get back to Denver from the St. George area, the fastest routing would be to go back to I-70 again but you said you didn't want to use I-70.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

Just thinking outside the box ...
Portland to Walla Walla to Lewiston to Missoula to Butte to Casper to Cheyenne to Denver
That is the only route that I see that avoids I-80 and I-70.

I have travelled a lot of US-40 in Colorado in a car and some in a motorhome ... there is some tough driving between Hayden and Idaho Springs (Berthoud Pass for instance) ... and you have been on I-70 from Idaho Springs into Denver there are some long downhill stretches on that road

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #7

Casper to Cheyenne, while not the 80, is most definitely part of the annual Wyoming Wind Festival (which generally runs from January 1 to December 31st) and can be just as hairy as the 80...

Steve
Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #8

I've lived in Wyoming for the past 23 years so I don't understand your reluctance. The wind doesn't always blow in Wyoming, it just seems that way. The weather shouldn't be an issue at the time of your travel and if it is, just stop for a few hours to a day and it will clear up. You can't get from Portland to Denver without mountain driving.

You could take I-90 to I-94 to US-85 south to I-90 to Rapid City, SD, then US-385 to Sidney, NE, and then SR-19/SR-113 to US-138 into Sterling, CO. There you can pick up I-76 into Denver. That bypasses Wyoming and as much mountain driving as possible, but it is out-of-the-way.

If you don't mind mountain driving, take I-84 to I-80 to US-40 to I-70 just west of Denver. An alternate to I-70 would be to take US-34 through Rocky Mountain NP into Estes Park and down to I-25 into Denver.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #9

TIMISHA (OP): Has any of the above information helped you? Come back and let us know the route you've chosen.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote