Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Propane restrictions?

Being a newbie ( 2 wks old). What are propane road restrictions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #2

Glad to have you here with us.

A few roads but most tunnels do not allow RVs with propane to travel on or thru them. In some places like ferrys you have to turn your propane off to use them.
I hope this answers the question.

Happy Trails!!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike reading View Post
Being a newbie ( 2 wks old). What are propane road restrictions?
Sorry, I don't know of any restrictions. However, I always travel with the tank valve turned off.
It would not take much of a collision to create a leak, then it goes down hill fast from that point.
But I am lucky that my fridge runs on electric (inverter).

Dan
Old 03-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post

Glad to have you here with us.

A few roads but most tunnels do not allow RVs with propane to travel on or thru them. In some places like ferrys you have to turn your propane off to use them.
I hope this answers the question.

Happy Trails!!
What about a CNG powered vehicle? Is the rule for propane specifically, or any compressed flammable gas?
Dan
Old 03-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #5

Cars using LPG are exempt from the restriction if the system was factory installed. A conversion would have restrictions.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Sorry, I don't know of any restrictions. However, I always travel with the tank valve turned off.

It would not take much of a collision to create a leak, then it goes down hill fast from that point.

But I am lucky that my fridge runs on electric (inverter).

Dan

No issue there at all, every vehicle mounted propane tank is required by law to be equipped with a hydrostatic valve, if the flow of propane exceeds what the system is designed for (total BTU's of everything on board) the valve stops the flow of gas at the tank.

The only way a collision can light the gas off is too much heat from a fire or puncturing the tank, in either case the valve on or off would make zero difference.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even too much heat is not that big an issue... The tank is designed to vent if that happens so the "Fire" is not all that big.

A puncture would be serious. but again is not that easy to do

The scene in NCIS where Gibbs double tapps (Shoots twice) the propane tanks and blows up the RV....Not possible..that was explosives set off by the FX man.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #8

FWIW I'm not sure there are too many tunnels that worry about more than turning off the tank. For instance I know Baltimore has a couple of tunnels that ban propane but the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel system just says to turn it off. The ferries I used in VA and NC never asked but they were on deck loads so ventilation was not a problem. The point really is to be aware and check the web site of any tunnels you might be using. You also want to verify clearances and maybe check the toll rates. ;-)
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #9

I have a Rand McNally GPS for the trailer when I tow it. The only time I have had any issues with carrying propane was last fall in MA. The GPS stated that some of the interstate would not allow the trailer with propane tanks in the trailer; such as I95 in the Boston area. I was routed around Boston on the I495 which was a longer route to ME but I could run the propane for the refrigerator.

Jim W.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One tunnel I drive around (I have no reason to drive through though some day...I might,, With just the towed) The signs saying "NO propane Allowed" (And other restrictions as well) Start a good 20 miles before the turn off to go THROUGH the tunnel. I might add there is a very easy Drive Around (Which I take). Most of the restricted places are like that... Only one was I ever caught by surprise and they did not object to my 20 pounder.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #11

When I'm in a big city area I follow the Hazardous Cargo route that is posted by signage with a large HC directing vehicles with hazardous cargo which route to use. I've never had a problem following that signage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:30 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
One tunnel I drive around (I have no reason to drive through though some day...I might,, With just the towed) The signs saying "NO propane Allowed" (And other restrictions as well) Start a good 20 miles before the turn off to go THROUGH the tunnel. I might add there is a very easy Drive Around (Which I take). Most of the restricted places are like that... Only one was I ever caught by surprise and they did not object to my 20 pounder.
So why don't you tell everyone where this place is? It does the OP no good whatsoever to describe as you did, and then not tell him/her where it is...
Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The highway tunnel under the harbor near Norfolk may still require RV's to stop and be inspected prior to entering the tunnel. In my case, this was a few years back when we had our travel trailer, and they required I turn the tank valves off (two tanks) and disconnect the lines to those tanks.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The FMCSA/DOT HC & HM rules only apply to CMV's transporting HC or HM in commerce, not comsumer commodity quantities